Whipple 2.3

NERDKILLER

Established Member
Guy what combo should I go with and what #'s should I expect. I Currently have a 4lb lower and just got my whipple with a 2.75 Reichard pulley on it. Should I remove the lower or change the upper. Or keep the combo I will have. What kind of boost will I be running and what HP numbers should I be around.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Depends on a lot of factors....mainly your fuel. That combo "as is" would be well over 20psi....better be on E85. If all you have is pump gas....you'll want to change both the pulleys most likely....a common 93 pump gas setup would the stock crank with a 3.0 upper, this will put you about 18psi and you should see 565-585 wheel on a safe, conservative tune.

If you have access to it and the fuel parts to run E85....and you pulley it 20+psi....you should see right near 700 wheel

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would install the largest blower pulley that clears the hood which I think is close to 3 1/2" and size the lower to set the boost you are after. That way you maximize the belt-to-pulley contact area minimizing slip. I recall the guys who spun-up the early Kenne Bell 2.2 using an upper that was no bigger than the hub it was riding on which looked horrid from a slip and tight bend on the belt perspective. I can only imagine the tension needed on that belt to keep it from slipping which is hard on the bearings.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
The gen 2 2.3 is pretty much maxed out with what you have at 22ish pounds, no sense in doing anything else. It's time to upgrade to a 2.9.

I would install the largest blower pulley that clears the hood which I think is close to 3 1/2" and size the lower to set the boost you are after. That way you maximize the belt-to-pulley contact area minimizing slip. I recall the guys who spun-up the early Kenne Bell 2.2 using an upper that was no bigger than the hub it was riding on which looked horrid from a slip and tight bend on the belt perspective. I can only imagine the tension needed on that belt to keep it from slipping which is hard on the bearings.

I run a 2.66 upper on my gen 2 whipple 2.3 with the stock tensioner and have 0 slip.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I run a 2.66 upper on my gen 2 whipple 2.3 with the stock tensioner and have 0 slip.

A 3 1/2" pulley has 1.3 x the surface area of a 2.66 pulley and will require less belt tension to prevent slipping which is what I was getting at. Keep in mind the belt could still be slipping but not enough for you or I to notice it's all a matter of "degree". A bigger driven pulley is always a better idea than a smaller one for reason stated.

Users who are viewing this thread