Who's getting the S8 or S8+?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have a Samsung G5 and it is slow! Pretty much worthless for internet usage so I use it for calls and text. Camera still sucks. However I have Verizon and there service in my area is terrible. I am looking for an alternative but whatever service and phone I buy will be unlocked so I can switch providers if I need to

The Galaxy S5 was one of the worst when it came to touch wiz and bloat. Its gotten much better since then, but touchwiz is still there.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I have a Samsung G5 and it is slow! Pretty much worthless for internet usage so I use it for calls and text. Camera still sucks. However I have Verizon and there service in my area is terrible. I am looking for an alternative but whatever service and phone I buy will be unlocked so I can switch providers if I need to

I hear this often from friends who roll Samsung, which is why I am always confused how they do so well in market share. Seems like they have smaller batteries, are easier to break by far and have a built in death date. Never seen this on my Moto stuff.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I hear this often from friends who roll Samsung, which is why I am always confused how they do so well in market share. Seems like they have smaller batteries, are easier to break by far and have a built in death date. Never seen this on my Moto stuff.

They definitely have branding/marketing down. Their phones come with impressive hardware, but touchwiz kills it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
i like my S7 and i doubt i'll upgrade anytime soon. They even had a major update last night im getting used to
I just got my S7 Edge a few month ago and so far it blows my old S6 Edge out of the water. The last major update they did is really pissing me off though with the adjustments they made to the touch inputs for the keyboard. It makes so many more mistakes when I type now that it takes me twice as long.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stateguy

Established Member
Has pricing been released? Hard to jump on board at the speculated 1000$ price. At least iPhones have a greater resell value at the end of two years. Everyone seems to pay full price on these instead of being subsidized.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Has pricing been released? Hard to jump on board at the speculated 1000$ price. At least iPhones have a greater resell value at the end of two years. Everyone seems to pay full price on these instead of being subsidized.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Does any carrier subsidize phone prices any more?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Funny, I was reading this thread and up pops the first Samsung S8 commercial I've seen. I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 7, but I'm always interested in comparing the 'S' series and the iPhone. I'll probably go with the iPhone 8, but it's not a definite. I'd like to learn more about the S8 first.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I had an SG2 for years, then went to an SG5 that I've had for years with very little complaints. However, I dropped it one time without a case from a substantial height and it landed right on the bottom edge on a less than forgiving surface, damaging the microphone, so now I either have to yell in to it (which is not an option) or use the headphones that came with it. I don't mind using the headphones so whatever. Don't need a new phone but I wouldn't turn down a Note8

The thing I hate about phones, regardless of brand or carrier, is that you have limited access to your phone (while the carriers, NSA, CIA, FBI.... have total access haha). Can't remove the apps that come with the phone, etc...

I know this can be solved with jail-breaking/rooting the phone, but I'd be too worried to brick a $600 phone...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pre-ordered the S8+.

$385 up front on a business plan, no monthly charge.

nickf2005

Established Member
I've had a S4 and now a S6 Active, so I'm kind of on an "every other" cadence with phones. However, with the way they have stretched out the payments on these phones, I'm not sure I'll get an 8.

IF I do, it'll be once they release an active version. Usually, that means a bit more rugged of a shell and larger battery. I'm not necessarily hard on phones, but I do a lot of outside work on the weekends (keeping up with 7+ acres), and the peace of mind is nice to have. EDIT: And before anyone can say, "Just get an Otterbox!"... I wear dress pants for my day job, and an Otterbox does not bode well with those.

My wife is still on my old S4, so a scenario could play out that I get the S8 Active and she takes my S6 Active. She doesn't really care about phones though, so it may not happen. I would hope the S8 Active gets expandable memory though... that's my only complaint on my S6 Active.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I would hope the S8 Active gets expandable memory though... that's my only complaint on my S6 Active.

The 6 doesn't have a mini sd card slot? Wow, what about the 7? I thought that was a huge selling point for droid/galaxies over the iphone since the beginning

nickf2005

Established Member
The 6 doesn't have a mini sd card slot? Wow, what about the 7? I thought that was a huge selling point for droid/galaxies over the iphone since the beginning

The S6 line had no expandable memory. That returned in the S7 line. I'd assume it'd continue in the S8.

olympic

Established Member
I pre-ordered an S8+ and can pick it up on Apr 21. I have big thumbs so a larger screen is always welcome. I'm still rocking an HTC 1 M8, works perfect and I really like it but the battery life has dropped quite a bit so it's time for an upgrade!

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
we have three lines on a 8gb plan, and get 4 gb free.. my bill dropped around $70 a month to upgrade two phones.. the third phone is for my oldest son and he will only get our old phones..
I dont want to get rid of unlimited data right now. Just looking at my usage online, i average 27.3GB a month right now. I'm very seldom on wifi.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
According to Forbes, the S8 supports microSD cards (up to 256GB).

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
According to Forbes, the S8 supports microSD cards (up to 256GB).

Correct. There's some kind of "limited edition package" you can buy when the phone comes in. It's $99 and comes with AKG over-ear Bluetooth headphones and a 256GB memory card.

I'm very happy to be in this phone for less than $500 (including the package when I pick it up).

Users who are viewing this thread