who builds the strongest t56

snakeraper11b

Established Member
thanks for the info. A buddy of mine got his t56 built from tick performance, not texas drive train. I was wrong. I'm liking what you say about the magnum from D&D.

I put a WOT box in my truck so power shifting is much easier on the trans. I always found it took some time for the syncros to work even on the 1-2 shifting.

I researched the tr6060 but it seems the t56 hold power and abuse in general better although the tr6060 is a smoother trans.

Considering i picked up a used viper spec for around 1500a few years ago, there's no way id pay near 4k for any stockish trans. Viper spec is cool and all but they sure dont shift as well as the terminator. But i got it for the strength. That didnt last either. It was used and it did take a lot of abuse so i cant complain.

The only way to get a T56 to shift smooth at high rpm is to retrofit a housing and use the GM gear set with triple cone syncrhos on the 1-2 and 3-4. That or go with the rockland standard gear T56, which is almost $5,000....The ultimate downfall of a T56 is the gear width as mentioned above. The 30 spline viper shaft is basically unbreakable, the 31 is stronger and 32 is even more robust. Basically a "viper spec" trans, is a stock trans with a 30 spline output and 26 in. It's not going to handle any amount of extreme power. I mean hell, the Z06 trans is rated to almost 750 ft lbs., 200 more than a viper spec. The only real benefit to running the larger main shaft is the higher spline count on the slip yoke, which is where you usually get your driveline failure launching repeatedly. The splines will twist, or the yoke can shatter. The 26 spline input is also rarely damaged by power.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Looks like i will be going with Tick performance's level 5 in possibly a fbody case. I will have to talk with them to make sure the shifter is in the same place and my shifter can work. May have to do a few things to make it work with my truck. We shall see. The trans is about 5k.

I will inquire about the triple cone Synchros. Thanks.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
update. My trans is at Tick performance. their customer service was awesome and they answered my many many questions over a long period of time. should be back here in a few weeks stronger than ever.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We took mine down and i destroyed the gear on the input shaft and the gear that turns. We never shimmed it when we switched over to the ford input shaft from the dodge. I believe it would still be working today.

I cant do a magnum. They dont offer what i want out the box. This was much much cheaper.

Im sure your's does handle high rpm power shifts. How's it handle dumping the clutch on slicks at the track at near 6k or more rpms?

JrSVT

Established Member
update. My trans is at Tick performance. their customer service was awesome and they answered my many many questions over a long period of time. should be back here in a few weeks stronger than ever.

I had mine done at Tick Performance as well. Stage 2 with all the goodies...as stated, great customer service. Great people to work with.

Jr.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
How does the trans feel with the level two driving around town and beating on the car?

I got my trans used from a junk yard. To add to that, i learned,grinded and missed a lot on it. So i may not know how a perfectly good t56 may feel.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Just an update from people who search and/or like to view updates.

I went with the tick level 2 upgrade which is near identical to the fbody or terminator level 3. There's no higher level for the viper spec.

I have maybe 6 weeks with my trans now. It was a little tough to shift at first. But it got better very quickly after putting some miles on it. I realized i had filthy clutch fluid so i am in the loooong process of cleaning that crap out with fresh fluid. Shifting has gotten better ever since i started keeping the fluid fresh.

I also started experimenting with my wot box. It's a lot of fun. I do find i have to falcon punch the shifter into gear. I do feel the clutch fluid being dirty is the cause though. Over all i've very pleased. No track visits are planned for now. Id hate to have something else break. I am really enjoying my truck being driveable now.

I did the cobrabob shifter gasket when i put the trans in. Also used some Dexron 3 per Tick's recommendation.

Only mod i have planned is a RXT clutch. Not sure if the 2-3 brass washer mod for easier WOT shifting will work for this trans. It trans feels good at WOT. Only think lacking is driver mod.

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Glad you are enjoying your Tick Level 2. My opinion is biased because I work for Tick, but our trans guys take great pride into building the best transmissions and I think they do an awesome job. We get in anywhere from 2-6 transmissions a day for builds during the busy season and I think that's a good testament the work our guys do.

Enjoy!

Mystic03

Established Member
Glad you are enjoying your Tick Level 2. My opinion is biased because I work for Tick, but our trans guys take great pride into building the best transmissions and I think they do an awesome job. We get in anywhere from 2-6 transmissions a day for builds during the busy season and I think that's a good testament the work our guys do.

Enjoy!

what are the prices if i send my t56 in no issues with it just thinkin i need to send it in to be stronger for my current build..planning 800-1k to the wheels

asierra1

Established Member
Texas drivetrain can build you anything you want. Their standard options are on par or beyond others, but where they really set themselves apart is their customer service. My car is Ca, and I wont deal with anyone else. Their shipping is incredibly reasonable as well. About $100 each way anywhere.

T56 6 Speed
They did mine and I have had zero issues. Great service and competitive pricing. My stage 2 build with a 26 spline shaft and tob sleeve ran me $1050

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Only issues i had so far with my trans was me. I noticed the trans was taking a little longer to get into gear(you could hear the gears etc trying to match speeds on a sloooow shift). After a week or two this, i remembered i my clutch fluid is probably more dirty than bayou water. Sure enough it was. After many many flushes and drivers(like ranger's corvette videos), it works perfect now. Although this isnt ap roblem with terminators due to the cable clutch system.

I will say my trans did take maybe a two or so longer than estimated but with the volume of transmissions they work on, it wasnt bad at all. Plus like said, they have a lot of work because they are good. Costumer service was awesome even before i sent the trans to them. I give them a 10/10.

And again, does the brass washer mod work on mine now after being built?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread