Whipple 2.9 w/ new tensioner ate belt

fishpick

Established Member
First time out with the new/upgraded tensioner...
b4b3cbe381857446032d603247f846fe.jpg

Of course, had wife in the car cause it was a nice day... 10 miles. 40mph roll, 3/4 throttle punch... Boom.
Anyone have this issue (not breaking your car with your wife in it but the belt issue)?

54db6245981b0b7bdf901dc9a7221946.jpg

b9b8eebb453f864f57cdd38484d5eeb1.jpg

Was tensioned about 75% of travel.
I did think it looked like that belt was not tracking perfectly and the replacement one does... Maybe it was a bad belt to start with... But it was a Gates RPM racing one...

mystickb1996

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you install the new stands that go behind the bracket? Also the 2 bushings that ride on the inside of the tensioner idler pulley did you reuse one or did they give you 2 new ones that I see in the picture? I have done this install on my boss with a 2.9 whipple. The bushings they sent me were to small and the idler had a ton of play. I reused one bushing from the original tensioner.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you install the new stands that go behind the bracket? Also the 2 bushings that ride on the inside of the tensioner idler pulley did you reuse one or did they give you 2 new ones that I see in the picture? I have done this install on my boss with a 2.9 whipple. The bushings they sent me were to small and the idler had a ton of play. I reused one bushing from the original tensioner.

fishpick

Established Member
Yes - installed new stands following included instructions.
Used the bushings they sent - they seems fine when I torqued down the bolt holding the pulley in - no play - smooth spin.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear about your belt issue. So you installed a new belt. How many miles on the new one? Keep us posted on how the new belt does since it sounds like the one that shredded might have been defective since it wasn't tracking properly.

fishpick

Established Member
This is an upclose of where the belt snapped... zoom in a little - look at the row of number 2's... that looks like a defect in the belt itself, no? Or is that just "perfect damage" from when things let go?
IMG_4352.JPG

Also - is this normal or not?

fishpick

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your belt issue. So you installed a new belt. How many miles on the new one? Keep us posted on how the new belt does since it sounds like the one that shredded might have been defective since it wasn't tracking properly.
The "new" belt has maybe 8 miles on it since I put it on after the other broke... rain rain rain here now... but it had a hundred-ish before it got put back on.

Summary - kit had belt slip. Sean @ PBD said "not uncommon" try a shorter belt... so I order one and that helped but didn't fix it... talked to Whipple - they sent the new billet tensioner kit... installed all that jazz to spec per their instructions and had bought a second new belt - a Gates PRM "racing" belt... put that on - it broke in 10 miles... so - I then fixed it with the same length "shorter" belt I originally got to fix the slippage.

We are talking 7/8" short over the length of the belt - that translates (with the stage 3 pulley) to about a 1/2 difference in the adjustable idler... kinda insignificant...

I'm HOPING it will not rain around lunch time today and I can take the car out and exercise this belt a little bit more... Also gonna email that pic of the break to Gates and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread