Why all the Cobras F/S?

phatfunk

Established Member
I was just browsing through AutoTrader.com checking out how much used Mach 1's/ 01 Cobras were going for these days and I couldn't help but notice all the Cobras for sale, especially 03/04 models. What gives? Has anyone here recently sold their's off or in the process of doing so?

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Attempting to sell mine because of education. I'm seeing it's pretty fruitless because it's a buyer's market. Pretty grim for sellers.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I noticed the same things w/ Lightnings. I just bought an '02 black L w/ 13k mi. for $20k even. Deals are getting better by the day!

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Well, in theory, when the '05 GT comes out, the value of all the new edges will tank. People maybe forseeing that and trying to get out of their cars while they still can... Although, I'm giving people too much credit.:p

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
not necessarily beau, i looked at autotrader just now and saw two 03 verts for under 27k

or you could just fly out to get the car, which is what i plan on doing when i save up some cash

UCBeau

Originally posted by 97 svt cbra
not necessarily beau, i looked at autotrader just now and saw two 03 verts for under 27k

or you could just fly out to get the car, which is what i plan on doing when i save up some cash
well i've seen east coast cars for 22.9 and up.....so theres a big diff. but personally i'm fine flying within a days drive to find a good car and then taking it home. :)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I think it has to do with the TOY factor. It's like buying boats or jetski's.

Many people just went out and bought one for "cruising around." Then realized, "hey I'm paying a fortune for this toy."

If you're seeing a lot of low mileage ones that's the main reason.

TnPaulMan

Banned
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
Well, in theory, when the '05 GT comes out, the value of all the new edges will tank. People maybe forseeing that and trying to get out of their cars while they still can... Although, I'm giving people too much credit.:p

I hope you are correct for my sake. I am buying a 99 or 01 for sure in the spring and if that holds true, I should be able to get a helluva deal. It is a buyers market and that is good for me. But then again, I won't sell the thing once I get it. I am gonna drive the piss out of it.

BTW, do you guys think it is a good idea getting a higher milage Cobra just to make sure all the kinks have worked themselves out? I was thinking around 50K to make sure all the oil rings are still in there and haven't blown up the motors.

Paul

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
people are really freakin' on gas prices. :eek:

Try to wait it out and gas prices will come down if we're lucky. That's my strategery. :bored:

bchisom99

Established Member
TnPaulMan,
I just bought a 98 Cobra with 49K on the clock when I got it in July, almost 58K now, I drive the CRAP out of it daily and I haven't had a single problem to date. Normal stuff like rattles in the doors, but other than that nothing....knock on wood

It will probably get detailed, covered and parked in 2 or 3 weeks when the weather starts to turn here in Oh and the taurus will come back out....damn I need to trade that in for a CSVT

Mine had a new clutch put in by the dealer and new tires also....it does burn oil like a mo-fo, but someone I met that worked at SVT told me that is pretty normal for these....

I would consider an '05 GT, but to be perfectly honest I don't reallly care for the 'smoothness' of new 'muscle' cars.

tvguy

I don't think you're seeing anymore 03/04 Cobras being sold used than any other car. Look at C5's on Autotrader. Or Mercedes. Or BMW's. And on and on. Being one that is about to put my 03 Cobra on the market, I can tell you why:
I never thought I'd sell my car. I love it. It's fun for the obvious reasons. However after buying it in Feb 03, I've only put 8300 miles on it. Most of the milage was right after I purchased it. I don't drive it at all lately. And now I'm moving to downtown San Diego in a month or so and will be living in the same complex as my office. I will put ZERO miles on it after that. No reason to as everything I need will be in walking distance. It's bad enough I don't drive it much now as my office is only 10 miles away, and at best I get into boost on the onramp for a second or two, only to slow for traffic. And to top it off, I'm starting a business in Florida. For the business loan, it helps a bunch that I don't have this car and the loan on my credit. Just something (the business venture) that came up. I never expected it, but can't pass it up. Sometimes life can make you sell a car. Priorities. I'm in no rush, but will be selling it soon. Life and it's curves make it so. I'm sure like many others.
pacotaco

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
These cars have been out for 2 years now, you are going to see more and more for sale. People are selling them off for something new. Plus most people I see with them don't use them as daily drivers. Rarely put any miles on them, which would be a waste of money. Then you have the gas prices now which aren't helping things out too much either.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you by a Cobra or Lightning for gas mileage, you should be pimp slapped by Richie.

IDAREU

Banned
Two reasons I traded mine.

1. It just sat way too much. It was paid for and I just did not drive it much this summer because of the poor weather.

2. I know that everytime a new redesign model comes out the resale always sees a rapid decline. I got $27k for my vert and with the tax savings that was like $29,300. I highly doubt anyone could sell a mint 3300 mile vert for more than $29k anymore. I have seen them as low as $25k with miles in the upper teens.

I do want another 03/04 but I need to buy it at a price that justifies having it sit alot. Within two years I figure you will see 03's sell for low to mid teens because of how awesome the 07 Cobra will be.

It seems to me another reason some people are selling is because of problems with the quality of their cars.

Users who are viewing this thread