Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 80lb injectors

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
hello everyone

im putting together my list for my 2.9 whipple build im going to be doing by the end of the year im going to be adding

JLT high boost intake
accufab single blade throttle body

also maybe stage 3 comp cams and 3:73 gears. im running a 4lb lower pulley and sct tune. now i know ill need a re tune so please dont tell me that lol but what im needing help with it the fuel system witch pumps are best do i need a bap or dual fpdms and will i need to go return fuel also 63lb or 80lb injectors.

im still debating on the cams but want to make sure the car will run both the 2.9 whipple with or with out cams just in case i decide down the road to add the cams.

any input on doing this build would be great so i only have to buy parts once haha ..but please no bashing i know when ever someone wants to add to there car theres always the guys that bash people with there 2 cents im not looking for that just need some friendly input

im also doing a pull for whipple only or whipple with cams and injectors poll is open for 2 votes per person

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
2.9 whipple
no cams
fuel system with 80lb inj
remove 4lb lower and replace with stock caged lower 3.50 upper pulley

and ya
what fuel do you plan on running
what suspension mods do you have
stock clutch?

I didnt vote, get with the "tuner in your basement" and see what they have to say

Last edited:

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
I have the 2.9 with stage 3 crower cams 4lb lower 80# injs.Also 3.73 gears and lethal 1000 hrs return style fuel system.Also now i have 2 tunes one for 93oct and 1 for 110 oct a;; i run is the 110 at a mere 10$ a gallon. Also with that 4 # lower u will need to run a 3.75 upper as the 3.55 will put u at 24# of boost.Thats a lot for a stock block.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I would not recommend doing 60 lb injectors with a 2.9. Definitely 80's or higher.

WaffleMan

Established Member
I have 80's with just the eaton, they are same price as the 60's. I think gt pumps with a bap would be fine for fuel, unless you are going to run e85. If it was me I'd use the cam money on fuel mods for e85.

I agree on putting the stock lower with the cage back on. My tuner said they won't even install lowers now because of the crank failures that have happened.

Last edited:

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
On my cobra im running SLP longtubes with a SLP x pipe. dont the long tubes and cams lower the boost everything ive read from this site about that says they will?

i have the stock clutch as of now and as for suspension my cobra is fully dome i run the MaximunMotorSports K member, a arms, coil overs, mm2 struts, H&R sport rear coils, IRS brace, and full urethane bushings through out the car. the lower im not going to put the stock cage on i was told by my tuner here that with the 4lb lower and a 3.50 upper i would see 22lb of boost being we are at 4400 alt and here we run 91 pump gas

Last edited:

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
Ya well im running a stage 3 ram clutch @ a steeda shifter stock isnt going to get it with this setup. Also u might want to look into the fuel issue 91oct isn"t really the best fuel 4 such a radical setup.Like i said all i run is 110oct but with all the $$$$$$ i have in this thing 10$ a gallon is not a issue 4 me. Just my 2 cents.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
First off. What are you horse power goals? Second, I would defiantly put the stock lower and cage back on. Why even take a chance breaking your crank shaft when you could achieve your target boost level with an upper only. Also why are wanting to run such a radical set up on 91 octane with the stock bottom end? As far as injectors go I would run the 80's, That way you will have room to grow in case you ever want to run E85 in the future. As far as the fuel system is concerned I will wait to comment until I know what your horse power goals are. Lastly as far as cams are concerned, Like said above, I would skip them and use that money for the fuel system.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
^ use the Cams Money, to upgrade your clutch and transmission, thus, why I said no cams.

I ran a 2.9 Whipple for awhile, but ya what do I know.? With only 91 octane I wouldnt even consider a 2.9 waste of money as well

As Indy Cobra requestted, please tell us your goals fo rthe car, Daily Driver, tracking etc so we can get a better idea

Last edited:

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
im in Utah and with a alt off 4400 feet they run 91 octane here. i have 3 friends here with the 2.9 Whipple and they have no issue running 91 but at the same time i didnt say i even have a issue running 100+ octane.

as far as the trans well i don't have a stock shifter or clutch Ive already done that

my power goals are 700+

svtcobratenthan pm sent

03cobrarocks

Established Member
What is up with the lower pulley hate?

I have had a 4lb and 2.8 upper on my ported eaton 3 years now and fine. I do have a completely aftwrmarket motor save the block....

Asking becuase i really havent kept up with forums past 2 years and u guys got me scared!

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
i don't know ether i haven't really got that part answered i know guys with aftermarket lowers and guys still running stock lowers with no issues on ether.

as far as fuel im only able to get 91 here but i can add some torco fuel octane increase and increase it to 100 octane. now that being said has anyone ever ran the torco ?

thought about e85 but no station in my area caries it

WaffleMan

Established Member
From what I have read with the lowers is when you take the cage off it allows the blower belt to really pull up pretty hard on the crankshaft snout. So when you run a bigger displacement blower it takes more force to spin those bigger rotors therefore pulling even harder on the crank snout. There have been some 3.4 whipple guys who have completely snapped their crank snouts off from running a lower without a cage support.

I was completely against running a lower but have decided to go ahead a run one soon seeing as it's just the little ol eaton and I'm only making 12.5psi with the smallest upper I can get. Once I get a twin screw I'll put the stock cage and lower back on. But if you have a big blower that can make the boost/power you want with just an upper then why run the risk of running a lower?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I was not impressed with 80s at all. Fueling was very inconsistent. It has noticeable affects on idle and general throttle response. I switched to ID1000s and couldn't be happier. The fueling is spot on and exactly what you command in the tune. Well worth the extra money. BTW ID1000s are 98 lb injectors so if E85 is in your future they'll more than flow enough.

If you're on 91 pump look into options like water/meth or torco.

WaffleMan

Established Member
what im trying to understand is people here say 3.5 upper and a 4lb lower is 25lb of boost but even Whipple say on there site its 17lb to 19lb or is this not for the 2.9l
Whipple Industries

Ya they don't list the 2.9 on their site for our cars. What you are seeing is for the 2.3.
2.3=w140ax
2.9=w175ax
3.4=w210ax
4.0=w245ax

I'm still trying to look for a chart but im pretty sure a 3.5" upper on a 2.9 is 19psi, while a 2.75" would be 25psi. 2psi per 1/4"

Users who are viewing this thread