Who is still running the stock clutch?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Im just curious as to how much longer my clutch is going to last, soooo anyone thats around or above the 450hp mark, how is your stock clutch holding up?

Kinda want to know because my mod fund is building, but if i'm going to need another clutch within the next year, then I will hold off.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Depends how you drive. How much you floor the car and how much you slip the clutch. If you putted around, the stock clutch would last and last. I've been checking into clutch prices. Figure around $300 for a Centerforce dual friction, around $400[+/-] for a flywheel, and $35 or so for a throwout bearing.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I drive the car almost every day. I will normally get on it hard once or twice a day. I also downshift quite a bit. I thought it was going the other day, but then adjusted the firewall adjuster, and all seems ok for now.
Ive heard great things about the CF DF. What kind of flywheel do they reccomend with that unit?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Of course CenterForce recommends their own. They have a steel one or a more expensive aluminum. Some guys go with a less expensive different brand. CenterForce suggests replacing the stock aluminum flywheel when you put in their clutch set but I don't know if this is really necessary or if they're just trying to sell flywheels.

FINICKY

Established Member
Stock clutch here also. Still holding with 522 to the wheels and 11.0's . Probablly looks like ass though.

JWC

Established Member
03 KB Cobra with 19 lb pulley and over 16,000 miles on stock clutch. Well I did just today go from the KB 15 to the 19 lb set up and I think I 'll order a CF next week to have....just in case

3GROC

Established Member
I have only over 1000 miles on over 450RWHP

I dont drive it like an animal all the time. take off from a stop light at like 1200 rpm.....

I get on it every now and again but its slipping a clutch that heats it up and kills it. ( I know as I killed my stock SS clutch on my camaro in 21K)

my clutch might last it might not. its cheaper then it would have been for my camaro that is all I Care about

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
14k+ hard miles, modded since 800 miles, 2.80 450hp+ since 1200 miles. 500whp apten for 8 months now.

No problems except when its on a big big sticky ET Streets doing clutch dumps, holds the n20 with no problem on the street and dyno.

I have a spec3 waitin to go in once this starts slippin bad

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Stock clutch and flywheel needed replacing at 16000kms.
Daily driven but stored in the winter time. Driven fairly hard and on Nittos DRs for about 9k.

I got a SPEC 26 spline stage 3i and a steel flywheel along with the 26spl IS. My flywheel was finished and so was the pressure plate. SPEC is awesome. No slippin anymore.

cobra101

Established Member
20k miles plus here. approx. 440rwhp/460rwtq on stock clutch. Seems ok. I am going to try and go for 40k plus before I think about changing it.

Ohh, I run it hard a couple of times a day but do NOT dump the clutch much at all. Usually a light slip or bog from 1500-2000 rpm.

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
450HP/460ft-lb at the wheels, 26K miles and original clutch is still doing its thing even though I've smoked it three or four times, one time with a LOT of smoke/smell (Doh!).

When it's time, I plan on the CF DF.

Users who are viewing this thread