Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

mr2cam

Established Member
Use OCCT instead. Also, Prime95 sometimes has issue with new hardware. Also, from personal experience, unless you are willing to make a custom water loop, or spend 300+ on a high quality AIO (friend uses this Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige), I would stick with High-End Air (Like Noctua for example). Unless you are going for the looks, which is perfectly understandable.

I will definitely suggest to anyone willing to put in the work, custom loops are the shit. Extremely good looking and the performance is amazing. And to be honest, not that hard to do.

The H100 V2 should have no issues running any Kaby Lake CPU, im using one to cool my 6700k that is clocked at 4.7ghz, yes they do have issues but they are cheap and easy to install. While I agree there are better CLC options and an open loop is the best choice, but they are a lot more money. I am using an EK Predator 360 to cool my 5820k in my main system and they are a much better cooler, but an extra $150-$200 compared to a corsair unit

Kiohtee

Established Member
Ok first off you don't need your radiator fans to be pushing air outside the case, I am using my h100i v2 on my VR system in the front using both the fans as an intake. You want a positive pressure system, meaning you want more intake fans then exhaust, if you have a negative pressure system it will cause more dust to come in the small cracks and other non filtered intakes.

On to your problem zhisel, are you overclocked at all? If so what voltage? Also I wouldn't use P95, it can cause issues with intel cpus, download OCCT and run a quick 10 minute stress test, if temps are still out of wack it could be your H100i V2, the first one that I got had a faulty pump and was doing the exact same thing as you are reporting.

I am not currently overclocked. All multipliers and voltages should be factory as I haven't changed anything like that in the BIOS. Also, see below about OCCT.

Use OCCT instead. Also, Prime95 sometimes has issue with new hardware. Also, from personal experience, unless you are willing to make a custom water loop, or spend 300+ on a high quality AIO (friend uses this Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige), I would stick with High-End Air (Like Noctua for example). Unless you are going for the looks, which is perfectly understandable.

I will definitely suggest to anyone willing to put in the work, custom loops are the shit. Extremely good looking and the performance is amazing. And to be honest, not that hard to do.

Downloaded and testing with OCCT now. Will report back with numbers shortly. As for my AIO; isn't necessarily for looks, but it was picked with the Corsair theme in mind. Literally the only thing not Corsair with my system is the motherboard and CPU. If Corsair made an air cooler, I'd probably be rocking it instead of one of their liquid coolers.

That's true there's a science to all this, I mounted my CPU cooler to the rear and have two front fans free taking in more air.
Been running cool for 4 years. Then again that pic I posted has a setup similar to yours, front mounted.

I'm running an matx case and what mr2 said is correct, more intake than exhaust. I have two open intake fans in the front and my h80 cooler mounted to the back. Four fans, but two of them are stacked with the radiator.

Thank you (and the others) for confirmation on case ventilation/fan placement. My current setup is as follows:

Front: Four 120mm intake fans; push/pull configuration (H100i v2 AIO)
Top: Two 120mm exhaust fans
Rear: One 120mm intake fan on the backside of GPU radiator (fan closer to CPU than case itself)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I am not currently overclocked. All multipliers and voltages should be factory as I haven't changed anything like that in the BIOS. Also, see below about OCCT.

Downloaded and testing with OCCT now. Will report back with numbers shortly. As for my AIO; isn't necessarily for looks, but it was picked with the Corsair theme in mind. Literally the only thing not Corsair with my system is the motherboard and CPU. If Corsair made an air cooler, I'd probably be rocking it instead of one of their liquid coolers.

Thank you (and the others) for confirmation on case ventilation/fan placement. My current setup is as follows:

Front: Four 120mm intake fans; push/pull configuration (H100i v2 AIO)
Top: Two 120mm exhaust fans
Rear: One 120mm intake fan on the backside of GPU radiator (fan closer to CPU than case itself)
I read up on the ideal setup and I should install a top mount fan but 4 fans are good enough for me.
I read that Installing the CPU rad in the front cools the CPU more and everything else gets a warmer. On the other hand installing the rad top mounted cools everything else and has the CPU running a little warmer.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Top mount is out of the question for me. Probably mainly because of my case (Corsair Carbide Series 400C), but between the RAM and the radiator for the GPU, my two 120mm fans barely have enough room. That's what you get for being fascinated by liquid cooling I guess. :p

OCCT (obviously) results after 15 minutes:
OCCT Stress Test.png

Prime95 results after 15 minutes:
Prime95 Stress Test.png

Everything appear OK, even though y'all don't recommend Prime95?

mr2cam

Established Member
Looking at your temps that looks pretty normal for a 4.5ghz 7700k. Looking at the voltage it shows a max of 1.29 which with some vdroop is probably closer to 1.30. Willing to bet that you can get the multiplayer to at least 4.7ghz at 1.30-1.32v. As far as P95, it depends on the version, but there were certain ones that did not play well with intel, OCCT I have found to be the best stress test to figure out if your system is unstable. As for the front mounted radiator heating up everything else, that is not true since you are using the FM to cool your CPU, the coolant temps on your H100i probably don't go over 32c, most of the reason that you are seeing those high temps is due to the integrated heat spreader and the piss poor paste that they use, so the heat extracted from the 7700k isn't as much as you would think.

mr2cam

Established Member
Also willing to guess you could hit 5ghz with as little as 1.36v, maybe even less, remember stress testing is WAY more then taxing then actual gaming or use of the computer, unless you plan on doing a ton of rendering then I wouldn't worry about your stress test hitting as high as 80-85c on a spike. Anything over that then I would back down the voltage, I usually don't like going over 1.35 for a 24/7 project, but the Kaby Lake system seems to live just fine with voltage above 1.35

Kiohtee

Established Member
So is overclocking as simple as increasing the clock and voltage (accordingly)? And I'm assuming that if I can make it to my desktop and play some games for a little while, I'm safe?

mr2cam

Established Member
Another quick bit about Kaby Lake, if you are having issues getting to 5ghz a decent voltage, try reducing the cache ratio down to around 44. Also make sure you do your first overclock at default memory speed of 2133mhz, after you finish your final OC then bump the memory up and make sure it is stable. There are times when you are not able to achieve max frequency along with max memory speed, my 5820k at 4.6ghz can only hit 2400mhz speed even though the ram is rated at 3000mhz, while my VR station can run 4.7ghz on the 6700k and 3000mhz (DDR4 3000mhz memory). Every system will differ

mr2cam

Established Member
So is overclocking as simple as increasing the clock and voltage (accordingly)? And I'm assuming that if I can make it to my desktop and play some games for a little while, I'm safe?

Not really, first thing to do is to go and set your voltage to a static voltage, I would recommend around 1.30 volts, then slowly increase your multiplier, so go up to a 46 multiplier, do a 10-15 minute OCCT stress test, if it passes, then go to a 47 multiplier and repeat the stress test. If you fail, move voltage up from 1.30 to 1.31 and repeat test. If you follow these steps then you should be able to get close to 5ghz at the voltage I said earlier. Your final stress test should be quite a bit longer, because at that point you will have your memory where you want it and cache ratio, so I suggest at least an hour stress test. Some people say 8 hours but I think that is a bit crazy TBH, I have never had an unstable system after doing an hour stress test.

mr2cam

Established Member
Sorry I forgot one important step, after each increase in clock speeds, make sure you do a benchmark (Suggest cinebench R15). So do a baseline at 4.5ghz, then after each increase do the bench after the stress test to make sure you are making headway

Kiohtee

Established Member
Thank you for all of your help man, I truly appreciate it! After my newest game gets done downloading, I'm going to take a look in my BIOS and figure out what everything does and try OCing using the exact methods you suggested.

Here's to hoping for a 4.9/5.0Ghz OC!

quad

Established Member
Glad I did not get a 1080 yet. I might just go for the 1080 ti later in the year. Looking to build a rig with 64 GB RAM. And maybe hook up a 40" 4k!

Kiohtee

Established Member
And here are my OC results:

4.7Ghz @ 1.3V
OCCT Stress Test - 4.7Ghz - 1.3V.png

4.8Ghz @ 1.34V
OCCT Stress Test - 4.8Ghz - 1.34V.png

Unfortunately, that's the fastest she is with stability. I did OC to 5.0Ghz just for shits and giggles, and while it did produce an awesome Cinebench score, it failed the OCCT stress test within three seconds. Now onto a de-lid to reign in these temperatures a bit.

jacker1991

Established Member
Pretty decent OC. Not used to seeing such high temp values since my last Intel build but nothing that extreme. Hopefully getting a better thermal paste can get you like 5 degrees or something (/pray).

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Going to go from an FX-8350 and HD 7950 to i7-7700k and GTX 1080 (or GTX 1080Ti if I get the urge to splurge). Will my Rosewill Capstone-750-M (750W 80+ Gold) be enough to power the new rig?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Pretty decent OC. Not used to seeing such high temp values since my last Intel build but nothing that extreme. Hopefully getting a better thermal paste can get you like 5 degrees or something (/pray).

While the temps have me a little uneasy as well, nothing I have actually put it through has made temps rise to those levels (well, other than the stress test). I will be sending my CPU off to Silicon Lottery for a de-lid though. That alone is supposed to drop the temps significantly.

Going to go from an FX-8350 and HD 7950 to i7-7700k and GTX 1080 (or GTX 1080Ti if I get the urge to splurge). Will my Rosewill Capstone-750-M (750W 80+ Gold) be enough to power the new rig?

Oh absolutely! I'm powering my rig with a 550W (80+ Gold as well), and that's with a small OC and a GTX 1070.

FWIW though, I plan to step up to a 600-650W (80+ Gold again) depending on my next GPU upgrade (MSi/Corsair GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti if they collaborate on one).

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
zhisel,

Is there any reason you went with the Z270 Carbon and not the Titanium? Just price? Availability? Or is there a benefit with the Carbon? Sorry, but I realized while lurking that your build is very similar to the rig I want to build.

Kiohtee

Established Member
zhisel,

Is there any reason you went with the Z270 Carbon and not the Titanium? Just price? Availability? Or is there a benefit with the Carbon? Sorry, but I realized while lurking that your build is very similar to the rig I want to build.

There may be a real reason to go with one over the other, but my reason is purely from an aesthetic standpoint. My setup uses all black components, including peripherals, with only white LEDs.

Users who are viewing this thread