Who's still on their Stock Clutch?

BADBOLT2

Established Member
I've got 14k miles on mine,although it hasn't been Modded to this level for all of that time.
It seems to be holding up o.k. and i'm told they will take alot of abuse,but after 5-6 hard launches on ET Streets it was "stankin'" a bit...
If it's not noticably slipping is there any advantage to upgrading until it does?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Put your car in 4th at about 30-40 mph or so and punch it. If the RPMs slowly climb, your clutch is fine. If they jump up quickly, the clutch is slipping. Why replace it if you don't have to? The time will come soon enough.

I have 16,000 miles and a failing TOB [3rd time]. When I bring the car in to get that fixed, I'll ask them to see how much life is left in the clutch since they will already have the trans out. If it's fine, I'll leave it. If it's nearing the end of its usefulness, I'll replace it with aftermarket and save something on labor costs.

Last edited:

OATS

Established Member
I am still on the stock clutch at just over 6K. That's not a lot of miles, but the car has about 70 quarter mile passes on it. It has went 11.33 on a 1.69 60-ft. No sign of slippage yet.

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
20,400 still holding strong. 3/4 of those miles were with 460RWHP and 489RWTQ and the other 1/4 with 430RWHP and 397RWTQ.

03snakerush

Established Member
A little over 14,000 miles and seems ok. Clutch does engage slightly more to the top of pedal travel though, maybe time for a aftermarket adjuster????

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
David, if you're only occasionally racing at the track then the stock clutch should be fine. If slippage becomes an issue then you'll want to consider a heavier duty clutch. Enjoying "my" (past tense) Cobra in that warm Arizona sun while I'm shivering with an outside temp of just about freezing? LOL!

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
17,500 on stock clutch. Only about a dozen 1/4 mile passes on it. Seems to get pretty weak after sitting in traffic for a little bit. Gets hard to shift after being in traffic for more than 15-20 minutes. I can smell it from time to time, but seems to be ok when I'm not in traffic. I would hate for this thing to be going out already. Thinking about a quadrant/adjuster in the near future.

BADBOLT2

Established Member
Hey Bob!
It's been a little cooler here also,highs are in the 60-70's,but in the 40's @ nite.
-The car loves the cold,even with the huge Nittos I can roast 'em at will even in 2nd gear at 35-40mph!
I also tried the 4th gear 30mph test and it still feels strong.

I guess after 5-6 hard passes the stinky clutch smell kinda scared me.

Juiced-03

Established Member
36,400 on stock clutch. Pullied since 5,000 miles. Still grabs like brand new, but no track runs. Plenty of smokey burnouts though :D

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
30,000 miles on the stock clutch, but since my trans ate itself under warranty, I'm having them put a new one in as long as things are apart. It doesnt need replacing, I'm simply doing some preventative maintenance while the car is disassembled.

i8u

Established Member
14k on first clutch when pressure plate failed......37k now and going strong...... :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread