Whipple Cobra Vs C7Z

Jmurrz

Established Member
Today I had the opportunity to race a beautiful red C7 Z06. He said it was stock. Not sure if it was an automatic or stick but it sounded like an auto. My car is a 2.3 Whipple Cobra making about 580rwhp.

I usually don't go out of my way to mess around on the street but the new Z06 is something that I really wanted to try my luck with; and as luck would have it, I see a gorgeous Z06 ahead.

I pulled up next to him and gave a quick rev to show him I was interested, but he seemed a little timid at first. He took off without warning and I followed suit to about 80ish mph. Being that I stayed with him, he must have been surprised because he slowed down to talk. As we are yelling back and fourth I asked him if he wanted to run. Because I am posting this thread you already know what his answer was!

He was an older guy and he didnt really understand the idea of honking and leaving on three, so I let him take the hit. The road was unnaturally baren of cars and very smooth and straight. He jumped out about half a car or so and we were off. We ripped from 40-130ish in a flash and I only lost about an 1/2 a car length through that time. I flat foot shifted 2-3 and the 3-4 and was very happy how fast I was rowing through the gears (thank you N2MB).

We pulled up next to eachother after and were both smiling ear to ear. Giving eachother thumbs up, I pulled off onto some mexican highway exit and headed towards my home in NJ.

Overall, we both had a great time! All I can say is that the new Z06 is awesome. It is super fast, sounds unbelievable, and looks menacing. I was also very happy with how the Cobra handled itself!

[email protected]

Established Member
Good run indeed. The new C06 is supercharged right? About 650hp. Its a nice car. However not all vettes are C06s. But they all seem to think they can outrun any cobra. Shame on them. LOL. For what it cost it should outrun everything.

OG

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
Good run indeed. The new C06 is supercharged right? About 650hp. Its a nice car. However not all vettes are C06s. But they all seem to think they can outrun any cobra. Shame on them. LOL. For what it cost it should outrun everything.

OG

:lol1:

Jmurrz

Established Member
Good kill!! Ever ran your car at the track?

oldbones,

He actually lost by half car.

OP, respectable showing and death!

Yes, I actually did not win but I was pleased with the Cobra's performance. I have run it at the track once with a best of 11.9 @ 121. I was granny shifting though. I am hoping to go back soon with my WOT shifting and a real launch.

My thoughts exactly, LOL

stangfreak

Established Member
Buddy of mine bought a new z. Car is ridiculous. Good race man. Curious how much boost you running on that 2.3

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Good death

I got to race a new ZO6 last weekend to, and it was amazing. Those cars are just sweet, I'd like to drive one, they look tough

Voltwings

Established Member
Good death

I got to race a new ZO6 last weekend to, and it was amazing. Those cars are just sweet, I'd like to drive one, they look tough

My dad has one, and ive taken it out a few times. I've been in high horsepower cars that were never meant to have that much power, mustangs, turbo 4 cylinders, etc... all around 500-550 whp give or take. Cars like the ones i just mentioned are savage, they fight for traction, they're a handful, and they make you work for it lol.

Flooring that car is just mind bending ... second gear, 4k rpms, stomp the gas and the thing just goes. Its so smooth that you don't feel like you're really going fast, but slam 3rd and realize that you're about to end up in another zip code, but again, so smooth, not all over the road, firmly planted... it really is an other worldly experience, like the car really isn't accelerating, but the other end of the road is just pulling you towards it.

Jmurrz

Established Member
ok cool. I know twinscrews on pump gas love 19lbs for our cars

Yeah, I cant wait to swap my pulley and put some torco in the tank and run 20psi!

Good death

I saw your thread, awesome kill! They defiantly look mean.

My dad has one, and ive taken it out a few times. I've been in high horsepower cars that were never meant to have that much power, mustangs, turbo 4 cylinders, etc... all around 500-550 whp give or take. Cars like the ones i just mentioned are savage, they fight for traction, they're a handful, and they make you work for it lol.

Flooring that car is just mind bending ... second gear, 4k rpms, stomp the gas and the thing just goes. Its so smooth that you don't feel like you're really going fast, but slam 3rd and realize that you're about to end up in another zip code, but again, so smooth, not all over the road, firmly planted... it really is an other worldly experience, like the car really isn't accelerating, but the other end of the road is just pulling you towards it.

Yeah I can only imagine what it must be like. The only thing that I can compare it to is my friend's GTR, they just pull with little effort. It almost pulls so effortlessly that you feel as if the car is not fast.

MG0h3

Established Member

OG

Do you work for Tmobile at a call center....I swear I talked to you the other night over a billing issue.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good death op! Benchracing here a bit but if you ask me, your trap speed seems a tad low for the power you’re making. That’s usually in the ported eaton territory, even with granny shifting.

Nonetheless, good run!

Jmurrz

Established Member
Good death op! Benchracing here a bit but if you ask me, your trap speed seems a tad low for the power you’re making. That’s usually in the ported eaton territory, even with granny shifting.

Nonetheless, good run!

Agreed, I was a tad worried about it but I realized that I hot lapped it twice before turning that time. Just rolled straight through the traps back to the starting line with less than 2 min cool down. And when I say granny shifting, I was really worried about shifting from 3rd to 2nd because my shifter is not quite right so I shifted like I would driving on the street. It will be coming out for a MGW shortly and I want to go back on my race tune. I blew up my diff the other day so it wont be seeing the track for at least a month, but I am hoping for some much higher traps. I am running right with that Z06 and my buddies 2012 GTR so I feel that with some better driving I will have traps and ET's right where I should be.

Users who are viewing this thread