who builds the strongest t56

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
trans took a shit today. If there is a simple answer to this, id like it. Who makes the strongest t56. I assume it isnt the t56 magnum from d&d performance.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
There is Tiger Transmission in Port Allen but I don't remember if they deal with T-56's or not. I got mine from RPM Transmission but I can't say for sure or not if they are any good as TPS in Gonzales ruined it before I got to drive it and had it rebuilt. I would trust Budget Transmission in Baton Rouge off Airline Hwy with anything I own. Brian has installed a T-56 and several clutches for me.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I haven't really researched their company yet, but I got a quote from Standard Transmission and Gear Inc in Fort Worth, TX for a "Stage 2" rebuild (http://www.standardtransmission.com/index.html). For $850, this is what the rebuild consists of:

Carbon Kevlar synchro rings
Keys and springs
Fork pad kit
Seals
Billet 1-2 keys
Billett 3-4 keys
Bronze 1-2-3-4 fork pads
Bronze shifter bushing
Steel 3-4 fork

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I haven't really researched their company yet, but I got a quote from Standard Transmission and Gear Inc in Fort Worth, TX for a "Stage 2" rebuild (Standard Transmissions & Parts: Tremec - Borg Warner - New Venture - Getrag, Cummins, 4 speed transmission, 5 speed transmission, 6 speed transmission). For $850, this is what the rebuild consists of:

Carbon Kevlar synchro rings
Keys and springs
Fork pad kit
Seals
Billet 1-2 keys
Billett 3-4 keys
Bronze 1-2-3-4 fork pads
Bronze shifter bushing
Steel 3-4 fork

No way thats parts and labor..... (as in rebuild labor with you dropping off the tranny)

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
A local recommended that same stage 2 as well for $850. Mines a viper spec so hopefully some things are still salvageable but wont know until it's opened up. I dont mind having someone local fix it or shipping it out. It's the parts that go in it that matter. We've got some good trans shops here.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Texas drivetrain can build you anything you want. Their standard options are on par or beyond others, but where they really set themselves apart is their customer service. My car is Ca, and I wont deal with anyone else. Their shipping is incredibly reasonable as well. About $100 each way anywhere.

T56 6 Speed

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
texas drive train it is. Thanks gentlemen.

it's a pity in my 4th pull with my WOT box, it shit out. the WOT box was simply amazing for power shifting. Id recommend everyone get it if you power shift.

I wonder be updating when done. I have no time frame to get this fix. As always, i was too dumb to put money side for this.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
No way thats parts and labor..... (as in rebuild labor with you dropping off the tranny)

Yep, that's what the email says. I wouldn't ship though, just drop off and pick up, it would give me a good reason to go visit the parents in McKinney.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
I had the pleasure of working with Rick @RKT in Frederick Md today. I have nothing but GOOD things to say about these guys! Rick was exceptionally professional and answered any and all questions. I sat there and watched him pull down my t-56. I highly recommend him. His website is RKT56.com. And his customer service is A+++

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
How does texas drive train's t56's stack up to D&D's "unbreakable one" which is $4000.

I hate the idea of dropping 3-4k on trans repair(if it isnt trashed) but we all know the importance of building it the best you can the first time. I am not wanting to do this away. This kills the rest of my year and then some.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
How does texas drive train's t56's stack up to D&D's "unbreakable one" which is $4000.

I hate the idea of dropping 3-4k on trans repair(if it isnt trashed) but we all know the importance of building it the best you can the first time. I am not wanting to do this away. This kills the rest of my year and then some.

Yea I'm in the same boat but because of future plans I'm am installing a Magnum in just a few short weeks. I have found that the 3,899.00 price tag from D&D also comes with bellhousing, trans mount and a "new" driveshaft. But after research make sure the driveshaft's yoke matches the rear seal! There have been issues with this theough other reads but to my believe D&D has fixed this issue.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I have found that the 3,899.00 price tag from D&D also comes with bellhousing, trans mount and a "new" driveshaft.
That is great news!

Now it's just a matter of seeing who can build the strongest. I still think texas drive train might be the place to go but im sure labor cost are on par with the same parts. I guess ill have to get stuff cryoed.

I actually bought the front driveshaft yoke from D&D. I assume it's a 31 spline since the trans is from a viper coupe.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
That is great news!

Now it's just a matter of seeing who can build the strongest. I still think texas drive train might be the place to go but im sure labor cost are on par with the same parts. I guess ill have to get stuff cryoed.

I actually bought the front driveshaft yoke from D&D. I assume it's a 31 spline since the trans is from a viper coupe.

The wider gear faces in the magnum make it the strongest manual trans for our car. Over 700rwhp and you start to overheat the teeth on the input cluster and they just get ripped off. Direct cluster oiling will take you up to about 800-850rwhp but it's not a forever thing, it'll just extend the life of the gears before they eventually fail. The Magnum is a stronger transmission as far as HP holding. It is good for around 800rwhp before cluster oiling is needed, then it's good for repeated 1,000rwhp romps. IMO It's weakness is the teeth on the synchros. They make those smaller, as well as the synchro ring itself to accommodate the wider, stronger gear set....Tremec says it's better, I went with a T56 because in my eyes, the beefier synchros will be more robust for high rpm shifts.

The Viper shaft is a 30 spline piece, not 31. They're also only double cone synchros on 1-2, not 3-4 or 5-6, only single there, with otherwise stock internals. Not really sure how they charge 4k for one of those. It's good for only 550 ft lbs. and 6400 rpm shifts.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
thanks for the info. A buddy of mine got his t56 built from tick performance, not texas drive train. I was wrong. I'm liking what you say about the magnum from D&D.

I put a WOT box in my truck so power shifting is much easier on the trans. I always found it took some time for the syncros to work even on the 1-2 shifting.

I researched the tr6060 but it seems the t56 hold power and abuse in general better although the tr6060 is a smoother trans.

Considering i picked up a used viper spec for around 1500a few years ago, there's no way id pay near 4k for any stockish trans. Viper spec is cool and all but they sure dont shift as well as the terminator. But i got it for the strength. That didnt last either. It was used and it did take a lot of abuse so i cant complain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread