Whipple/Hellion Compound Setup

SpartanDiesel

Established Member
Curious to see if there are any 5.0 cars out there who have (or more likely, have planned on/looked into) doing a compound boost setup, or know anyone who has?

Car currently has a Whipple/FRPP kit, 2.9L upgrade from Lethal. 47Lb injectors, with 75Lb sitting in the box waiting on someone to release a good fuel system.

It runs great, but have a deposit on its way to Michael at L&M for a built longblock, and am certainly looking for more. Doesn't seem to be than anything larger than the 2.9L is available for now (not interested in KB or centrifugal)- and with our goal being 1000 to the tire for this car, a compound setup seems to be the only solution for the kind of air needed.

The guys at Hellion seemed to think that the compound setup should work out well- as I LOVE the torque of the PD blower and aren't willing to part with it to go with a turbo exclusively.

Just hoping to find some insight from someone with some experience with this, with a 5.0 or 5.4L.

kingnut

Established Member
somehow i knew this question would originate from NC. NC has the most "i dont have enough HP" people ive ever seen. FL is a close second. GL with answer. Fayetteville chiming in.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I believe that you can't run a T/S with a compound boost setup.. Hense my the 04 cobra guys don't or can't run a T/S with TT's.. You're best best is going to be TT's with no blower.

SpartanDiesel

Established Member
I believe that you can't run a T/S with a compound boost setup.. Hense my the 04 cobra guys don't or can't run a T/S with TT's.. You're best best is going to be TT's with no blower.

Man I spoke to at Hellion seemed to think it was entirely plausible. They have a setup to compound on the GT500's, and to the best of my knowledge the stock chargers on those cars are twin screws.

kevinp

Established Member
somehow i knew this question would originate from NC. NC has the most "i dont have enough HP" people ive ever seen. FL is a close second. GL with answer. Fayetteville chiming in.

Guess you never been to Texas :)

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Man I spoke to at Hellion seemed to think it was entirely plausible. They have a setup to compound on the GT500's, and to the best of my knowledge the stock chargers on those cars are twin screws.
GT500s have eaton roots M122, no twin screw. you can compound with a TS but everything i've heard says that it just works better with a roots s'charger. i believe it's the different ways that air is compressed, a TS compressing the air between the rotors and a roots blowing air into the intake manifold, causing it to be pressurized in there.
it can be done with a TS however, as ford GTs have a TS stock and there are a handful of them running compound with great numbers. i believe throwing a TVS on there would work better though.
if your serious about this make sure you do a LOT of reading on compound boost(diesel forums are a great place to start). remember, it's not as simple as adding the turbo PSI and the blower PSI together, it ends up being a far higher number than that, lol. also, the supercharger will be a restriction, you'll be able to make more HP at the same PSI with just the twins.

Last edited:

SpartanDiesel

Established Member
GT500s have eaton roots M122, no twin screw. you can compound with a TS but everything i've heard says that it just works better with a roots s'charger. i believe it's the different ways that air is compressed, a TS compressing the air between the rotors and a roots blowing air into the intake manifold, causing it to be pressurized in there.
it can be done with a TS however, as ford GTs have a TS stock and there are a handful of them running compound with great numbers. i believe throwing a TVS on there would work better though.
if your serious about this make sure you do a LOT of reading on compound boost(diesel forums are a great place to start). remember, it's not as simple as adding the turbo PSI and the blower PSI together, it ends up being a far higher number than that, lol. also, the supercharger will be a restriction, you'll be able to make more HP at the same PSI with just the twins.

Thanks for the info on the TVS chargers.

Do have quite a bit of experience with compound setups on diesels, hence the appeal to me to do it on the car. I do Powerstroke tuning for a living.

JL-KA

Established Member
I would love to see it. Since you already have the blower it's the obvious choice. If you didn't have the blower I'd say you should at least look into a compound twin turbo setup. If you do this PLEASE post a build thread. There's absolutely no reason this shouldn't work. You've already talked to Hellion....give Lethal a call since they're the whipple experts and ask them what they think.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Thanks for the info on the TVS chargers.

Do have quite a bit of experience with compound setups on diesels, hence the appeal to me to do it on the car. I do Powerstroke tuning for a living.
nice! i saw the name and it had me wondering but i didn't want to jump to any conclusions. you have quite the rep in the diesel world! have you tuned any powerstrokes with the empire diesel compound supercharger setups? that's a pretty sick setup they have!

Last edited:

SpartanDiesel

Established Member
nice! i saw the name and it had me wondering but i didn't want to jump to any conclusions. you have quite the rep in the diesel world! have you tuned any powerstrokes with the empire diesel compound supercharger setups? that's a pretty sick setup they have!

Haven't done a set of Empire's turbos, but several of Elite's setup and one of Dirty Diesel's. We are waiting on a set of their billet 6.4L cylinder heads for our race truck. Seem like really nice parts.

SpartanDiesel

Established Member
Well, my general question of "is it possible" seems to have been answered with a yes.

Once the L&M engine is installed I'm fairly certain this is the route I'll go with the car. Something is just very appealing about a turbo'ed whipple car:D

Users who are viewing this thread