Whiteline transmission bushing didn't help.....

acrbill

Established Member
The mcleod will fix the issue. I had one in my manual car and was hitting shifts north of 7500 no problem. Before that I was having the clutch pedal suck to the floor.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Makes sense however my pedal does not stick nor does it go soft....if it did I would have no shot hitting the next two shifts.

You also have people like Shaun running 3.73 power shifting the 1-2 at 7500 on slicks with no issues. His engine with that gear and traction is def getting there faster than mine.

Trying to take the gt clutch over 7k is a guessing game if it will work, not every car responds the same because its out of its designed range. I always recommend upgrading if planning to shift over the factory limit. I just recently had to do the clutch line in mine because I started getting locked out trying to go above 73-400. The clutch is to blame and just need to be upgraded plan and simple. The pedal doesn't have to necessarily stick to the floor, if its not making a complete dissengagemnet or releasing enough, it will lock you out of the gear.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I completely agree with drew, it is hit or miss though. My stock clutch has been great besides having some soft pedal issues early on. A good aftermarket clutch is the best fix for being locked out on the 1-2 shift. Stiffer motor mounts can also help the concern.

Laloosh

Established Member
I'm still not convinced. If the acceleration forces cause the 1-2 lock outs but have no affect on 2-3 and 3-4 at the same rpm then what causes the 4-5? I don't usually do this shift as its 140 plus in my car however the couple times I tried it the shift could not be rushed and had plenty of resistance.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'm still not convinced. If the acceleration forces cause the 1-2 lock outs but have no affect on 2-3 and 3-4 at the same rpm then what causes the 4-5? I don't usually do this shift as its 140 plus in my car however the couple times I tried it the shift could not be rushed and had plenty of resistance.

The 4-5 wot is an odd shift, most likely not hitting the Shifter just right, takes a while to get down.

Laloosh

Established Member
Your right, I forgot how to drive after installing the boss manifold. I posted my problems in my own 1-2 shift issue thread. If you read that thread maybe you will finally stop accusing me of not knowing how to shift.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Your right, I forgot how to drive after installing the boss manifold. I posted my problems in my own 1-2 shift issue thread. If you read that thread maybe you will finally stop accusing me of not knowing how to shift.

Way to flip around what I said. I said your shifting issue with the 1-2 was the stock gt clutch reving beyond its limits. Then you ask about the 4-5 because you don't shift it often and I said that maybe you just need to practice that shift more. The 4-5 is not a typical shift people wot and takes a little while to get use to at 140mph. I never said you personally can't drive, I said boss owners can't complain about the clutch issue like the gt owners can since ours weren't designed to rev that high and we are taking the stock clutch beyond its limits.

BPatterson

Established Member
The mcleod will fix the issue. I had one in my manual car and was hitting shifts north of 7500 no problem. Before that I was having the clutch pedal suck to the floor.

That's exactly what mine does when I floor it in first gear. The clutch pedal literally sucks itself down to the floor. I have never in my life seen anything like it, and I have owned quite a few manuals.

BPatterson

Established Member
The motor spins quicker through the rpm band on a 1-2 and causes the plate to stick from centrifugal force. If you lower the shifts to where the stock clutch was designed to be shifted at and shifts fine, then the plate functions fine and allows shifts. The higher you spin something, the more force is exerted onto it and if not designed to take that you will get the affect almost everyone experiences with the pedal sticking to the floor/ or soft pedal from the plate not returning. You are most likely getting locked out in first because it exerts the most force on the clutch at high rpm on the 1-2 shift.

THIS! This is exactly what I've been trying to tell people!

Mr. Anderson

Established Member
prothane motor mounts, and che make a engine torque limiter brace that limits engine movement and a mcleod rxt twin disc clutch:

View the V8 K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters<br>Part # CHE7LA at http://www.cheperformance.com

CHE11DEa.jpg

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
You also have people like Shaun running 3.73 power shifting the 1-2 at 7500 on slicks with no issues. His engine with that gear and traction is def getting there faster than mine.

I can WOT shift mine at 7800 with the CJ intake so far. It wasn't as easy as when I shifted at 6700 of course. But I made adjustments and since them no more issues. What I was experiencing on a couple shifts early on we my fault. Not the cars. I can admit it.

Here is my driving.

Forget the clutch for a second.

It is not about forgetting how to drive. It is adapting your driving to the car. You can shift at 6800. But things are different at 7800 rpm.

Look at it like this... imagine you are walking slow next to a white picket fence. You have a stick in your hand. Now as you walk by the fence poke the stick in and out of the empty space between the fence with out touching the posts. Very easy.

OK now walk at a faster pace. You can do it but it takes more effort to coordinate your speed, eyes and arm with the fence openings.

Now run next to the fence. It is impossible to do it. You miss most openings and hit the posts a lot.

This is the issue with a transmission. You have gears and syncros that need to mesh correctly to work. As rpm shifts go higher your actions have to be exponentially quicker to make every thing work smoother.

That is why racers use face plated transmissions. It allows a longer window of opportunity for engagement. So they are easier to drive and easier to be consistent with.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I can WOT shift mine at 7800 with the CJ intake so far. It wasn't as easy as when I shifted at 6700 of course. But I made adjustments and since them no more issues. What I was experiencing on a couple shifts early on we my fault. Not the cars. I can admit it.

Here is my driving.

Forget the clutch for a second.

It is not about forgetting how to drive. It is adapting your driving to the car. You can shift at 6800. But things are different at 7800 rpm.

Look at it like this... imagine you are walking slow next to a white picket fence. You have a stick in your hand. Now as you walk by the fence poke the stick in and out of the empty space between the fence with out touching the posts. Very easy.

OK now walk at a faster pace. You can do it but it takes more effort to coordinate your speed, eyes and arm with the fence openings.

Now run next to the fence. It is impossible to do it. You miss most openings and hit the posts a lot.

This is the issue with a transmission. You have gears and syncros that need to mesh correctly to work. As rpm shifts go higher your actions have to be exponentially quicker to make every thing work smoother.

That is why racers use face plated transmissions. It allows a longer window of opportunity for engagement. So they are easier to drive and easier to be consistent with.

What changes did you make to make it easier to shift into 2nd at 7600?

I understand what OP and laloosh are dealing with. Maybe some clutches/trannys are better?? But I have no luck shifting into 2nd above 7200. 7000 it might go in, but 4 out of 5 times it'll grind. Even if I slow down the shift.

This was a video of me at the track trying to shift into 2nd at 7600.

[youtube_browser]PKbyumUYd8M&sns=em[/youtube_browser]

Awful grind, and wouldn not go in. took alittle while to.

here's me shifting into 2nd at 6800, then into 3rd and 4th at 7600

[youtube_browser]9bTE6Mg2b-Q&sns=em[/youtube_browser]

86merc

Established Member
It is hard to say with out seeing what you are doing and what not. But going slower may make things worse. Going slower between your shifts may hurt more than help. Because now your shaft speeds may have a greater differential making it harder got the engagement of the syncros and gears. My issue at first was mainly my arm not moving in sync with my leg. It was too slow. I had to move the shifter quicker from gear to gear. What was fine at 6500 was not working at 7800. Pulled harder on the shifter before I hit the clutch did the trick. When I hit the clutch that shifter was moving! lol

Shifting WOT also let me take one part out of the equation. Holding the gas pedal to the floor and never letting up gives me one less thing to coordinate. Making the shifts easier to execute.

With no issues now I want to make a clutch stop. When I shift I go all the way to the floor. When I hit the floor my leg comes back up. I am not good at judging mid stoke. A clutch stop is set so it stops the the pedal before it hits the floor. So with the clutch stop I can have a quicker clutch throw. Just need the arm to work with that speed. As well as having the clutch disengage properly so it all works correctly. If it works and I can dial it in I should see small improvement. Because the less time out of power the better.

SCalla1384

Established Member
That video was actually a quick shift.. Or tried lmao. I see what your saying in slowing down. Totally makes sense.

I'll give it a shot doing a power shift.

Now that you say that, in my old t3650, 3rd was gone. It would grind on wot and normal driving every single time. BUT if I power shifted it, no grind, and was flawless lol. So worth trying...

86merc

Established Member
For me, WOT shifting is much easier than timing shifting. But I do quite alright with that too.

Laloosh

Established Member
If i try shifting faster the transmission will simply not go into second, it is not a timing issue because like i said already, it works fine for the 2-3 and 3-4. In frustration I tried to really speed up the 1-2 and all that happened was the clutch was let out while the shifter was stuck btwn N and 2nd. It will not go in on my car with sticky tires. With street tires I have no issue.

SCalla1384

Established Member
For me, WOT shifting is much easier than timing shifting. But I do quite alright with that too.

Lol well that didn't work. I power shifted into 2nd at like 7000rpm... Went right in. Tried at 7200rpm, miss. Tried 7600, miss and grind.

It is frustrating laloosh, I agree completely with you. Shifting 1st at 6800 slows you down big time. Lower gearing may help. But in reality, the only fix seems to be a twin disc clutch.

I do plan on doing a clutch line, dot4 fluid, trans fluid to see if that helps. And most likely solid motor mounts. I don't want to rip the clutch out of a car I've only had for 5 months

Users who are viewing this thread