Whipple 2.9s, are they making any noise at the track???

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Maybe I've missed the threads and videos, but I haven't seen or heard about anyone doing anything impressive with the 2.9s. They were all the talk and everyone was super excited when it hit the street, but I just read threads about mishaps and malfuctions. If there are some timeslips to support the hype please guide me to the vids etc. Seems like the 2.3s have did better than the 2.9s unless the 2.9 owners are keeping their track times a secret:shrug: What say you....

mach1033

Established Member
Blwn04svtcobra ran his car last year at his track rental but had issues hooking. He was trapping in the 130's. I ran an 02 SS last year that is a 10 second player on the spray and I took him by a half car length. I can only guess the other guys haven't really raced there cars.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
My opinion is that the 2.9 is not hype and I also believe that most members on here installed these blowers on full weight street cars. My car is a full weight vert and was fast enough for me before my motor went.

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I don't think there are alot of 2.9's out there compared to 2.3's. I think most 2.9 guys are still in the "build" stage.

truculentSVT

Established Member
I have a 2.9 Whipple/Long tubes w/a 50 shot. Car is full weight with IRS/speed. Car makes 632rwhp on 16 lbs, 680rwhp on 19.5 lbs w/ VP 110, and 722rwhp with the 50 shot. All numbers were on a Mustang Dyno. Last fall my fastest e.t. was 10.52, but my fastest mph pass was [email protected] mph. I was on 26x11.5 M/T ET Streets Bias ply tires. Track wasn't hooking at all my 60' foots were only 1.80's. Just to give you an idea.

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Just ordered my 2.9 today, can't wait! This will be on a full weight street car too but with little weight reduction I suppose.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Kool, maybe this summer more 2.9s will have a chance to get out and about. I'm looking forward to see the advantages it shows over the 2.3s.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I ran 11.03 and 11.06 back to back on 1.73 and 1.71 60's skating all over the damn place the very first time out..but she trapped 137mph as a full weight vert...3970lbs with me in it to be exact,that was at 20psi on the stock inlet with 3.2" pulley mind you. I now upgraded to the crusher inlet and am in the build stage of my return style fuel system so i can turn up the boost to 24psi...I had a issue with my bypass valve being stuck open so i decided to redo some other things while the blower was off and i repaired the issue. I am taking it to the track may 18th so ill have some new numbers then hopefully i come back with a handful of low 10's in the 140+mph range....pretty cool for a turn key Street car i can drive anywhere.

Last edited:

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Guys question for the 2.9 owners. I want 20lbs of boost, ill be running 91 octane on a stock motor.

I know these 2.9's come with a 3.5 but im hearing i wont see 20lbs on a stock motor 03 cobra ?

Is the 3.2 the pulley I should be running ?

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I ran 11.03 and 11.06 back to back on 1.73 and 1.71 60's skating all over the damn place the very first time out..but she trapped 137mph as a full weight vert...3970lbs with me in it to be exact,that was at 20psi on the stock inlet with 3.2" pulley mind you. I now upgraded to the crusher inlet and am in the build stage of my return style fuel system so i can turn up the boost to 24psi...I had a issue with my bypass valve being stuck open so i decided to redo some other things while the blower was off and i repaired the issue. I am taking it to the track may 18th so ill have some new numbers then hopefully i come back with a handful of low 10's in the 140+mph range....pretty cool for a turn key Street car i can drive anywhere.

How much whp you were making when u trapped 137 ?? That's my goal ! Now I'm at 133ish

mach1033

Established Member
Guys question for the 2.9 owners. I want 20lbs of boost, ill be running 91 octane on a stock motor.

I know these 2.9's come with a 3.5 but im hearing i wont see 20lbs on a stock motor 03 cobra ?

Is the 3.2 the pulley I should be running ?

You should not run pump 91 at 20lbs of boost. Trust me on that one.

Ceanes

Established Member
Well if im on 93, will the blower work fine with the factory 3.5 pulley, boost wise? Stock manifolds, catted h pipe.

Thanks
Chuck

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
You should not run pump 91 at 20lbs of boost. Trust me on that one.

Yeah thats alotta boost for 91. Thats edgy for 93.

We'll see how it runs on the original 3.5 pulley it comes with. I'm going with Lethals budget return system so I may go E85 in the near future but for now, 91 as its readily available. Closest E85 station for me is about 18 miles. I mean, it's a weekend car but still, don't want to drive way out for fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread