Who has Aftermarket Half Shafts?????

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
I have the Amazon halfshafts which I thought were the same as the DSS Stage 2.. guess I'm wrong ? I can't remember what I paid but its whatever Amazon is charging for their upgraded halfshafts.

I saw the video and I heard the guy had 4.30 or 4.56 gears + k member and drag shocks and I think a relocated battery. That is what it takes to yank those suckers :) I'm certain his halfshafts are under less stress than ours with 3.55 gears. Great vid :)

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Thanks for your info Jerry i am pretty sure Rick was using another type of halfshaft bar and kit other than the DSS bars Frank sells.

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
That is just the 2 halfshaft bars,boots and clamps for that price that is the only setup they sell for our cars currently until the testing is completed for the stage 5 setup.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
That is just the 2 halfshaft bars,boots and clamps for that price that is the only setup they sell for our cars currently until the testing is completed for the stage 5 setup.

You mean you don't get the universals on each end?

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
No aftermarket universals you use the cv joints from the stock unit and assemble them to the DSS bars, Frank assured me that the stock cv joints are very good on our cars and no need to change them out unless we are running alot more power(600HP plus)because the bar is what breaks inside the boot where it necks down smaller on the stock halfshaft.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
No aftermarket universals you use the cv joints from the stock unit and assemble them to the DSS bars, Frank assured me that the stock cv joints are very good on our cars and no need to change them out unless we are running alot more power(600HP plus)because the bar is what breaks inside the boot where it necks down smaller on the stock halfshaft.

Good info. I think the bars is the way Ill go, Im only looking for insurance for when I go to the track a few times this summer.

trey193

Established Member
Looks as if I will get the ones High Roller is talking about. I have come across several people using them, High Roller, MJCHIP, Venomous03, JerryK, Jimmy V. and most likely several others, for the money seems like a great fix! I am not so worried about snapping a stock shaft on the starting line but someone was talking about them letting go on a 2nd gear powershift (which I do) now thats the shit that scares me and makes me want to upgrade!

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
There seems to be several guys that are running another type of stage 2 kit that is most likely the upgraded kit Rick sells and thinking they are the DSS stage 2 kit which is not available to us yet until further testing is completed only the halfshaft bars are available as of now and should hold up for any eaton powered car i was told.

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Trey i believe they are still $549:)

wickedstangs do you still have your broken part to see where the actual break was at that would help alot. All i know is Frank told me he has over 100 sets of bars on cobras and has had no failures except the strictly car which was running 700rwhp and they broke a hub on the stage 5 kit during testing. I know most bars are breaking inside the boot near the cv joint where the stock halfshaft bar reduces in size on the end.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Has anyone tried the GKN halfshafts? Just wondering how they are working? Are they worth 1299.00?
We were supposed to be putting the GKN halfshafts in my car first to test them out. But that was a month or two ago at least so I have no idea whats taking so long. Everytime I ask I don't get any answers. :shrug: I will just wait until N4S calls me and says they are ready.

I have been trying hard to find out information about the GKN halfshafts. GKN doesnt really rate them for a certain amount of HP or anything, but I keep hearing that they are very strong. GKN makes halfshafts for the corvette/viper guys making 900hp or more and the GKN halfshafts for us are supposed to be just as strong. They are supposedly strong enough for 900hp but I don't have any proof to back that up. I will keep trying though. I have been waiting to put up a thread about this until I get more details and until they are actually in my car.

But if I find out anything I will put it up in this thread.

Last edited:

wickedstangs

Established Member
Trey i believe they are still $549:)

wickedstangs do you still have your broken part to see where the actual break was at that would help alot. All i know is Frank told me he has over 100 sets of bars on cobras and has had no failures except the strictly car which was running 700rwhp and they broke a hub on the stage 5 kit during testing. I know most bars are breaking inside the boot near the cv joint where the stock halfshaft bar reduces in size on the end.

I am going to try to get pics of my broken half shaft post it soon.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
ARe they still selling for 54 Matt?? Venomous said he paid 649 for his??

$549 if they send you the pieces and you install them.

$649 if you send them your halfshafts and THEY disassemble, clean, inspect, ANNEAL AND RE-HEAT TREAT THE OUTER CV JOINTS, and reassemble with synthetic grease. Needless to say, that's what I did. I have about 120 passes on them with mostly low to mid 1.7 60' times making over 700lb-ft of torque (nitrous) to the wheels and no problems.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread