Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
I built one over this past Christmas.....I have pictures somewhere but can't find them.

Fractal Design Define S
i7-6700k- Overclocked at 5Ghz
EK AIO Predator 240 Radiator Water Cooling System
32GB of G. Skill DDR4-3200
NVIDIA Titan X Pascal
500GB Western Digital HDD (Storage)
256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (Flight Simulator Drive)
180GB Intel 330 SSD (OS Drive and Miscellaneous)
850W Power Supply
4K Monitor
MSI Z170 Gaming M7 Motherboard

System runs great and is SUPER fast.

helloWorld

Established Member
So, the reviews for the 1080 Ti are out, and it beats the Titan XP in every game at 1440P and higher, for 500 dollars less.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm holding out hope for an MSi/Corsair collaboration on a GTX 1080 Ti. :D

helloWorld

Established Member
I seen the review on Linus Tech Tips. If my 970 wasnt enough, that's what id go for.

Since I play at 1440P and like higher frame rates, I am coming to realize that my regular 980 is not cutting it anymore for newer titles. I bought the Witcher 3 GOTY edition and I was getting around 50 fps with a lot of variance, even with a lot of the options turned down slightly. I uninstalled it and will replay it when I get a new GPU.

This 1080 Ti is very tempting. I just hope I have enough self-control to wait until June for the AMD Vega release.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm using a BenQ XL2411 personally. Same specs though.

Edit: It's only $300 through Amazon (with Prime).

Kiohtee

Established Member
Sorry to double post, but do we have any early Kaby Lake adopters in here? If so, what are your temperatures using a stress test program (in my instance, Prime95)?

I get high temperatures (78-82°C) shortly after starting the test (10-12 minutes in). My setup seems to do fine under real world tests (i.e. GTA V, American Truck Simulator, CoD/BF titles, etc.), but I'm worried I'm going to have to de-lid my CPU and reapply a thermal paste to my AIO cooler.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I'm trying to find a 1070 on sale or around $300 as several sites have indicated they will be priced at with the new price drop of the 1080.

jacker1991

Established Member
Sorry to double post, but do we have any early Kaby Lake adopters in here? If so, what are your temperatures using a stress test program (in my instance, Prime95)?

I get high temperatures (78-82°C) shortly after starting the test (10-12 minutes in). My setup seems to do fine under real world tests (i.e. GTA V, American Truck Simulator, CoD/BF titles, etc.), but I'm worried I'm going to have to de-lid my CPU and reapply a thermal paste to my AIO cooler.

Which AIO are you using? Are you OCing? Make sure you have a nice amount of air going through your case. Seems like a few AIOs are front mounted and completely destroy your airflow through the case, which in turn decreases the performance of the AIO as the temperature inside the case start climbing.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm currently rocking a Corsair H100i v2. And funny enough, it is mounted at the front of my case. The only other mounting option I have is to mount it at the top, but even then I think that will be pushing it room-wise. Even if I eliminate one set of fans (it's currently in a push/pull configuration).

And no, I'm not OCing yet. Not even interested until I can get stock temps down to an acceptable level. However, temperatures remain optimal playing games, so maybe I shouldn't worry about the totally unrealistic loads that Prime95 uses.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ You sure your radiator fans are mounted correctly?
it needs to flow outwards, venting outside of the case.

It can be set up like this
< = fan direction its blowing
[] = radiator
fans working against each other:
<[]> or >[]<

outside <[]<

lol i bet noobs are like wtf!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
this is a nice sleek setup
b3d2dIcmXbiFjM1_C1m9S2N3SJ6KnD9L90W8u9PbvjM.jpg

I bet that setup is loud AF though.

Kiohtee

Established Member
^ You sure your radiator fans are mounted correctly?
it needs to flow outwards, venting outside of the case.

It can be set up like this
< = fan direction its blowing
[] = radiator
fans working against each other:
<[]> or >[]<

outside <[]<

lol i bet noobs are like wtf!

Everything I've ever read or seen says exactly the opposite, which is that you want you first fan pulling from outside and into the radiator, with your second fan pulling from inside the radiator into the case.

Otherwise, aren't you pulling hot air from inside the case and letting that be the air that "cools" your CPU?

mr2cam

Established Member
Ok first off you don't need your radiator fans to be pushing air outside the case, I am using my h100i v2 on my VR system in the front using both the fans as an intake. You want a positive pressure system, meaning you want more intake fans then exhaust, if you have a negative pressure system it will cause more dust to come in the small cracks and other non filtered intakes.

On to your problem zhisel, are you overclocked at all? If so what voltage? Also I wouldn't use P95, it can cause issues with intel cpus, download OCCT and run a quick 10 minute stress test, if temps are still out of wack it could be your H100i V2, the first one that I got had a faulty pump and was doing the exact same thing as you are reporting.

jacker1991

Established Member
Use OCCT instead. Also, Prime95 sometimes has issue with new hardware. Also, from personal experience, unless you are willing to make a custom water loop, or spend 300+ on a high quality AIO (friend uses this Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige), I would stick with High-End Air (Like Noctua for example). Unless you are going for the looks, which is perfectly understandable.

I will definitely suggest to anyone willing to put in the work, custom loops are the shit. Extremely good looking and the performance is amazing. And to be honest, not that hard to do.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
That's true there's a science to all this, I mounted my CPU cooler to the rear and have two front fans free taking in more air.
Been running cool for 4 years. Then again that pic I posted has a setup similar to yours, front mounted.

I'm running an matx case and what mr2 said is correct, more intake than exhaust. I have two open intake fans in the front and my h80 cooler mounted to the back. Four fans, but two of them are stacked with the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread