Whipple 2.9 kit uses stock Injectors?

billabong333

Established Member
Thanks Goose for the injector info. Its really informative stuff. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna go ahead and order a C&R H/E. Is the 9" dual fan for $799 part #56-00000 the one that most users get or is it the Super Snake Heat Exchanger part #56-00001 with the 12" fans for $1199?

nxhappy

Established Member
Thanks Goose for the injector info. Its really informative stuff. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna go ahead and order a C&R H/E. Is the 9" dual fan for $799 part #56-00000 the one that most users get or is it the Super Snake Heat Exchanger part #56-00001 with the 12" fans for $1199?

The regular 9" setup will be just fine

billabong333

Established Member
Thanks nxhappy. I will ask my tuner to datalog also. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the input on this thread. ITs been very helpful.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
What prompted the Whipple folks here to get the Whipple vs a KB 3.2 or KB 3.6?

- C.A.R.B. cert
- Largest displacement blower that fits under the stock hood without modification or engine lowering
- Based on my research, they routinely make more torque than KB 2.8 (mod for mod)
- Looks and sounds awesome

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yeah, I forgot! The CARB certification was also a major factor since I live in an emissions state. Also, Whipple has been around forever and is a name I trust.

Wingrider

Established Member
This is all great feedback and wasn't intended to be a thread jack. I want to go ahead and run the 13/14 GT500 injectors and it sounds like the 2.9 Whipple wouldn't really need it. (Pulled it back on topic…. and then)

I was about to dismiss the 2.8 KB and it looks like there is a new 3.2 KB that fits under the hood using the 2.8 case and newer rotors. I'm still leaning towards the Whipple for all of the reasons folks have mentioned like plug and play Ford solution and CARB but that 3.2...

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my car datalogged on the dyno by a guy that tunes Mustangs. He said I had a problem since my fuel pump duty cycle went to 100% somewhere around 4,000 RPMs and flatlined all the way to redline. I submitted the datalog to the engineers at SVT and they replied with "the guy doesn't know what he is talking about and doesn't understand our tune." The Ford tune has Adaptive Cat Protection which sprays additional fuel when WOT to keep the cats cool. The 100% duty cycle was the cat protection doing its job. The engineer said what you really should look at is Commanded Air/Fuel vs. Actual Air/Fuel. My 2 graphs lined up nicely. The Ford tune will also start to close the throttle when fuel goes lean - another protection strategy.

Had my FRPP/Whipple 725hp kit on the dyno and the lower AFR graph displays what Goose is describing. Around 4500 rpm, cat protection kicks in and AFR goes rich to cool the cats.

AFR.jpg

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Tob- do we know if the fuel pump being offered in the FR Whipple kit is/was the same fuel pump that is/was used in the 13/14 GT500's?

No, it's not. The upgraded fuel pump assembly is a Paul's High Performance product designed specifically for this kit.

sono

Established Member
I recently upgraded to a trinity kb setup from power by the hour after suffering these same decisions. I'm still not sure if my 13 injectors with the KB bap was the way to go. Maybe Ford new the way with the bigger fuel pumps.
I plan to graduate from lazy ass and do some data logging as well in the near future. At 680 whp I have no idea what temps or duty cycles are doing.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
http://www.teamjdm.com/2007-2014-sh...grade/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0
This kit we put together using 72# injectors, our Custom SCT tune, JLT Air intake, FRPP throttle body, and 2.9L Whipple to produce just over 700 HP at the tires.

Wait a minute! You're telling me that some injectors and one of your tunes can get me to 725HP at the tires??? I already have the other parts, save for the supercharger belt, on top of having upgraded fuel pumps, TRIX7 spark plugs and the Super Cobra Jet monoblade throttle body. What can you do for me?

nxhappy

Established Member
I recently upgraded to a trinity kb setup from power by the hour after suffering these same decisions. I'm still not sure if my 13 injectors with the KB bap was the way to go. Maybe Ford new the way with the bigger fuel pumps.
I plan to graduate from lazy ass and do some data logging as well in the near future. At 680 whp I have no idea what temps or duty cycles are doing.

55lb injectors with BAP should be OK for 680 whp . As far as temps....I hope you have a dual fan HE with that much power...

JimIII@jdm

You suggest the 72# injectors in your kit vs the 13/14 used on the 5.8?

Yes the 13-14 injectors are 55# and your stock injectors are 47#, not much of an upgrade. The 13-14 injectors are good for someone getting by making less than 700 HP at the wheels. When trying to make more than that we prefer our customers use an injector that gives them more range. The 13-14 injectors are popular because they are cheap, and will stretch a little further than stock. We prefer using 72#, 80#, or id1000 injectors on our applications.

JimIII@jdm

Wait a minute! You're telling me that some injectors and one of your tunes can get me to 725HP at the tires??? I already have the other parts, save for the supercharger belt, on top of having upgraded fuel pumps, TRIX7 spark plugs and the Super Cobra Jet monoblade throttle body. What can you do for me?

Yes, we usually see between 700-725 RWHP with our 2.9L whipple kit. If you have a 3.00 pulley and the following mods mentioned in our kit we can get you there too. Also we prefer the TR6 plugs, the IX7's are way too cold for a street car. Ford really put these kits together the exact opposite way we would have! I don't know why they bothered upgrading the pumps before the injectors. I can only assume it was who they had tuning for them at the time that wanted to use this combination.

JimIII@jdm

Jdm how boost are you making that 700rwhp?

We order the blower with a 3.00" pulley. Depending on the combination most of our customers see between 17-19 psi. Now that boost is peak, at red line.. most of the RPM band the boost curve is around 15-16 psi and creeps up as RPM builds. With stock manifolds I've seen it peak at 19 psi. Which is fine, we account for it with some extra fuel in that area where boost is peaking. A car with headers or free flowing exhaust will make a little less boost but will make more power from efficiency.

Last edited:

Wingrider

Established Member
….I submitted the datalog to the engineers at SVT and they replied with "the guy doesn't know what he is talking about and doesn't understand our tune." The Ford tune has Adaptive Cat Protection which sprays additional fuel when WOT to keep the cats cool. The 100% duty cycle was the cat protection doing its job. The engineer said what you really should look at is Commanded Air/Fuel vs. Actual Air/Fuel. My 2 graphs lined up nicely. The Ford tune will also start to close the throttle when fuel goes lean - another protection strategy.

How did you get to SVT engineers? Is that public?

Users who are viewing this thread