WHIPPLE vs. TVS: A factual blower compare

MikesCobra

Established Member
Hey guys,
If many of you are like me, you have intentions eventually to upgrade and swap out your factory Eaton blower to a more powerful option of a Whipple or TVS.
I am sure without a doubt, that many of you have gotten the same response's, advice, info, and sometimes dizzying conflicting rumors of power levels, abilities of each blower, and biased opinion and worst of all hyped up dyno sheets, videos, and talk with impressive power levels with one or more or sometimes all technical data as boost level, octane used, timing-NOT mentioned and yet were still given the answer of this blower is the way to go, the other is garbage, or our blowers make more of this and or that at these levels. The bashing of one blower or the next based on opinion and not fact or any sort of research.

SO WHY THIS THREAD:
I set out to find this data initially weeks ago for myself only. I wanted to find factual data of comparable set ups and the resulting power produced from each comparable blower TVS/WHIPPLE. I wanted this data that way I can make as much as possible an informed choice on which blower direction to go, after all both are bad ass blowers and its not an easy choice considering them. After I started pulling up some data via YouTube I started to notice something, all the claims of one blower or the next making hundreds more torque or hp was not the case, well is was when the person making such a claim (negated to add the set up was on the ragged edge with extremely high boost and timing, and or e-85) yet still would give opinion as to one blower making more power then the next. Any half way intelligent person who can research and does not buy into just opinion can also safely arrive at the findings I have. I found that in almost every case documented with a dyno sheet, and comparable set up noted with boost level, octane, timing, blower for blower each made nearly the same power, but not even close to the "much more, hundreds more, more torque, more HP, etc" claims I've heard over the last 12 months.

VARIANCES:
Its important to note that each engine will produce different levels of HP/Torque on a small level from a comparable engine and setup. Each dyno machine will record different numbers as some are looser/tighter then others-also producing different numbers from one said setup to the next. Each and every set up is also different, boost levels, octane/race fuel/E-85, and timing, among other things also greatly affect numbers produced.

I spent a few hours compiling videos only with dyno sheets to back up the horsepower claim, no videos that mentioned internals that were modified were used. I went through each video and characterized them as you see below, one thing that stood out is, for each COMPARABLE set up in the three categories of boost, timing and fuel used, the pictured Cobra resulted in nearly the same HP and Torque with some variances ranging from 10-50 units measured on each scale. Could that be from the blower, dyno, setup, or who knows. All I know is I am glad I compiled this info because it clearly shows not one blower really "blowing" the other out of the water-No pun intended.

CHOICE:
I strongly feel (and disagree if you may, we're all entitled) that this resulting info helps ME at the very least, and hopefully future Cobra owners to avoid the hype, bias, and omitted info during power claims to make a choice amongst one of these great blowers. I think other factors now would be the determining factor in final choice (since power levels are so comparable) such as the manufacturing company of the Brand blower you're choosing, the brand company's history, years in business, tech support, innovation, blower capacity choices, location, and warranty.

I hope this helps some people as it did me, again this is not an easy choice between both blowers, but I think this helps rid the scene of some of the hype I've been hearing and will show both blower are great and very comparable. This data was all that I had availible to me, so please if you have a recent dyno sheet and video add it to a response on this thread of the "Great blower debate" with all set up info.

Godspeed,

2.3 TVS 93 Pump:
1- 20#'s @ 583/540 Link: Mustang Cobra SVT 2004 DYNO TVS 2.3 - YouTube
2- ?#'s @ 580/513 Link: 03 vmp tvs cobra on dyno - YouTube
3- ?#'s @ 609/563 Link: 2003 Cobra TVS 2.3 Dyno - YouTube
4- 17#'s @ 611/584 Link: 2003 Cobra TVS 2.3 Dyno - YouTube
5- 19#'s @ 601/588 Link : 2003 Cobra TVS 2.3 - YouTube

2.3 Whipple 93 Pump:
1-18#'s @ 573/530 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2iaJLnfnkw
2- 16#'s @ 580/545 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTre7UkhgDI
3- 17#'s @ 591/533(91 octane only) Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RbRB16yGpE
4- 17#'s @ 598/573 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RbRB16yGpE
5- 17#'s @ 609/623 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmhsZwKQxQ
6- 18#'s @ 590/527 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPoRryZGK6g
7- 18#'s @ 595/604 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuL9WCp7hqw
8- 19#'s @ 610/566 Link : 2003 Whipple Cobra @ VMP Tuning - YouTube

2.3 Whipple E-85/Race Fuel:
1- 20#'s @ 625/?torque (104 Race Fuel) Link :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjfW9r4lXUI
3- 22#'s @ 674/690 Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-aHtZBF6rs

2.9 Whipple
1-20#'s E-85 @ 697/644 Link: TPS Motorsports: 04 Cobra, 2.9 Whipple, E85(PART 2) - YouTube
2- 22#'s unknown fuel @ 813/710 Link: 2.9L Whipple with Crusher Intake - 2004 Mystichrome Cobra Mustang - YouTube
3- 18#'s (91 octane ) @ 609/508 link: TPS Motorsports: Edgar's 2.9 WHIPPLE 'd 03 Cobra - YouTube
4- ?#'s ( E-85)(crusher intake) @769/697 Link: Whipple 04 Cobra on the Dyno - YouTube

TVS E-85/Race Fuel:
1-?#'s @ 677/606
2-22#'s @ 670/703 (110Race Fuel) Link: 2004 cobra vmp tvs 2.3 @ 22 psi - YouTube

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I like your post, and I think it will be very helpful.

I wish we would have logged Boost level when I had my set-up tuned with the TVS. With the 2.6" Pulley, it made 632rwhp on extremely low timing with 93 Octane.

I will be getting retuned with Torco, more timing, and a 2.8" Upper Pulley here soon, and I plan to have video, sheets, and all other info to share - which should be a great addition to your thread.

MikesCobra

Established Member
I like your post, and I think it will be very helpful.

I wish we would have logged Boost level when I had my set-up tuned with the TVS. With the 2.6" Pulley, it made 632rwhp on extremely low timing with 93 Octane.

I will be getting retuned with Torco, more timing, and a 2.8" Upper Pulley here soon, and I plan to have video, sheets, and all other info to share - which should be a great addition to your thread.

Yeah man please do. Great numbers with the TVS, going from a 2.6 pulley to 2.8 why? Def post the sheets and set up info.

MikesCobra

Established Member
Nice compilation. What's needed is an overly of the dynos for area under the curve examination/comparison.

Great idea, that would def help visualize the numbers and where the power come in at over the curve. Each will have a variance however due to each engine being unique but super informative!

BMR Tech

Yeah man please do. Great numbers with the TVS, going from a 2.6 pulley to 2.8 why? Def post the sheets and set up info.

I would rather run a little less boost and a little more timing. I feel that the 2.6" set-up is a little too much for my liking.

I think a 2.8" setup with more timing can make similar power, safely, than overspinning and only running 14-15 degrees timing.

I also upgraded to the GT500 Monster TB and Plenum, as well as went from a stock air intake tube, to the JLT High Boost.

So, my results will be very interesting for many reasons. Oh, and I also plan on putting a dry 50 shot to it as well.:beer:

MikesCobra

Established Member
I would rather run a little less boost and a little more timing. I feel that the 2.6" set-up is a little too much for my liking.

I think a 2.8" setup with more timing can make similar power, safely, than overspinning and only running 14-15 degrees timing.

I also upgraded to the GT500 Monster TB and Plenum, as well as went from a stock air intake tube, to the JLT High Boost.

So, my results will be very interesting for many reasons. Oh, and I also plan on putting a dry 50 shot to it as well.:beer:

How many millimeters is the gt500 TB?

BMR Tech

Not sure, but, it is huge compared to the Accufab SBTB I had on the car previously. It swallows the JLT High Boost pipe, lol.

MikesCobra

Established Member
I'd be curious to compare the opening size, that's what matters most see If you can find that info and post it up.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I can fit my bottle of Crown Royal Black in it.
So the opening is at least 175ML.

Now we're talking. I have some Cask as well. I keep getting bottles as gifts. so many that I had to start giving some away. LOL If I would have known you were a crown drinker I would have offered some up last time you were in town.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
There's a few videos of my car on YouTube also... Made 657hp and 608tq with the 6speed still in the car. 20psi and 110 race fuel. My car is no longer a Dyno queen with the automatic and loose converter but it still made over 600

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't think I would use Youtube as "factual"
There are many dyno graphs on here I would look at.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Actually, i'm not to sure. It's a 9.5'' non lock-up Lentech converter. It came with the auto swap and I never asked. Whatever it is, it works awesome!

MikesCobra

Established Member
I don't think I would use Youtube as "factual"
There are many dyno graphs on here I would look at.

Well as I said, I used the videos where the camera clearly shows the car put down the dyno, then walks over to the dyno graph being displayed, didnt think a dyno sheet posted via actual footage wasnt factual, and a random graph on the internet posted with some guy typing what car or set up put it down with NO FOOTAGE is supposed to be???? lol So I guess the graphs you're referring to on here are magical non biased and "factual" graphs? Did Jack and his magic bean stock sell you these graphs??

Now all kidding aside, this thread is meant to be productive, so if I were to follow your bad advice I should disregard the videos with graphs from TVS blowers posted? Even the ones which made power then their counterpart? Please by all means if anyone has graphs with setup info them post them and be constructive. Surprising comment coming from a TVS rep.....I am also searching through the forum here to pull dyno graphs so if you could help then offer it.

Come on guys, lets keep the bias out of this thread, you wouldnt want to scare off any potential customers...:burn:

Back on point to the non biased thread for potential buyers......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread