Who to tune my pos?

blownaltered

Established Member
Ladies and Gentleman my car is going to be back up and running here in the next couple weeks and I have a problem. My motor ended up having the head gaskets blown apart at 5 cylinders, yes I did say 5. Now the heads are being milled as we speak to fix them, luckily the pistons were ok. The car was detinating hard to cause this kind of damage. I am going to turn the boost down on the car, to around 17lbs ( putting a stock lower back on the car ). I need to get a good safe tune in the car, don't need to be spending anymore damn money on the car right now. Just want to make it safe and have a good time with it, the car will not go back to GHP for the tune. Who would you take it to if it was you?

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Ladies and Gentleman my car is going to be back up and running here in the next couple weeks and I have a problem. My motor ended up having the head gaskets blown apart at 5 cylinders, yes I did say 5. Now the heads are being milled as we speak to fix them, luckily the pistons were ok. The car was detinating hard to cause this kind of damage. I am going to turn the boost down on the car, to around 17lbs ( putting a stock lower back on the car ). I need to get a good safe tune in the car, don't need to be spending anymore damn money on the car right now. Just want to make it safe and have a good time with it, the car will not go back to GHP for the tune. Who would you take it to if it was you?

Suck it up and call Manny. :thumbsup:

blownaltered

Established Member
Suck it up and call Manny. :thumbsup:

I know its damn hard to admit I was wrong. What the hell do I say, you were right I was wrong? If they can forgive you they should forgive anybody but I still have this vision of Ozzie setting my car on fire and doing a happy dance around it on the internet. :dancenana:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I know its damn hard to admit I was wrong. What the hell do I say, you were right I was wrong? If they can forgive you they should forgive anybody but I still have this vision of Ozzie setting my car on fire and doing a happy dance around it on the internet. :dancenana:

Well look at is this way, if he does set it on fire right now, it would be in the same condition it is now - unable to move under it's own power but at least you wil get a check back for it. :lol:

blownaltered

Established Member
Well look at is this way, if he does set it on fire right now, it would be in the same condition it is now - unable to move under it's own power but at least you wil get a check back for it. :lol:

The check part sounds nice and the car is used to being on fire.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I guess the main question is what did GHP tell you when you had them tune the car....did they say this was a safe tune for pumpgas etc? As we all know, anything can happen with these cars once you get highly modified unfortunately. Regardless, they should not have given you a tune that was unsafe for a street application (i'm sure they didn't do that intentionally). I know you said you didn't know what the A/F was etc..do you know how much timing they had in it? Your bottom end is build right? I know you have plenty of fuel. Seeing as how your boost should remain constant, that's the only thing it could have been. If you've lost your faith in GHP, then I would take it up to HPP and let Manny tune it and tell him you want a conservative street tune ..ie low timing and high 10.x a/f (if it as me).

blownaltered

Established Member
I guess the main question is what did GHP tell you when you had them tune the car....did they say this was a safe tune for pumpgas etc? As we all know, anything can happen with these cars once you get highly modified unfortunately. Regardless, they should not have given you a tune that was unsafe for a street application (i'm sure they didn't do that intentionally). I know you said you didn't know what the A/F was etc..do you know how much timing they had in it? Your bottom end is build right? I know you have plenty of fuel. Seeing as how your boost should remain constant, that's the only thing it could have been. If you've lost your faith in GHP, then I would take it up to HPP and let Manny tune it and tell him you want a conservative street tune ..ie low timing and high 10.x a/f (if it as me).

The car a/f on the dyno was right at about 11.5, nothing extreme and never ran over 6k. The timing was supposed to be around 15 degrees, but since I don't know how to check that I'm going off what I was told by Travis. I have never had the car over 6k since I got it back. Matter of fact the car had only gone wide open throttle a hand full of times. My wideband was not working when the motor let go so I can not say what the a/f was the day she blew the gaskets.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
The car a/f on the dyno was right at about 11.5, nothing extreme and never ran over 6k. The timing was supposed to be around 15 degrees, but since I don't know how to check that I'm going off what I was told by Travis. I have never had the car over 6k since I got it back. Matter of fact the car had only gone wide open throttle a hand full of times. My wideband was not working when the motor let go so I can not say what the a/f was the day she blew the gaskets.

How much boost were you running? I saw where you said you were going to drop it to 17psi. Hell even that much boost with an F1 on pump gas is a shit load. If you had more then that in there it could detinate very easy running pump gas. Travis knows his stuff when it comes to tuning, I have seen him tune many high hp cars an no problems have occured. I know you were having fuel issues before they plumped in the return style system. You think it could have hurt it back then and it just finially let go? Personally I would talk to Travis and see what he has to say about it, and let him have another try at it. He is about to tune my car once I finishing fabricating all the turbo parts. My car is going to make close to 800rwhp and I have no problem letting him tune the car. Hopefully I'll have it all done by September. Anything can happen at anytime when you start messing with cars making this much hp. That is just part of the game and sometimes shit just happens and it sucks. My last motor I put together I ran for 200 miles on it and a cam sprocket broke causing the small timing chain to break causing the intake valves on the passenger side head to hit the pistons bending them. I had to pull the motor back out, pull the head off put all new intake valves in, all new timing chains and cam sprokets. Yeah it was a pain in the ass, and that was no one's fault shit just happend. Give him another shot and see what he saids about it..

Daniel

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
How much boost were you running? I saw where you said you were going to drop it to 17psi. Hell even that much boost with an F1 on pump gas is a shit load. If you had more then that in there it could detinate very easy running pump gas. Travis knows his stuff when it comes to tuning, I have seen him tune many high hp cars an no problems have occured. I know you were having fuel issues before they plumped in the return style system. You think it could have hurt it back then and it just finially let go? Personally I would talk to Travis and see what he has to say about it, and let him have another try at it. He is about to tune my car once I finishing fabricating all the turbo parts. My car is going to make close to 800rwhp and I have no problem letting him tune the car. Hopefully I'll have it all done by September. Anything can happen at anytime when you start messing with cars making this much hp. That is just part of the game and sometimes shit just happens and it sucks. My last motor I put together I ran for 200 miles on it and a cam sprocket broke causing the small timing chain to break causing the intake valves on the passenger side head to hit the pistons bending them. I had to pull the motor back out, pull the head off put all new intake valves in, all new timing chains and cam sprokets. Yeah it was a pain in the ass, and that was no one's fault shit just happend. Give him another shot and see what he saids about it..

Daniel

When it blew it was making 20lbs of boost(pump gas tune). Two blown headgaskets, (read:stock head gaskets wtf?) 5 cylinders were blown out, stock spark plugs ( should be running two steps colder) at some point the valves came in contact with the pistons.

I went out there with Donnie and Travis didn't really seem interested in helping Donnie with the problem. He admitted the car must have been lean and detonating though. He was nice enough to get Donnie a used wiring harness for the fire GHP started in the engine bay that caight harness completely on fire. The car was taken apart and they found a huge hole in the wiring harness and the whole backside of the bellhousing was scorched and all the wiring was melted.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Mike no longer works for DMP, he left Monday.

I was up at dallas mustangs today helping my friend work on his truck...that place is a ****ing JOKE. Mike wilson was supposed to tune my friends truck thats been up there 8 months and just walks out monday...Dallas mustangs and mike wilson are a joke. All they do is sell parts at Dallas Mustangs

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member

If they don't have any beef with me, I don't think you'll have a problem.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
When it blew it was making 20lbs of boost(pump gas tune). Two blown headgaskets, (read:stock head gaskets wtf?) 5 cylinders were blown out, stock spark plugs ( should be running two steps colder) at some point the valves came in contact with the pistons.

I went out there with Donnie and Travis didn't really seem interested in helping Donnie with the problem. He admitted the car must have been lean and detonating though. He was nice enough to get Donnie a used wiring harness for the fire GHP started in the engine bay that caight harness completely on fire. The car was taken apart and they found a huge hole in the wiring harness and the whole backside of the bellhousing was scorched and all the wiring was melted.
20psi on pump gas with an F1 damn... There is no way I would run that much boost on pump gas. What caused the fire to start? Stock plugs? Which plugs where in it? I would have had either BR7EF's or 8's in it. What were they 55's or something? Well I can def. see why it would be detonating if that was the case.

blownaltered

Established Member
20psi on pump gas with an F1 damn... There is no way I would run that much boost on pump gas. What caused the fire to start? Stock plugs? Which plugs where in it? I would have had either BR7EF's or 8's in it. What were they 55's or something? Well I can def. see why it would be detonating if that was the case.

They weren't stock plugs they are the BR7s, we put those in a long time ago. Travis tuned the car for the 20lbs on pump gas and told me there would be no issues, I just went by what I was told.

Users who are viewing this thread