Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

SirShaun

Established Member
Rumor mill has a 20% price drop coming this month as crypto demand fizzles out. Manufacturers sitting on lots of cards, Nvidia may even be stalling the next iteration because of it.
Graphics card prices could drop by 20% thanks to cryptocurrency slump | TechRadar

My 10 year old rig is tired. Just isn't cutting it anymore. Popped on this earlier, can't wait to build it.
NVME: $50 off on Ebay
Case: On Sale Free Shipping
Power Supply: On Sale
GPU: Buddy is letting me get a 1080ti he never used for crypto for $625.

I'm itching for everything to come in.
System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2, Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Ultimately working towards a solid 1440P Ultra-Wide setup. Nothing is really capable of driving 4k on ultra yet. Maybe SLI 1080Tis. I'll be looking to upgrade when 4k ultrawide becomes a thing. Should be rather future proof for now though.

I'm hesitant to de-lid the processor, and apply better thermal paste for overclock. Going to see what the temps are with just some Arctic MX-5 and the EVGA cooler first. Eventually would like to add the EVGA Hybrid cooler to the GPU. Going for a stable 5.0GHz clock on the CPU to start.

Anyone have any recommendations on a Budget Curved 1440P Ultrawide?

Last edited:

mr2cam

Established Member
Rumor mill has a 20% price drop coming this month as crypto demand fizzles out. Manufacturers sitting on lots of cards, Nvidia may even be stalling the next iteration because of it.
Graphics card prices could drop by 20% thanks to cryptocurrency slump | TechRadar

My 10 year old rig is tired. Just isn't cutting it anymore. Popped on this earlier, can't wait to build it.
NVME: $50 off on Ebay
Case: On Sale Free Shipping
Power Supply: On Sale
GPU: Buddy is letting me get a 1080ti he never used for crypto for $625.

I'm itching for everything to come in.
System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2, Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Ultimately working towards a solid 1440P Ultra-Wide setup. Nothing is really capable of driving 4k on ultra yet. Maybe SLI 1080Tis. I'll be looking to upgrade when 4k ultrawide becomes a thing. Should be rather future proof for now though.

I'm hesitant to de-lid the processor, and apply better thermal paste for overclock. Going to see what the temps are with just some Arctic MX-5 and the EVGA cooler first. Eventually would like to add the EVGA Hybrid cooler to the GPU. Going for a stable 5.0GHz clock on the CPU to start.

Anyone have any recommendations on a Budget Curved 1440P Ultrawide?

Great setup, I have the exact same, 8700k and 1080ti, strongly suggest delidding, temps at first seemed ok but after a month the toothpaste they use started to dry up and show its ugly head, dropped about 20 degrees with liquid metal and the spread is so even.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Are there any good prefabs out there without a ton of bloatware? (my experience is HP has been the worst).

I built both my box and my wife's, but hers needs a refresh and I just don't have the time to rebuild it myself. I'd rather just hit NewEgg or Amazon and be done with it.

trendkilllx

Established Member
I just put together a new setup last week, got a great deal on most of the items via the sales on ebay recently. Case was on sale on Newegg. I'm coming from a fx-6300 with a 4.7ghz oc.

AMD 2600x
MSI x470 M7
G.skill 16gb 3200 cl14
Samsung 970 ssd
Fractal R6
reusing gtx 1060 3gb for the time being

Its nice to see the gpu pricing come down. I picked up a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor so I'd like to upgrade to a gpu that will take advantage of it. I'm open to suggestions if someone can point me towards a good card for my setup.

Last edited:

mr2cam

Established Member
I just put together a new setup last week, got a great deal on most of the items via the sales on ebay recently. Case was on sale on Newegg. I'm coming from a fx-6300 with a 4.7ghz oc.

AMD 2600x
MSI x470 M7
G.skill 16gb 3200 cl14
Samsung 970 ssd
Fractal R6
reusing gtx 1060 3gb for the time being

Its nice to see the gpu pricing come down. I picked up a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor so I'd like to upgrade to a gpu that will take advantage of it. I'm open to suggestions if someone can point me towards a good card for my setup.

1070ti or 1080 if you can find them close to retail, either card should work very well with your setup

SirShaun

Established Member
Id wait on buying a video card. At least a couple more weeks, to see what happens as demand slows. Prime day is 5 days away. It'll be interesting to see if manufacturers move for it.

Keep an eye on slickdeals. I found some good deals on there when building out mine.

Pieces started showing up today for me. I might be able to see this thing POST tomorrow.

Ended up going with an ASUS MX34VQ for the Ultrawide. I just couldn't bring myself to pay anymore than that for a monitor. I didn't even want to spend that much.
https://www.monitornerds.com/asus-m...review-versatile-high-end-ultra-wide-monitor/

If anyone thinks they have a 1440p ultawide that is cheaper or similarly priced, which is better, please let me know, I can still send this thing back. It was probably the most stressful part of my build.

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
Great setup, I have the exact same, 8700k and 1080ti, strongly suggest delidding, temps at first seemed ok but after a month the toothpaste they use started to dry up and show its ugly head, dropped about 20 degrees with liquid metal and the spread is so even.

You use a delid tool or go at it with a knife?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Props to anyone brave enough to de-lid a CPU on their own. Especially one reaching north of $400 (or more)!

I sold my setup and am now looking to get into a gaming laptop. Really don't want to spend a ton, but I definitely need portability this time. Anyone have any recommendations?

mr2cam

Established Member
You use a delid tool or go at it with a knife?

Rockitcool delid and relid tool, only way to do it IMO. Not very expesive either, also buy some BG conformal coating to coat the PCB, do 2 coats of it 15 minutes apart before using the liquid metal, that way you insure you wont have any issues

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Props to anyone brave enough to de-lid a CPU on their own. Especially one reaching north of $400 (or more)!

I sold my setup and am now looking to get into a gaming laptop. Really don't want to spend a ton, but I definitely need portability this time. Anyone have any recommendations?

In for recommendations too. The office is going to turn into my son’s room in about a year. So my new battle station will have to be where ever I can sit down and plug in.

Kiohtee

Established Member
In for recommendations too. The office is going to turn into my son’s room in about a year. So my new battle station will have to be where ever I can sit down and plug in.

Obviously anything new with an i5/i7 and 1060 or above will suffice, but I guess I'm looking more for something that is underrated and underappreciated. Lol

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Great Website for those who don't know already Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker
Just built my buddy a pc
System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX, Storm Trooper (Windowed) ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker

I've got the funds to upgrade my CPU and mother board now to get rid of the HUGE bottle neck. However, i get my ass handed to me in PUBG regardless so i cant justify doing it.
What's your steam name?
Also feel free to add me anyone else too Steam Community :: SNAKE PLISSKEN

quad

Established Member

Yes I agree. The difference would barely be noticed imo. Not going through all that effort. My I9 is incredibly stable now. Running Windows 10 Build 1803

Even Adobe Premiere does not crash anymore as it did in the beginning when scrubbing a video. I can go for weeks without rebooting. I mine ethereum on the 1080 ti when the machine is not used for work. Getting an incredible 54-55 mh/s. For reference:

Vega 64 = 44-45 mh/s
1070 ti / 1070 = 32-33 mh/s
RX580 = 31-32 mh/s

The 1080 ti smokes them. I can watch youtube videos, browse websites and use CAD programs ect. while it is mining. But for serious work you have to close the miner.

Users who are viewing this thread