Whipple w/ a 3.50" pulley

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Has anybody ever just bolted on a whipple with the 3.50" pulley with no other supporting mods?

If I read it correctly on the Whipple site, they claim that the whipple is a direct replacement for the Eaton with no other modifications necessary to the PCM or fuel system.

A 3.50" pulley will produce 13lbs. of boost! How can no other mods. or tuning be necessary?

Silverboost

Established Member
i would recommend that you put it on a dyno to verify the air/fuel. You should be able to get buy with no other mods other than a dyno tune.

slvrbk04

Established Member
whipple

I agree. Bolt on the Whipple and get it tuned. You will be close to pegging the MAF and if so a Mafia will be necessary. Stock fuel injectors, pumps etc will be fine.

Adltdrvn

Established Member
It's interesting.

Will 13lbs on a Whipple put down 500+ RWHP?

I thought that required 60lb injectors and a BAP when done with a ported Eaton.

Pony4pt6: What size pulley are you running?

03dsgsnake

Established Member
I agree. Bolt on the Whipple and get it tuned. You will be close to pegging the MAF and if so a Mafia will be necessary. Stock fuel injectors, pumps etc will be fine.

:shrug: not to be a jerk but thats wrong, you def need new injectors, bap or new pumps, and a new maf and at least an email tune from rwtd to get you going then a good tune and dyno.Its not like just porting an eaton, and you will be very dissapointed with the 3.5 go 3.0 and 2# lower and youll be in heaven, im making 645 to the tire and its ionsane!!!!:beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
You don't wanna take your fuel systems to the fringes of it capability. 60 lb. injectorsa and a BAP at a minimum. Any hiccups on the stock fuel system at high boost can cost you an engine. Your MAS is just about pegged at 500 hp as well. "overkill" on a fuel system is not a bad thing.

Adltdrvn

Established Member
According to the folks at Whipple, the 2.3L blower w/ a 3.50" pulley can be bolted on with no other mods or tuning necessary. That is why they do not sell tunes for the 03/04 Cobra.

So they are saying that we can go from 8lbs. to 13lbs. on the stock tune. Is the car pig rich from the factory? I'm really confused. If we change the pulley on the Eaton to a 2.76, is a tune really necessary? Anyone try a dyno run without retuning?

Adltdrvn

Established Member
From their site:

Whipple Features:

Direct bolt on replacement.
CAD designed air inlet and SC discharge for maximum air flow.
Available for stock throttle body or larger mouth mono blade (Accufab, Billetflow).
More power, cooler charge temp, less power consumption/parasitic loss than stock Eaton.
Up to 95% efficiency.
Over 80hp gain at 13psi.
Best $$ value bolt on. More power than headers, cam, throttle body, MAF meter, chip and filter COMBINED.
No "boost drop off" (stock Eaton is 13 psi @ 4000 and only 10.5 psi @ 6000).
No "boost lag" as with centrifugals and turbos.
Boost range 8 - 25 psi.
No need for separate oil reservoir system or “catch can”.
Billet oversized bypass valve for decreased operating temps and decreased parasitic losses.
Internally lubricated. No tapping holes in pan required.
Factory fit and finish.
Available polished or black satin.
*Stock fuel system and factory PCM is ok for 13psi on stock engines
*Engines with boost levels above 13psi will require custom PCM calibration

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Look at it this way. Would you rather save a few hundred bucks by leaving the fuel system stock or spend $5k on a new motor when it starves itself of fuel due to an inadequate fuel system. It's safe insurance to upgrade now that way you have it done. Also if you do leave the stock injectors in with the whipple, you'll have to pull the compressor off to change the injectors out on down the road when you do decide to have it done.

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Look at it this way. Would you rather save a few hundred bucks by leaving the fuel system stock or spend $5k on a new motor when it starves itself of fuel due to an inadequate fuel system. It's safe insurance to upgrade now that way you have it done. Also if you do leave the stock injectors in with the whipple, you'll have to pull the compressor off to change the injectors out on down the road when you do decide to have it done.

How does it get starved of fuel? Wouldn't the power just drop if that happened? Or is it a forced induction thing...?

I wasn't aware that running out of fuel would blow an engine. I thought that happened because of detonation...

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
How does it get starved of fuel? Wouldn't the power just drop if that happened? Or is it a forced induction thing...?

I wasn't aware that running out of fuel would blow an engine. I thought that happened because of detonation...

we have a returnless sytem, so you got to understand about the duty cycles of the fuel pumps. max out your pumps, and continue to compress air in....big problem.

running out of fuel, N/A or F/I regardless, will cause the motor to go lean and boom. it happens even quicker on F/I...think about it, max your fuel then not only add more air, but COMPRESS more air with the blower causes shit to go south quick.

dont be cheap....upgrade the fuel system. if you are going to run the whipple on that low of boost anyway, stick with the eaton

Last edited:

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Hey guys... I'm an F-tard. Cobra Bobs boost chart cleared up things for me.

I had some pulleys confused. The 3.10" pulley nets around 13lbs. (I was thinking of the 2.76) which is why retuning is not really necessary. This pulley gives the same boost as the stock Whipple pulley.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
dude boost on an eaton differs with whipple. whipple is a lot bigger, same boost sure, but alot more air needing alot more fuel....

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
This pulley gives the same boost as the stock Whipple pulley.
Well yes and no, the Eaton will produce 13lbs and then drop off 1-2lbs by redline whereas the Whipple will not and with lower air temps... big difference.

But to answer your other question, yes I've heard the stock tune runs rich and yes theoretically you could pulley a car and not tune it as long as the fuel system and MAF were not over their capacity. In order to verify this you would need to do some logging with a scanning device, but even then you're taking some risks without verifying A/F with a wideband. Honestly you would leave a lot of hp on the table and I would recommend getting a good tune & handheld before even pulleying a car... well worth the money.

Silverboost

Established Member
It's interesting.

3.25 upper and stock lower...i see mostly around 16.5 and one small spike to 17psi on the dyno.

Silverboost

Established Member
It's interesting.

3.25 upper and stock lower...i see mostly around 16.5 and one small spike to 17psi on the dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread