Who’s drained fuel from a return system

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Lethal return system. What’s the easiest way to empty the tank without dropping it

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I have that Y block on my firewall, before that I assume

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure what your wiring set up is, but I jumped the Hobbs switch to run the pump full time for pressure testing.

If I had to drain I’d probably pull a like off the regulator

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have that Y block on my firewall, before that I assume
The inlet to the Y block would probably be best. I'm not sure how well it would work if you left one rail connected while using the other line to drain the system.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The inlet to the Y block would probably be best. I'm not sure how well it would work if you left one rail connected while using the other line to drain the system.
that’s what I was thinking

I plan on taking the feed hose off the filter, turning the pumps on, and draining it into a gas can.
I was going to try this also. This actually seems like the easiest way

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure what your wiring set up is, but I jumped the Hobbs switch to run the pump full time for pressure testing.

If I had to drain I’d probably pull a like off the regulator

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
All I know is as soon as I turn the key on the pump runs

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Any recommendations on emptying a OEM Fuel system and tank?

people have posted in the past about jumping the relay for the pump or having a tune that runs the pump full time. Not sure what line you would pull though, I think most people doing this had at least aftermarket rails with an AN fitting to undo.

papajoewill

Established Member
Jumping at the plug under the back bumper will probably be your best bet. The only issue I see is coming up with a drain hose.

Maybe you can make something like this work. Just add a hose from here to a can.

This is my plan I'm leaning towards. I have and MS3 so I can hopefully try to figure out how to get a file to have the pumps run with key on, then my plan was to unhook at the fuel filter and put a line to a gas tank.

01yellercobra

Established Member
This is my plan I'm leaning towards. I have and MS3 so I can hopefully try to figure out how to get a file to have the pumps run with key on, then my plan was to unhook at the fuel filter and put a line to a gas tank.
Under the fuel pump there's an On/Off option IIRC. If you pick that it should drive the pumps full time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well another reason I like my pumps running full time with the key ignition set to "on".

I disconnect the AN fitting after the fuel filter which is located under the passenger side door. Then I attach another AN fitting and hose and run that to a 5 gallon jug. Then I turn the ignition on.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

papajoewill

Established Member
For anyone that runs into this problem/idea that runs a MS3 and stock fuel system, I figured it out and have some directions:
I had to change the fuel pump settings from closed loop to on/off. Then entered test I/O mode and with the duty cycle change to 48%, that's what allowed me to activate the pumps. I kept the 78Hz frequency. Fuel will hold pressure at the rail area so I disconnected at the fuel filter and hooked up a line that ran into a gas tank. I changed my fuel filter while I was under there and could tell it needed it. I had my car connected to a battery charger/tender and cycled the pump on for 20-30sec and then off for the same amount of time. I noticed towards the end the pumps would make a different noise compared to a full tank and I immediately stopped the process to not burn out the pumps when I heard that change. It took a little while but didn't have to drop the tank or anything special. The tank capacity is a little over 15gal so I filled a 5gal nearly three times and the gauge is reading nearly on empty.

Users who are viewing this thread