Whipple leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
So while looking over the engine bay I notice there's some oil on the supercharger body itself. Nothing alarming, just residue. The engine bay itself is dirty because they are cleaning the streets and by the time I go home everything is so damn dusty. And I got to wash it somewhere where I can have access to taking off the COP covers and COP's and clean out the spark plug holes.

There is also oil residue on the lower blower manifold, and around the top of the valve covers etc.

Now if I'm reading other threads properly the supercharger can leak through the hole in the snout bolt. Mine seems to be dry.

IMG_20130515_183822_zps3f6e7bc1.jpg

I cleaned up the snout, and the front of the supercharger casing and when I got to work I looked and found this. (its not a huge leak, but enough that I can touch and feel it and slightly see it..)
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Ev0lv3/media/IMG_20130515_183832_zpscba70617.jpg.html

52fbb6d3-924a-42a6-8add-8504bef60392_zpsbbd83958.jpg

Now onto the question, is this in need of a snout rebuild, or is the seal between the snout and the main body just compromised? Is it as simple as taking the snout off and resealing it with RTV sealant? I'm not sure if it would be leaking out between the two and pooling there, or if its maybe leaking out one of the bolts.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

cobracide

Established Member
Clean up the engine, then inspect after a short spirited drive. We don't know when and what you have there.

cj428mach

Established Member
could the snout be cracked? It looks like the oil starts before the bolt hole.

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
Its hard to see, but the photo that has the arrow pointing to it has the clear supercharger oil slightly pooling at the bottom there.

You can sort of see it here.

IMG_20130515_183853_zpsd2459d0e.jpg

It's hard to get a good picture of it because its hard to get in there. LOL.. oh well. I'll see if I can get the engine bay cleaned out and look from there. Anyone have any pointers for covering the COP covers if I was to take it to an actual car wash? I wouldn't use the full pressure, but still wouldn't want to get any water in there and cost me more money. :\

cobracide

Established Member
Well it looks to me that the snout has been off at least once. The anodized aluminum is worn around the bolts. Have you tried my first post suggestion? Clean it out and see if it comes back.. Check it frequently.

Last edited:

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
That little bit of oil poolage was just from a drive to work. I will clean the engine tomorrow if I can figure out an easy way to cover the cop covers so that its all nice n clean. But I'm positive it'll still leak. My guess is its the seal between the main body and snout. Wonder why they wouldn't make an actual gasket for that. Hm.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think if i'm following your pickthere is actually oil on the flange right at the bottom on the side the bolt heads are on. Do the bolts need to be pulled and sealed with some sort of sealant? I've never had my snout off so I don't know if the bolts go into blind holes or if they go into the oil reservoir.

Last edited:

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
Not to sure about the bolts, I guess I will be able to tell when I take it off.

They don't look like they thread all the way through, but they do need to be sealed all the way around, by the looks of it.
SnoutReplacement.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread