Whipple 2.9 on stock fuel....

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I have the money tucked away for the 2.9, JLT big air, LM72 and fuel, but I feel guilty about spending it all at once. Also, part of the fun for me modding a car is being able to do it in pieces and get incremental performance bumps. If I "shot my wad" on the whole package, I would pretty much be done except for clutch, and headers untill I wanted to do the block.

Seeing how the VMP TVS can be run on the stock fuel system at 17psi, I would think the stage 1 whipple kit would be just fine as well with the 3.25" pulley (stock tb). You could possibly even get away with the 3.125" as the stock TB will restrict boost some as well. This would let me mod in stages somewhat, so I could get the enjoyment out of the mods an extra time, while leaving me plenty of room to grow in the future. It would also leave me a "step" when I got used to the power.

What do you guys think?

bull3441

Established Member
never cut corners on fuel, just bite the bullit and do it right the first time. i know on my tuners Mustang MD 1100 dyno, no GT500 has made past 580whp on stock fuel. take into account for down the road when your fuel filter starts to get dirty etc. just do 72lbs inj and a BAP. Van sells the injectors cheaper than any one i've seen and also gave me a good deal on the BAP. i would also bet my car that the VMP TVS would never come close to breaking 600whp on stock fuel on my shop's dyno.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
A BAP will take u to around 16-17lbs. After that you will need injectors.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I broke the 700 mark on stock fuel and 16.5 lbs (3.25 pulley) with the 2.9. I have since added the Pauls Fuel Pumps just for peace of mind but was good.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just do it all at once. Otherwise, unless you do the work, you are paying for additional labor, tuning, and dyno time.

Poisnus Shelby

Established Member
I added the KB boost a pump when I did my 2.9 Whipple. Laid down 709 at the wheels. I would at least do the pump or injectors. I have 72 lbs going in once I find time.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Just do it all at once. Otherwise, unless you do the work, you are paying for additional labor, tuning, and dyno time.

I know pulling the Whipple off is a lot tougher than a KB because of the screws under the inlet. The KB uses an adpater plate and the blower bolts to the adpater plate from mid-blower to the front. I can swap injectors in a hour or so with the KB.

If I were doing a Whipple I would go ahead and pop for the 72# injectors. I do not care what you think right now, the day will come when you will want more power.

I've owned four Cobras including a 2003 with a KB. My plans were to not mod my GT500 when I bought it. :lol:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
That us a good point on the injectors. Ploping them in now will save me some time down the road. I am not sure that is a pro or con though since doing the work is part of the fun.

I am very well aware that I will want more power. This is not my first rodeo :) It is more of breaking up the power over two installs, which are typically good "car days" with my buddies.

I found a member who ran the 3.25 with a stock tb and offroad x. The car made 640wh0 on a dynojet. He had injectors, but judging all the vmp kits putting down similar power in stock fuel. That car made just under 15lbs of boost.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I have the money tucked away for the 2.9, JLT big air, LM72 and fuel, but I feel guilty about spending it all at once. Also, part of the fun for me modding a car is being able to do it in pieces and get incremental performance bumps. If I "shot my wad" on the whole package, I would pretty much be done except for clutch, and headers untill I wanted to do the block.

Seeing how the VMP TVS can be run on the stock fuel system at 17psi, I would think the stage 1 whipple kit would be just fine as well with the 3.25" pulley (stock tb). You could possibly even get away with the 3.125" as the stock TB will restrict boost some as well. This would let me mod in stages somewhat, so I could get the enjoyment out of the mods an extra time, while leaving me plenty of room to grow in the future. It would also leave me a "step" when I got used to the power.

What do you guys think?

I tend to complete a project. So when I did the 2.9 I did all the other mods as well. Heck, nice to know your safe: aka- fuel;-)

You'll always have other mods to do down the road.....

my $.02

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
I'd go ahead and get all the supporting mods in as far as fuel injectors/induction and then just run a larger pulley for now if you are really set on doing this in 2 stages. That would also leave you with headers, midpipe, BAP (if you think you'll need it), driveshaft, suspension, smaller pulley etc. etc. for later.

Not trying to dissuade you from what you want to do but when I planned out my upgrades I did everything that would need a tune in one shot (saved downtime/money).

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
How is this possible? Are you saying there is enough room under the inlet to lift the fuel rail off the injectors?

You simply start with the rearmost injector - driver side. You c0ck (blocked even when used properly - wow) the injector into place which allows just enough room for installation.

I had to go back to my install to see why you couldn't simply install the rail before you lay the upper into place...

GT50008 said:
Why not install the fuel rail first? Then the SC.

My reply...

Tob said:
Excellent question. I considered that as well. Problem is, if you do, you will severely limit the available room under the inlet - thus making the rearmost blower bolt all but impossible to tighten. You need all the room you can get at the back of the blower.

From my now ancient install
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rpp-whipple-kit-content-install-09-gt500.html

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Just thought I would update this with an old post I found...Looks like I was right on the money...
The bare minimum would be:
2.9L Blower
Intake (JLT)
NG K Tr6's
Tune

That with the stock tb, stock injectors, stock pumps and the 3.25" pulley that comes on the blower should yield you about 630-650rwhp depending on the dyno you're on an your location (Air temps and elevation).

From there you can always build up to the 800+rwhp range if you choose. Chris (Sfadchi) is a perfect example of how this blower performs when you choose to step it up.

Please let us know if you guys have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Would the 60-63 lb. Injectors get the job done??? Coming over from the Term. that's what most of us used for our Blower up-grades, and we had good drive-ability, and plenty of head-room.....

Users who are viewing this thread