Who has an Xcal3 and can clarify

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
Just was wondering a few things about the hand held tuners. My previous cobra had a chip tune so haven't hand-held-tuned a car i owned yet. I'm looking into buying an XCAL3 as the tuner i'll be going to uses SCT.

Now what I'm wondering is, I know with the Xcal there are a lot of features, some of which include adjusting speedo for new tire sizes and rear end gear ratio changes....

My question is: If I dyno tune the car after putting a CAI and pulley on my 2007 GT500 lets say, and they use slot 1 of the SCT XCAL3 for the dyno tune and load it into the car....IF in 3 months later, I change the rear end gears and want to use the XCAL to recalibrate the computer to know I have 3.73s in the rear now does it overwrite the dyno tune??? or just add-ON to the computer tune (ie: not affecting the dyno tune, and I can still change peramiters like gears and tire ratios at will).

ALSO: Where is the ECU/PCM (computer) on the Shelby GT500?? I think i need the code off of it when ordering an XCAL right?

Luckybob2485

Established Member
I have yet to purchase the xcal, so im not familiar with it, but i would highly recommend talking to Rick at Amazon tuning, he is very knowledgable with the xcal, and will be able to answer all of your questions. He even has an area in this forum for questions and answers.

sharke

Established Member
If you ask your tuner to keep the parameters unlocked you can edit the xcal3 tune with new settings like gear and tire rotations per mile without affecting engine parameters.

Source: Xcal's website.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
If you ask your tuner to keep the parameters unlocked you can edit the xcal3 tune with new settings like gear and tire rotations per mile without affecting engine parameters.

Source: Xcal's website.

Interesting. What are the benefits or problems with keeping the tuner LOCKED or UNLOCKED?

AND WHERE IS THE COMPUTER LOCATED ON THE GT500s??

que4dog

Established Member
You should be able to change those parameters. You would reload your tune & edit the parameters at that time.

sharke

Established Member
Interesting. What are the benefits or problems with keeping the tuner LOCKED or UNLOCKED?

AND WHERE IS THE COMPUTER LOCATED ON THE GT500s??

I think that it is under the dash on the left. The benefit of keeping certain paramters locked is so that the end user doesn't mess up the tuners hard work.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Someone on another forum said the computer is under the hood on the passenger side, in the front near the fuse box. I haven't gone back out to the car yet to check.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You have 3 "slots" for a tune. When you go to load one of those tunes it will ask if you want to change any perimeters about that specific tune. IF I understand correctly, it doesnt change the tune that is saved on the Xcal, but makes the changes in the process of loading to the vehicle.

At least thats how it is on my Xcal2, so I would assume its very similiar, if not identical.

mullens

Established Member
Locking or unlocking the tuner has nothing to do with adjusting options. When you load a tune into your car, the tuner is automatically "locked". The only way to unlock it is to go back to stock, then it is considered "unlocked" and can be used on another vehicle. I think you are only allowed a certain amount of unlocks, (it used to be 6) but I could be wrong.

I have the enhanced X3, which is a little different than the tutuorial. In short, when you change parameters, i.e. axle ratio, and load the tune those changes will stay with that tune in the programmer. The next time you load the tune, it will ask if you want to keep previous options (the ones you chose) or adjust again. If you choose to adjust again, it will ask if you want to adjust the saved changes or default. If you chose default (recommended by SCT) you basically go back to the tune as it was sent and you have to adjust all the parameters again. Those new options become your new saved options for that tune until you change them again. If you have more than one tune, each tune will have specific options you chose attached to it.

The only way you can overwrite a tune is to load another into the same slot as an exisiting one.

When you purchase an XCAL you may have to give them your strategy, which is on top of the ECM. Most of the good vendors don't even need it, just the year of your Shelby.

This is 1st hand knowledge, much trial and error and numerous calls to SCT.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

cbrmuscle

Established Member
The physical computer is located near the fuse box. The port you plug your tuner into is left hand side under the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread