Who makes the toughest wax?

MongoCobra

Established Member
Don't care much about the shine as my Cobra is Ox white, but I find a lot of black marks probably tar. Does anyone know which wax offers the most protection and lasts the longest?

thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are a lot of threads related to auto wax in general. Here's a link for a search done on "auto wax". Take some time to go through the list and I'm sure you'll find some good info to help you out.

Click here for the Auto Wax Search List

Cobra'03

Established Member
Alas, in most cases, toughest and best shine are at odds. Nu-Finish last a long time, but is loaded with silicones, which can make a dark car look silvery rather than deep gloss black. Same thing with Meguiar's #20.

I have found that the acrylic polymer suspension waxes work well, and have deep gloss: this class includes Klassen and Zaino and Liquid Glass.

The carnauba waxes have fine clarity and look great on black and red especially - but need to be done 1/month. Griot's makes a particulary nice to use product.

MongoCobra

Established Member
as always, Cobra'03 you are a wealth of information. What would you suggest for the Oxford White? Sounds like Nu Finish or Meguiar's would fit the bill-especiall for the lazy like me.

thanks

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Zaino lasts longer than anything else.

Meguiars is a great product but definitely needs to be reapplied once per month.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Check out some of the 3M wax it works great and last a long time.....

Orange Poison

Established Member
Blitz Wax.....great stuff, very, very durable. It is pure Carnauba, so you can layer it as much as possible, not like other waxes that have polymers in it.

My dad uses it on his truck and they look awesome all the time. I use P21S....but my car is a garage queen and it does not last long but gives the best shine in the world.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Very few waxes layer at all - it is always about the same coating depth. Think about it - you could put an inch of wax on one spot, when you wipe it off, is it an inch thick? The average wax depth is less than 10 microns.

The acrylics will layer, but the coating is being reduced by wind, abrasion, and washing all the time. You need to re-polish at least 4 times a year to keep the extra shine.

For durability, yes the ones I mentioned before, and the 3M product, are excellent.

No pure carnauba (most are pure BS because they add extra synthetic waxes, beeswax, and silicones to the mix) will last too long - plus, the shine in any wax is obtained by the mineral crystals reflecting - silicone polymers shine like the dickens, but at the expense of depth as mentioned earlier.

Then, there is the issue of cleaning. A car finish is best treated with a cleaner now and then - unless you are using a cleaner/wax like Meguiar's #6, Medfallion, 3M cleaner/wax, etc. Cleaner waxes use light abrasives, petroleum distillates, and other chemistry to lift embedded dirt off the surface, and suspend it above the wax so it can be removed when dry. They also "wet" the finish with petroleum distillate to restore its resiliency and keep it from drying out. But, they cannot be formulated to do as good a job as separate cleaners and waxes (polishes). It is just a chemistry fact of life.

So to answer your question, you should use a cleaner/wax. The ones I mentioned are Meguiar's #6 and #20, 3M, Mothers, etc. They are all decent products. I found the new Zymol cleaner/wax (sold by Blue Coral now?) has so much light abrasive (jeweler's rouge as it is known) that it leaves a ton of white stuff around decals, edges, black trim etc that I cannot use it.

Users who are viewing this thread