Who's got an external satellite radio in theur Mustang?

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I'm doing research on installing my Sirius Sportster 5 in my Cobra. I use it in my truck all the time, and I just scored a second vehicle mount kit. The thing is, I don't want to do the window suction cup mount or the vent clip setup, because it looks kinda retarded. I also don't want to do the whole wiring harness/module/who-knows-what setup because of the cost, complexity and the fact that I would need a second subscription.

I did find this:
Vehicle Specific Mount
EDIT: I just found another mount:
Pro Clip

The first one looks simpler, but I'm not sure I like how close it is to the steering wheel. The second one is a multi-piece arrangement that can be easily removed.

Anybody using either one of these? I emailed the first one to find out if it is compatible with Sirius radios, because it specifies XM on that page. Is there anything similar out there that I haven't found that might do the job?

If you're running Sirius or XM, I'd sure like to see a pic of what your setup is.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I'm using Sirius Starmate 4 with the included clip in the left center vent. I have the antenna in the trunk water drain so its hidden but still works. I'm not sure if its the best for a daily driver, but for the little I drive mine, I've been fine. Not sure on the items in question though.

RoadRash

Established Member
Got any pics of your setup? How solid is the vent clip? I've also read that putting the antenna under the wiper cowl works, and it's completely hidden.

I think you need line of sight to the sat. Confirm by putting your hand over the antenna and the radio will cut out. I have my antenna just outside of the trunk on the side (vert) and the ant. line runs under the trim in the trunk lid. On a coupe, I would put it on the roof like most factory setups.

I like the pro-fit bracket. I think it will be fine to the left of the center console. I think the vent one sucks and blocks a vent. I currently have the wires hidden and coming out of the top of the console and into the suction cup mount. It looks ok but I would rather get that first mount you mentioned.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
From what I've read, it isn't line of sight, but you can't have any metal between the antenna and the sky. People have them under fiberglass hoods, and like Nutty 5.0 under a plastic trunk lid. The flimsy wiper cowl shouldn't block the signal. I'll try it and if it doesn't work I'll put it somewhere exposed.

RoadRash

Established Member
From what I've read, it isn't line of sight, but you can't have any metal between the antenna and the sky. People have them under fiberglass hoods, and like Nutty 5.0 under a plastic trunk lid. The flimsy wiper cowl shouldn't block the signal. I'll try it and if it doesn't work I'll put it somewhere exposed.

Hmmm .. well there isnt any metal in my hand .. try the test yourself. But if the cowl works, then I'm all for it! I hate having it out on the car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know you can buy a very low profile antenna for GPS units. I wouldn't think they'd be available for satellite radio, too. But I would one of those who honestly wouldn't want to add any kind of antenna to the Cobra's exterior. I did have a satellite radio hooked up in my 2002 Infiniti SUV and never had to use an external antenna. I believe it used the vehicle's radio antenna.

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
Here is my setup. All the wires are run through the center right ac register and behind the console. The power cord is also behind the ac vent and under the center console. I just leave it in the center ac 12 volt receptacle. It 's out of sight and looks clean w/ no clutter. As far as the satellite antenna, I stuck the "loop" side of the vecro on there and it sticks to the carpet just fine & ran it into the back of the factory radio. No issues w/ reception. Sucks though in the summer not having the ac vent.

Cell phone pics. . .

satrad2.jpg

satrad1.jpg

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I don't have pics, but is like above except the antenna. You need a line of sight but it works through windows, plastic, and fiberglass. For example, in a metal lined building or any building, the antenna won't work. I've had mine under the decklid for over two years and works like its on the roof.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I had a controller that connected to a pioneer in dash, but I just ran my antenna up the weather stripping in the corner right above the windshield on the drivers side. It picked up fine, even though it wasn't in the center of a panel as recommended .

Users who are viewing this thread