Whipple Gen 3 adds nearly 100 HP to the Terminator!

stangfreak

Established Member
My car has always been soft. My 2.9 standard inlet setup on 22lbs with vp100 made 710rwhp 650rwtq.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My car has always been soft. My 2.9 standard inlet setup on 22lbs with vp100 made 710rwhp 650rwtq.

Ok. Well, I think you would have made more than 710/650 on E85 versus the vp100. So all in all....not seeing a huge difference with this gen3. At least nothing eye popping, yet. But there's more to come. Maybe it shines more spinning harder....plus, we need IAT2 data as well to see how cool it's running for real world power repeatability.

MG0h3

Established Member
oh ok...I just watched it here on svt

well, thats not bad I suppose....but is it that much better than a gen 2 with a standard inlet? I'm not sure how much the inlets are worth.

Only reason it is appealing to me is that it appears to move more air at given RPM levels which I need up here at @4k' elevation. I'm on a 2.9 upper stock lower so about 16500rpm at 6500 and I see 18 on the hit and it'll creep up past 19. I may be seeing closer to 20 as an autometer boost gauge showed about 1 psi more than my stock gauge.

Who knows what the car in the video would make on that pulley setup, but I'm pretty sure most gen 2 2.9s at that RPM are in the 19-20psi range.

stangfreak

Established Member
yea I dont remember what my iat2 temps were. I need to data log my car and report back. we need more time with the gen 3. I already had 4 or 5 twinscrews on this car lol. I will sit back and watch this time.

The crazy thing is, when I upped the boost, we saw 26lbs and switched over to ms109, the car made absolutely no more power. we were expecting maybe 750rwhp. Nothing happened.

Mustang289

Established Member
Maybe I’m missing something. 100HP gain no tune, the gen3 must be throwing down more air, so that messes with A/F ratio - isn’t that dangerous to do without tune?

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Maybe I’m missing something. 100HP gain no tune, the gen3 must be throwing down more air, so that messes with A/F ratio - isn’t that dangerous to do without tune?

They said it was tuned, not sure where you get not tuned from. They said no tuning changes "for power" were made, so same boost, a/f, and timing.

danterakin

Established Member
There is so much talk about my car, so let me try to clear things up.
The 724/647 dyno was my car with 2.9 Gen 2 standard inlet pullied at 21psi. I dont know actual boost level but at all times I only ran a 3inch upper with each change I did.
I took my car to Whipple for the Gen 3 because I thought I was having a boost issue and I wanted to be the first Gen 3 crusher setup. When I took my car to Whipple, it did have the Gen 2 with Crusher, but since I thought I was having boost issues and knew I was getting Gen 3, I stopped with datalogging with Lund.
To ensure I had no holdbacks, I went from ID1000s to ID1300s and added ARP2000 headstuds. The car then went to Whipple for the transplant. They did not do a base line because the Gen 2 Crusher setup wasnt fully dialed in and they immediately went to work on my car.
Whipple worked with Lund and perform the dyno session and matched tuning as previous setup which was a targeted 11.0 afr and 21° of timing.
The Gen 3 was pullied for 21psi (3inch upper only) but the dyno graph showed it touch 26.0psi right at 6600rpm (24ish psi throughout rpm range).
Now about Whipples post, I truely believe they had no intention to state that the Gen 3 solely gained 100rwhp. The person that posted the results was probably not aware that the dyno graph was back in April with standard inlet. What he saw was my car coming into Whipple with a Gen 2 Crusher so good chances he did not know my series of build. Only one guy at Whipple knew my setup and he wasnt aware of the Whipple post.
At the end of the day, it was not a direct comparison. Dont bash Whipple for the post, honest mistake anyone couldve done. But ultimately, my numbers are damm impressive and regardless, the gen 3 is putting in work.
Of course some of the 100hp was in the crusher swap, but you have to admit that the Gen 3 has influence on that gain.
So in short, summary:
Both pullied for 21psi
AFR 11.0 and 21° timing for both dynos
E85 is consistently measured 90% year around
2.9 Gen 2 Std Inlet = 724@6300rpm/647
2.9 Gen 3 Crusher = 810@6300rpm/736
Car did make 836@6600rpm.
Hopefully this clears things up and I believe Whipple may correct post, but at end of the day, Im happy and will be shooting for 9s soon!

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I may have missed it but do you have a boost comparison between the gen 2 crusher vs gen 3 crusher?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

danterakin

Established Member
Thats the sucky thing is that we never captured boost, I was only referencing my gauge cluster overlay. When I had standard inlet, my cluster said 20psi...when i put crusher on gen 2 it still read 20psi hence why I thought I was having boost issues...With Gen 3, whipple measured up to 26psi on the dyno...when I picked up the car, I did a pull, my cluster said 21psi...i installed aerofroce 3.5map sensor and i read 24ish psi.
Wish I asked them to hook up boost gauge during my standard inlet pull to get better reference.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The car then went to Whipple for the transplant. They did not do a base line because the Gen 2 Crusher setup wasnt fully dialed in and they immediately went to work on my car.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wish they dialed in the gen 2 and base lined it. Would have been a great comparison.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Good deal, and thanks for clearing things up

2.9 Gen 2 Std Inlet = 724@6300rpm/649,

for me, I would still run out of road way before power

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Has anyone heard if Whipple has plans for a Gen 3 version of the 2.3?
Thanks
I can't answer for the 2.3, but I purchased one of the first "gen3" 3.4 crushers with the newer designed rotor pack. Still retains the older case style, whereas the 2.9 receives an angle grooved case.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

UnrealSVT

Established Member
There is so much talk about my car, so let me try to clear things up.
The 724/647 dyno was my car with 2.9 Gen 2 standard inlet pullied at 21psi. I dont know actual boost level but at all times I only ran a 3inch upper with each change I did.
I took my car to Whipple for the Gen 3 because I thought I was having a boost issue and I wanted to be the first Gen 3 crusher setup. When I took my car to Whipple, it did have the Gen 2 with Crusher, but since I thought I was having boost issues and knew I was getting Gen 3, I stopped with datalogging with Lund.
To ensure I had no holdbacks, I went from ID1000s to ID1300s and added ARP2000 headstuds. The car then went to Whipple for the transplant. They did not do a base line because the Gen 2 Crusher setup wasnt fully dialed in and they immediately went to work on my car.
Whipple worked with Lund and perform the dyno session and matched tuning as previous setup which was a targeted 11.0 afr and 21° of timing.
The Gen 3 was pullied for 21psi (3inch upper only) but the dyno graph showed it touch 26.0psi right at 6600rpm (24ish psi throughout rpm range).
Now about Whipples post, I truely believe they had no intention to state that the Gen 3 solely gained 100rwhp. The person that posted the results was probably not aware that the dyno graph was back in April with standard inlet. What he saw was my car coming into Whipple with a Gen 2 Crusher so good chances he did not know my series of build. Only one guy at Whipple knew my setup and he wasnt aware of the Whipple post.
At the end of the day, it was not a direct comparison. Dont bash Whipple for the post, honest mistake anyone couldve done. But ultimately, my numbers are damm impressive and regardless, the gen 3 is putting in work.
Of course some of the 100hp was in the crusher swap, but you have to admit that the Gen 3 has influence on that gain.
So in short, summary:
Both pullied for 21psi
AFR 11.0 and 21° timing for both dynos
E85 is consistently measured 90% year around
2.9 Gen 2 Std Inlet = 724@6300rpm/647
2.9 Gen 3 Crusher = 810@6300rpm/736
Car did make 836@6600rpm.
Hopefully this clears things up and I believe Whipple may correct post, but at end of the day, Im happy and will be shooting for 9s soon!
This build is truly awesome. I had the pleasure of watching it closely and receiving fly by fly updates from Dante that day it was tuned. I legit remember sitting on my couch getting the update of his 836 wheel and nearly jumped. Very exciting day for sure! As he said, it's damn impressive either way. Most often we are talking of seriously costly blower swaps that don't yield near as much power. Power vs. cost/ vs. Displacement size of blower...this is awesome and comparable to 3.4+ numbers.

I'm still very impressed by this build! It's nice to see whipple coming through to back up their claims and our excitement. And can't forget the man, Lund for the tuning!

Time to chase down them 9s, Dante!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread