Whipple Hellcats

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Curt,
To my understanding ford trinity has powder forged rods (the weak link) and dodge uses the same style, if what i'm saying is true how does dodge not have the same issue? i haven't researched the hellcat but it appears to hold up at higher HP levels vs Trinity when done right.
Great question sir!
Both are great and powerhouse engines.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Curt,
To my understanding ford trinity has powder forged rods (the weak link) and dodge uses the same style, if what i'm saying is true how does dodge not have the same issue? i haven't researched the hellcat but it appears to hold up at higher HP levels vs Trinity when done right.

I believe that the difference lies in that the rods "thin out" where they connect to the piston in the 500. The piston in the 500 has thicker bulkheads to withstand higher cylinder pressures, but in doing this, I believe the small end of the rod was weakened. Couple this with higher rpm / longer stroke and the hellcat motor ends up on the winning end.

Last edited:

beau t

Established Member
I believe that the difference lies in that the rods "thin out" where they connect to the piston in the 500. The piston in the 500 has thicker bulkheads to withstand higher cylinder pressures, but in doing this, I believe the small end of the rod was weakened. Couple this with the longer stroke and the hellcat motor ends up on the winning end.

thats makes sense, thanks for the explanation, i noticed on some of the pics posted of trinity rods it appeared to have a taper on the small end and thought thats different but thought process ended there.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe that the difference lies in that the rods "thin out" where they connect to the piston in the 500. The piston in the 500 has thicker bulkheads to withstand higher cylinder pressures, but in doing this, I believe the small end of the rod was weakened. Couple this with higher rpm / longer stroke and the hellcat motor ends up on the winning end.

That's only on the 13-14 gt500's. The Trinity is the weaker of the two GT500 motors. The condor's rod does not thin out at the top of the piston side like the Trinity does.

Doesn't matter though.. both motors are boat anchors compared to the Coyote. Arguing otherwise only proves you haven't owned one of them.

Now that the gen 2 Coyote is out, it is literally better in every way than the gt500 mill.

Find me a TVS (any TVS) gt500 that has broke 1000 wheel? I'll wait. There are Coyotes that have done it with .4 or .8 liters less displacement.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...6949-boost-only-tvs-mustang-hits-1000whp.html

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, the 2nd gen Coyote engines are stout and guys are running stupid HP on them. Torque, not so much, but high horsepower for sure.
Even the first gen Coyotes are really fast when F/I is introduced.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That's only on the 13-14 gt500's. The Trinity is the weaker of the two GT500 motors. The condor's rod does not thin out at the top of the piston side like the Trinity does.

Doesn't matter though.. both motors are boat anchors compared to the Coyote. Arguing otherwise only proves you haven't owned one of them.

Now that the gen 2 Coyote is out, it is literally better in every way than the gt500 mill.

Find me a TVS (any TVS) gt500 that has broke 1000 wheel? I'll wait. There are Coyotes that have done it with .4 or .8 liters less displacement.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...6949-boost-only-tvs-mustang-hits-1000whp.html

Definitely dont agree with you. In any of your points. We already know the coyote is capable of producing more power with less boost due to the compression.

But we are talking about durability/strength.

I believe the GT500 motors to be more reliable / durable in this capacity.

And lastly, Trinity is not the weaker motor bud. While the rods might be considered weaker by some, it is also stronger in other areas. I'd call it a wash.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely dont agree with you. In any of your points. We already know the coyote is capable of producing more power with less boost due to the compression.

Not quite. The max effort TVS trinity's on this site are built motors with added compression and cams and still haven't cracked 1000. (biminiLX is damn close)

I provided proof of a non-max effort coyote cracking 1000... you?

But we are talking about durability/strength.

I believe the GT500 motors to be more reliable / durable in this capacity.

And lastly, Trinity is not the weaker motor bud. While the rods might be considered weaker by some, it is also stronger in other areas. I'd call it a wash.

Rods might be considered weaker by some? LOL! GTFO with that pure opinion based on absolute non-fact.

Go ahead and share with us which areas the Trinity is stronger than the Condor.

Rod? No, Condor stronger
Pistons? No, both forged, wash
Block? No, Condor is cast iron. Trinity is non-liner'd aluminum. Condor stronger
Crank? No.. both forged, wash

As much as I like you, you don't know what youre talking about here.

At all.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
If you’ve never driven on snow tires, then you’re missing out.

Snow tires in snow vs all-seasons in snow is like a Drag Radial compared to a regular summer tire.

If I was rich I’d have a dedicated Winter Shelby on snow tires. A sedan like a HC Charger or CTs-V would drive even better.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I run my scat pack on dedicated winters and as long as you go out after the roads are plowing you’re fine.
If I have to go out in the snow before the plows I drive my wife’s Volvo.
That's the thing. I start work at 6:30am, so sometimes the roads aren't that great of shape. Also, the parking lot can/cannot be plowed when I get there or when we leave for the day. The height of the truck helps as well.
I really wish I could have two cars instead of a truck and car, but the 4X4 is awesome in snow. I need to get some killer tires for the truck next year. These stock Goodyucks just suck terribly. I'm thinking the B.F. Goodrich KO2's on the stock wheels. Should look pretty beastly. I'll probably get the Ground Force 2" rear drop springs after winter as well, just to give the truck a nice leveled off look. I hate the rake stance, especially on a rcsb truck.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
That's the thing. I start work at 6:30am, so sometimes the roads aren't that great of shape. Also, the parking lot can/cannot be plowed when I get there or when we leave for the day. The height of the truck helps as well.
I really wish I could have two cars instead of a truck and car, but the 4X4 is awesome in snow. I need to get some killer tires for the truck next year. These stock Goodyucks just suck terribly. I'm thinking the B.F. Goodrich KO2's on the stock wheels. Should look pretty beastly. I'll probably get the Ground Force 2" rear drop springs after winter as well, just to give the truck a nice leveled off look. I hate the rake stance, especially on a rcsb truck.
I don’t have to be at work until 8 am and I live one mile from it.

If it’s a bad storm we don’t work anyway and if it’s a normal one my wife can work from home and I get her car. This is why I can swing a hellcat as a daily up here.

I will get the Challenger again as I have no need for back seats but I do like the charger too.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The only car, which is decidedly stouter than the Trinity (IMO), is the damn Hellcat and soon to be Demons. Dodge is just not kidding about, nowadays.

now that the other manufacturers are supercharging their things, ford is at a disadvantage because they bet the farm on, and are now pretty much locked into, the 100cm-on-center bore of the mod motors, so therefore displacement is limited.

it's like once again, there's "no replacement for displacement"

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t have to be at work until 8 am and I live one mile from it.
If it’s a bad storm we don’t work anyway and if it’s a normal one my wife can work from home and I get her car. This is why I can swing a hellcat as a daily up here.
I will get the Challenger again as I have no need for back seats but I do like the charger too.
That's golden.
I'm not too far from work, about 7.2 miles one way. If I could work from home, I'd get a Hellcat Charger for my daily, even though I have no need/use for back seats as well.

Users who are viewing this thread