whipple 2.9 vs 3.4

whitesnake86

Established Member
Are there any benefits to running a 3.4 over a 2.9? I wanna make mid 700s+ to the wheels if possible on 93. I'm wondering if a 3.4 will help me or if I have the same limitations with it as I do with the 2.9. My car will be mostly a street car. Any input would be appreciated.

Also I know I need a bigger hood for a 3.4. I will not consider lowering my engine

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
lower IATs

more air flow at lower boost levels

you'll make more power on a 3.4

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Definitely a better blower but not really worth the difference to me. If your going 3.4 just get the 4.0 and be done with it. Since your changing out the Hood I would do 4.0. Easy 700 + on low boost and you'll never out grow it.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
For a car looking to make around mid 700's, it becomes a personal preference thing on how much work you want to do. Either blower can make that power relatively easily, but the 2.9L requires much less to complete the installation. The 2.9L fits under the stock hood with no modifications, where the 3.4L and 4.0L will require an engine lowering kit which includes lowered motor mounts with K member and transmission cross member spacers.

If you plan on changing the hood or already have changed it, then I would opt for the 3.4L or 4.0L. With the larger blowers, you'll be able to grow into them if you plan on making more power later down the road with a built engine. But like someone else suggested, if you're going to go this route, might just be better to go ahead with the 4.0L.

Hope that helps clear some things up, let us know if we can help you any further.

Thanks.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
2.9 is easy-peasy. It fits. Bigger blowers, not so much - but they make mo powa!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The 2.9L will reach your goal with ease. Yes the 3.4L and 4.0L have more capability, but there are drawbacks with fitment. So you just have to look at what your ultimate goal is, and what you're willing to do to reach it. I'll be upgrading mine soon because my goal is about a 1000rwh. But for now, the 2.9L is providing me plenty of power considering the limits of the shortblock.

- Aj -

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you, looking at both options. Only diff is I already have a SS hood.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you, looking at both options. Only diff is I already have a SS hood.

If your goals are north of 800hp, you're blower shopping, and you have a hood to clear the big ones already, it's kind of a no-brainer to me. Find the best deal on a 3.4L, 3.6LC, or 4.0L and pick it up.

whitesnake86

Established Member
Thanks for all the good responses... kinda making me want a 3.4 or 4.0 now :):):)... I'm gonna have to price those out online. I mean if a 4.0 could be efficient enough on my 07 at low boost I guess why not.

- Aj -

Established Member
Thanks for all the good responses... kinda making me want a 3.4 or 4.0 now :):):)... I'm gonna have to price those out online. I mean if a 4.0 could be efficient enough on my 07 at low boost I guess why not.

Wouldn't the 4.0 hurt low end torque on the street? I'm thinking a good all around package (my goal) would be with the 3.4, but I would like to hear opinions from people that have used these setups.

If your goals are north of 800hp, you're blower shopping, and you have a hood to clear the big ones already, it's kind of a no-brainer to me. Find the best deal on a 3.4L, 3.6LC, or 4.0L and pick it up.

Kind of what I was thinking.

Last edited:

whitesnake86

Established Member
Yea I was kinda worried about the low end power too but I don't know of any similar cars running a 4.0 at low boost on a stock motor. Maybe a 3.4 will be enough for me. Although the lower IAT temps are a plus. Its another 500 $ on top of the 3.4 for the 4.0

- Aj -

Established Member
We need some more info from people with experience with these setups...

Anyone?

cobraboss

Established Member
I went the 3.4 way. The reason why was, I rather over do it than under do it and not be satisfied. Now with that said the bottom line was a bit more. It's all in what you want and be satisfied. Unless you build the botton end, there's gonna be a point that is as far as you gonna go safely.Cool factor:

PRICELESS

- Aj -

Established Member
cobraboss: do you have dyno sheets/fuel used/etc., more info on your setup?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
My 4.0, on E85, makes 500 ft/lbs at 2200 rpm

Has made 960 on 24 psi and now sits at 775 on 21#

Fit under stock hood as well.

Users who are viewing this thread