Whipple 2.3 @ 21psi, race fuel dyno results

Avenger

Established Member
Just wanted to share last week's experience. I actually put the car on the dyno to fine tune it last week and I left with 669 / 667 with 20deg of timing. I picked up an average of 30whp / 30wtq throughout the RPM range by backing timing from 23 to 20deg. I've always assumed 23 was "Maximum Brake Torque" so I set it there and never played with it. I was shocked to say the least. Here's a graph showing the improvement

run.jpg

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/new-best-cobra-14_708387.htm"]new best cobra 1/4 - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

Went to the track last weekend to see if the car would perform better and actually beat my best trap ever 2 out of 3 passes with a 30mph headwind ! New best trap of 133.4mph. Also got a new best 60ft at 1.54 thanks to the newfound bottom end torque with the car slightly bogging off the line. Can't wait to get back this weekend and see if I can put this thing in the 10.3X @ 135, would be awesome !!

Motor is 100% stock down to the factory exhaust manifolds. Car is full weight except for spare tire and a set of racing wheels. Race weight in the neighborhood of 4000lbs :rollseyes

:beer:

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man that's awesome. I assume that's your race fuel tune? Good luck on getting that ET down some more. It is that time of year.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
So with a 2.3 Whipp @ 21lbs and 20* of Timing it laid down 669 /667??

That is impressive! What octane?

I want to get mine on the dyno and see what it lays down in this colder weather...

Great results no doubt!!

Avenger

Established Member
That is indeed the numbers it put down on the race tune using VP MS109 oxygenated fuel. The car was probably seeing a bit more boost as it was around 60*F outside. I didn't datalog it but pulley combo is 4# lower and 3.0" upper on Gen2 Whipple.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Congrats on the new numbers, crazy it made that much more power with less timing. BTW you're race weight is probably quite a bit lower than that, unless you're a 450lb+ guy.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
That is indeed the numbers it put down on the race tune using VP MS109 oxygenated fuel. The car was probably seeing a bit more boost as it was around 60*F outside. I didn't datalog it but pulley combo is 4# lower and 3.0" upper on Gen2 Whipple.

That pulley combo is exactly what I run on my 2.2l for my Race tune, well when I got it dynod, haven't been on the street with that set up. I was seeing 20-21psi with it on the dyno, ~ 102* in the shop at the time of tuning.

Congrats again :beer:

Avenger

Established Member
Congrats on the new numbers, crazy it made that much more power with less timing. BTW you're race weight is probably quite a bit lower than that, unless you're a 450lb+ guy.

Well, I'm a 350lb guy and I know these cars tip the scale at around 3650lb so that seems about right, no ?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Well, I'm a 350lb guy and I know these cars tip the scale at around 3650lb so that seems about right, no ?

Well you're a big boy, but the spare tire/jack drop a little over 40lbs and those Bogarts are good for over a 100lbs. Aftermarket exhaust will cut off another 25-40lbs depending on the combo, so figure between 3800-3850 raceweight most likely.

Avenger

Established Member
well then you should add for the heavier blower / larger radiator and intercooler / twin disk clutch / subframe connectors / wideband / 2step / return style fuel system. Bet it adds up as fast as you substract it. I'll have to put it on a scale !

Users who are viewing this thread