Whipple/Hellion Compound Setup

blacknlte

Established Member
Can it be done?? Yes. Will it work like what you think it will like on the GT500... probably not. All of the supercharger companies superchargers seal off to well and dont really allow blow by like the factory ones do on the 500s and thats how they mostly get away with the compound setup.

SpartanDiesel

Established Member
Can it be done?? Yes. Will it work like what you think it will like on the GT500... probably not. All of the supercharger companies superchargers seal off to well and dont really allow blow by like the factory ones do on the 500s and that's how they mostly get away with the compound setup.

Perhaps not. But since it apparently hasn't been done yet I feel inclined to try it for shits and giggles if nothing else- at worst we rip it off and try something else.

On edit- while it certainly shouldn't have any blow-by persay, if the air coming into the supercharger is twice (give or take) as dense as it was at standard atmosphere, the pressure underneath the supercharger has no choice but to follow the same ratio even if the total airflow is past what the supercharger will flow by displacement. The actual mass of air flowing into the engine will rise, even at the same volume because of the increase in pressure.

For instance, lets assume the blower alone is producing 14PSI and the turbocharger 28PSI. Even if the total airflow at the given RPM and VE is beyond what the supercharger itself can support, it still has no choice but to maintain, at minimum, a matched flow and manifold pressure to the turbocharger.

Let's say the 28PSI is coming into the supercharger. The twin screw is already at it's maximum supported volume for its given RPM (making this assumption for comparison's sake- worst case scenario for efficiency). That air will be yet again compressed inside the rotors, and if the supercharger itself is the restriction, will actually decompress as its coming out (say, it was pressurized to 40PSI inside the rotors). It would not be able to drop back under the 28PSI that was coming in originally, unless the engine was drawing TWICE what the supercharger could support in the first place- which would be quite significant, considering 14PSI of base pressure is already double atmosphere at 1,000FT ASL.

Granted, those numbers are all assumptions and are totally arbitrary compared to a real-world application, but the same theories will hold true. Ideal gas law guarantees that the flow difference through the supercharger will be proportional to the increase in pressure ratio, so long as the turbo will provide equal or greater total flow in comparison to the supercharger at the increased pressure.

Even without blow-by, and even with a somewhat significant loss of efficiency over just a turbocharger alone, the power will be well beyond what the 2.9L will support by itself. Parasitics and heat gain will be worse overall, than on a roots blower that will allow some air leakage.

My only hesitation will be with the additional stresses added to the supercharger by having to re-compress the boost air coming from the turbocharger. If the supercharger is sealed well, pressure may get mighty high inside the lobes. A call to Whipple might be in order concerning that.

And the plumbing will probably end up looking like it was done by Mario and Luigi, drunk, by the time a second intercooler is installed and we try to get a 4" downpipe to the back of the car.

Last edited:

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Guess you never been to Texas :)

Damn somebody beat me to it. lol First time I went to Houston I was dumbfounded by the about of power there was in a parking lot. Of course my buddy knew a inside guy that would go on the late night fun runs so I was probably spoiled my first time there because I was exposed to some of the baddest vehicles in the Houston area.

Users who are viewing this thread