Who to tune my pos?

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
They weren't stock plugs they are the BR7s, we put those in a long time ago. Travis tuned the car for the 20lbs on pump gas and told me there would be no issues, I just went by what I was told.
Well I guess you can only do what some people tell you, but 20 psi is a lot of boost for pump gas. When I finish my turbo I'm not going to run more then 15psi on pump gas. That should still get me around the 650rwhp range. I'm surprized you couldn't hear it detonating and pinging out if it was as bad as you say it was.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Well I guess you can only do what some people tell you, but 20 psi is a lot of boost for pump gas. When I finish my turbo I'm not going to run more then 15psi on pump gas. That should still get me around the 650rwhp range. I'm surprized you couldn't hear it detonating and pinging out if it was as bad as you say it was.

That's what I thought too. But his car is LOUD with that ridiculous race bypass valve so I'm not surprised he couldn't hear shit over that. You can hear Donnie's car from blocks away with that bypass, I can't even over exaggerate it enough to tell you how loud it is.

blownaltered

Established Member
That's what I thought too. But his car is LOUD with that ridiculous race bypass valve so I'm not surprised he couldn't hear shit over that. You can hear Donnie's car from blocks away with that bypass, I can't even over exaggerate it enough to tell you how loud it is.

I think that really had something to do with it. You can't hear the motor over that damn thing.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I've heard his car plently of times and it is very loud that is for sure, but there is just something about the feel of a car and how it is performing that you can just tell when something isn't working right. IDK I know my car very well and to the normal person out there they couldn't tell if something was wrong with it just by driving it, but I can. I can feel it in the throttle response, and hear it in the exhaust tone, etc. I've argued with people and told them that something just wasn't right with my car and they all looked at me like I was crazy. Mainly Scott when he use to work up there. He thought I was always full of shit, but I wasn't and I was right everytime. Travis retuned my car about 2 months or so ago because it just wasn't running right, come to fine out the Diablo software wouldn't really work for my car. It wasn't reading the MAF right no matter what he did. So he switched to SCT and got everything perfect on it now. He spent over 4 hours on it that night trying to work out the bugs because my car wasn't being a very big pain in the ass to tune. And it's real funny now that I'm running side by side with Cammed F-bodys that are putting down about 390rwhp and my car is low compression N/A. LOL Gotta love it. Well not everyone can be happy so if he isn't take it to someone who can make him happy.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I think Donnie is that way too, in that he can tell if something is wrong. But on a completely new setup, the car felt different anyway, so he had no baseline to compare.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
When it blew it was making 20lbs of boost(pump gas tune). Two blown headgaskets, (read:stock head gaskets wtf?) 5 cylinders were blown out, stock spark plugs ( should be running two steps colder) at some point the valves came in contact with the pistons.

I went out there with Donnie and Travis didn't really seem interested in helping Donnie with the problem. He admitted the car must have been lean and detonating though. He was nice enough to get Donnie a used wiring harness for the fire GHP started in the engine bay that caight harness completely on fire. The car was taken apart and they found a huge hole in the wiring harness and the whole backside of the bellhousing was scorched and all the wiring was melted.
At Donnies expense, I cant help but laugh... Chris did the same damn thing, "oh no, I want to use Gear Heads, HPP isnt as good this and that) Maybe those words wren't said, but why the hell would you not go to HPP when all the fast Mustangs around on the street are HPP built or tuned or both?:shrug:

Chris learned the hard way when half his suspension almost fell off the car and GH didn't own up to it. Funny that HPP got it fixed and the little fox is bad ass now... hmmm

Donnie has car built at GH, blows up... haha Im sorry, but am I the only one seeing a trend? Red and Manny are the only ones touching my mod motor and it will stay that way.:beer:

Own up Donnie, say you are sorry and you are ready to go fast and not blow up. Manny won't say anything but congradulations.:lol1:

Last edited:

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
Matt what are you talking about? There has been problems at both shops not everyone is perfect at everything. Did Donnies motor blow up or did he just blow a head gasket? There are a bunch of fast cars out there that GHP has built and there is a lot more on the way, but just like any other shop out there it all has to come down to the customer and if he/she wants to dish out the money to build such a car. Building a fast car is not hard at all, it just takes a lot of money. Travis knows his stuff and he can build a bad ass car. Just look at his race car he built. It usually runs mid 7's on a 28x10.5 tire and on the big tires it has ran low 7's in the 1/4.

blownaltered

Established Member
I think Donnie is that way too, in that he can tell if something is wrong. But on a completely new setup, the car felt different anyway, so he had no baseline to compare.

The car hasn't been together long enough for me to get used to the new setup. Hell the new fuel system only had maybe 200 miles on it, motor had around 4k if that and the blower might have 1500 miles on it. Those were mainly highway miles going back and forth to gearheads. Lets not forget it is 120 mile round trip to get there for me.

Thought of something last night that made me wonder, I remember the last time Travis tuned my car he had put a little race gas in the tank. He said he did it for safety but told me I didn't need to run it in there that the tune was safe for pump. I wonder if that could have been the problem, the car might have been a little more on the edge than he thought.

AaronK

Established Member
Go to HPP... I haven't had the greatest luck with gearheads to say the least

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Matt what are you talking about? There has been problems at both shops not everyone is perfect at everything. Did Donnies motor blow up or did he just blow a head gasket? There are a bunch of fast cars out there that GHP has built and there is a lot more on the way, but just like any other shop out there it all has to come down to the customer and if he/she wants to dish out the money to build such a car. Building a fast car is not hard at all, it just takes a lot of money. Travis knows his stuff and he can build a bad ass car. Just look at his race car he built. It usually runs mid 7's on a 28x10.5 tire and on the big tires it has ran low 7's in the 1/4.

Where are the fast street cars? I've never seen or heard of any...:shrug: The two fastest Cobras in Dallas on the streets are both Sonic HPP 03s...

Edit, My point of street car is its a lot harder to build a safe, easy to drive and comfortable 1000+RW street car than it is to build a gutted out doesn't idle for shit and gets 3 mpg race car... The amount of abuse on the "street" is exponentially more abusive on the car than the track. And I am also not talking about faulty parts like your cam gears or Foofs crank, I am talking straight tuning... tuning is just that, if its wrong it blows head gaskets and can torch pistons etc. Breaking parts is just bad luck sometimes.

Last edited:

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
Where are the fast street cars? I've never seen or heard of any...:shrug: The two fastest Cobras in Dallas on the streets are both Sonic HPP 03s...

Edit, My point of street car is its a lot harder to build a safe, easy to drive and comfortable 1000+RW street car than it is to build a gutted out doesn't idle for shit and gets 3 mpg race car... The amount of abuse on the "street" is exponentially more abusive on the car than the track. And I am also not talking about faulty parts like your cam gears or Foofs crank, I am talking straight tuning... tuning is just that, if its wrong it blows head gaskets and can torch pistons etc. Breaking parts is just bad luck sometimes.
I say go which who ever makes you happy. I know Travis knows how to tune a car very well and I'm sure when I get everything finished on mine it will be up there with the fastest street car mustangs in the area, but unlike most of the fast street car mustangs out there I will also be taking mine to the track and getting it done there too. There is one thing to remember though when you are talking about cars making this much hp shit can happen at anytime. Parts break and thats a fact of life. Rebuild it or get out of it. You gotta pay to play.

Last edited:

blownaltered

Established Member
I say go which who ever makes you happy. I know Travis knows how to tune a car very well and I'm sure when I get everything finished on mine it will be up there with the fastest street car mustangs in the area, but unlike most of the fast street car mustangs out there I will also be taking mine to the track and getting it done there too. There is one thing to remember though when you are talking about cars making this much hp shit can happen at anytime. Parts break and thats a fact of life. Rebuild it or get out of it. You gotta pay to play.

Its at a shop getting fixed right now and when its done it will get a fresh tune. When my car broke I told Travis I thought it was a head gasket and the first thing he said was it wasn't my fault. He told me there was nothing that he could have done to cause that so it will cost this amount of money to fix that ( it was supposed to be a hook up price ). I called two different shops and got better prices the next day, without telling them what Travis was charging me. As much money as I have spent there and refered people to them, I can't believe I got delt with like this. I will never send another person to Travis.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Its at a shop getting fixed right now and when its done it will get a fresh tune. When my car broke I told Travis I thought it was a head gasket and the first thing he said was it wasn't my fault. He told me there was nothing that he could have done to cause that so it will cost this amount of money to fix that ( it was supposed to be a hook up price ). I called two different shops and got better prices the next day, without telling them what Travis was charging me. As much money as I have spent there and refered people to them, I can't believe I got delt with like this. I will never send another person to Travis.

Sorry about your bad dealings Donnie, glad you found someone to fix it cheaper and are going to hopefully have Manny tune it. Hope it runs a lot better when you get it done (safer-doesnt blow shit up).:rockon:

blownaltered

Established Member
Sorry about your bad dealings Donnie, glad you found someone to fix it cheaper and are going to hopefully have Manny tune it. Hope it runs a lot better when you get it done (safer-doesnt blow shit up).:rockon:

I have known the guy fixing the car for about 6 years. He originally put the heads and cams on that car. He just opened his own shop with Kevin Hargett called Extreme Performance. For those who don't know who Kevin is he is a big king of the hill racer. Goes mid to low 4s in a 3k pound car. Manny is more than likely going to be getting the car when she gets put back together. I guess I should have listened to foof's little ass a long time ago. Sorry foof you were right. :bowdown:

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
I have known the guy fixing the car for about 6 years. He originally put the heads and cams on that car. He just opened his own shop with Kevin Hargett called Extreme Performance. For those who don't know who Kevin is he is a big king of the hill racer. Goes mid to low 4s in a 3k pound car. Manny is more than likely going to be getting the car when she gets put back together. I guess I should have listened to foof's little ass a long time ago. Sorry foof you were right. :bowdown:
We all make mistakes bro, I'm just glad yours didn't cost you a new shortblock...

Glad it's getting fixed up, maybe we can run em sometime soon. Your car and my dad's vert would be a close race I think. I have a little weight on you, but more area under curve, and a better suspension... I think it'd be fun as hell!:beer:

4stang6

Established Member
I had my car tuned by GHP too.made good power on only 18 degrees of timing.but im running too much boost as well..damn now this has me all thinking twice about the boost im running.I have a 96 cobra with the stock H/C/I making 20psi out of a D1.
My Car ran out of fuel on the dyno so i had very little timing put into it.took travis a couple of hours to get all the bugs out of it but the damn thing made 520/488 on 18 Degrees of timing at 5200k rpms.
GHP also built my motor.still havent had problems out of it but if it breaks for some odd reason then rebuild it.Like Dan says it PAYS TO PLAY.Shit happens and parts break.
Tuners know their shit HPP/GHP,But they cant control what the parts do.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
We all make mistakes bro, I'm just glad yours didn't cost you a new shortblock...

Glad it's getting fixed up, maybe we can run em sometime soon. Your car and my dad's vert would be a close race I think. I have a little weight on you, but more area under curve, and a better suspension... I think it'd be fun as hell!:beer:

1) Donnie is done racing for awhile. He just wants to enjoy his car for a change instead of abusing once every few months.

2) You don't need to be talkin about racing anyone in Texas, you're in Cali.

3) Race your own cars, not Daddy's. :p

Users who are viewing this thread