Who's car was built on 3.9.2004? Got front end noise?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Just curious, met someone with another 04 built on the same day as me and build #3166 compared to my #3155.. Oddly enough, we both have the same mysterious front end noise. I know several ppl have had this noise but we both have replaced the rack bushings, she used the offset aluminum, i opted for the newer (supposedly fixed) Ford replacement rubber bushings. Both of us still have front end noise. Mine is probably worse, im to the point of thinking about changing out the full steering rack with tie rod ends entact as well as both struts and all the bushings associated with each!

Just wondering if the cars built on this day had this problem more-so than all the other cobras. Those of you that have not experience this, go drink a beer and consider yourself one lucky SOB! :beer:

So lets hear it, anymore 3.09.2004 members on here? Had that issue too?

For the rest, if you can relate im open to your suggestions!

Thanks!

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
There are a couple of things that struck me when reading your post above. First you say that another owner replaced the stock rack bushings in her car with offset aluminum replacements. This is taken straight off of Maximum Motorsports website:

We don't recommend offset rack bushings for stock K-Members...

Offset steering rack bushings move the rack far too much on stock K-Members, and make an acceptable situation far worse than if you had done nothing at all.

I don't know if her car is still running the stock K-member, but odds are it is. This could be contributing to or is entirely the cause of her issues. :shrug:

As for your car, all of the Ford replacement rack bushings are junk, all of them. Period. I replaced my factory bushings (at that time my car only had 8K miles on it) with another set of Ford rubber bushings and new sleeves. It took those replacement parts 6 months to start making noise. Then I went with Maximum Motorsports solid aluminum bushings designed to be used with the factory K-member and haven't had an issue since.:beer:

moot09

Established Member
mine was born in 02 and has that same noise. Just havent gotten around to replacing the bushings yet

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There are a couple of things that struck me when reading your post above. First you say that another owner replaced the stock rack bushings in her car with offset aluminum replacements. This is taken straight off of Maximum Motorsports website:

I don't know if her car is still running the stock K-member, but odds are it is. This could be contributing to or is entirely the cause of her issues. :shrug:

As for your car, all of the Ford replacement rack bushings are junk, all of them. Period. I replaced my factory bushings (at that time my car only had 8K miles on it) with another set of Ford rubber bushings and new sleeves. It took those replacement parts 6 months to start making noise. Then I went with Maximum Motorsports solid aluminum bushings designed to be used with the factory K-member and haven't had an issue since.:beer:

THIS!

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the production date. They all suck.:bored:

Non-offset MM Aluminum rack bushings here also. Problem solved. I have heard an occasional creak but I hadn't been well enough to go under the car to re-torque them. I check everything before each track event anyway, I'll get to it then.

Vast improvement in feel and far less mid corner sawing at the wheel.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
thanks for the help guys, i cant be certain she has the offset ones, so i may be incorrect in saying that. I will pass on the info though just to be safe. I knew it was a widespread issu, just wondered if the runs on the same day ALL had that problem.

I will look into those bushings from MM but i think there is more to go with mine. I hear it when im going straight, so its not just in cornering..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jimmy gave the best info and advice. And yes, it's a widespread issue and has nothing to do with a specific build day/week.

Users who are viewing this thread