Whipple snout

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Anyone ever rebuild a snout before? I don't know wtf happened! I took the snout off then spun it by hand a few times I can feel a little rough spot in one of the bearings, But IMO not bad enough to make that bolt snap.
20140411_182455_zpsfcb9c906.jpg

20140411_182514_zps6789b7c1.jpg

Blueline

Established Member
Did the rotors lock up? That's crazy. Call Jon Bond he rebuilds blowers and maybe he can fix it. GL

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I ordered a snout rebuild kit from Jon Bond a few days ago. Stock tensioner w/two Metco idlers. When I got the snout off I turned the rotors by hand and they felt fine.
It was crazy because the car was running great no funny noises or anything out of the ordinary, then I see a pulley pass me by in the lane next to me.... No bang no pop no noise at all then my battery light came on.. Crazy

Last edited:

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
wow…keep us posted! Sucks you had to swallow that 400$ but it's funny you said you actually saw the pulley pass you! hahaha I've literally seen lug nuts pop off and shoot in front of me! It's amazing how things happen in the strangest ways with no way of telling how it happened? And luckily no damage!

Avispa

Established Member
This as the first total failure I've heard of, but bearing seal failures used to be common on these blowers. Whipple is pretty good about getting replacement snouts to you quickly. Make sure you don't throw away the plastic connector that seats on two pins on the snout drive flange and on two corresponding pins offset 90 degrees on the rotor input flange. Your new snout won't come with one of these unless you order it specifically.

stangfreak

Established Member
when I had my 2.3 whipple, the snout was leaking. s/c oil all over the base of the blower. It was brand new the blower. I called up whipple and they told me I had to buy a new snout. They didnt even work with me on the issue. I had to buy it outright.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Any one have any torques specs for the Whipple hardware?

I see Jon Bond has SS hardware and thinking about swapping out my crusty hardware for it.

I'm sure the OP would like to know the torque specs also.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Ok done, I wouldn't try this at home. You need a press with all the spacers and correct tools like a bearing separator to go with it.
There's a pretty big spring in the center section of the snout for some reason?.?. The snout shaft needs to be pressed out first-from the front-then it will come out/fall out of the rear.This is when you find the big spring. Once you get the shaft pressed out of the snout its all pretty self explanatory.
snapring_zps5a391f11.png

untitled_zpsa3c4d2ca.png

snoutshaft_zps602ecee1.png

20140421_145255_zpsa25dcc1d.jpg

All said and done it took about 45min.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread