Why all the out cry over Street Racing?

cbj5259

Established Member
It's clear from this thread that my job will be safe at least until I'm ready to retire.

...and yes I have a sports car, not for the ability to go fast but because the minute I bought it my penis got 3 inches bigger.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

o2gt

Established Member
Something being illegal or not has zero to do with it being right or wrong.
I will agree that it's not always the case. But say that legality and morality of certain actions have nothing in common is a silly statement. There is often a correlation to actions that are deemed right or wrong (morality) and a legal stance that is taken.
It's illegal to own a gun in certian countries...Does that mean any ownership or gun use on those countries is immoral?
No it does not. But street racing is an act not an object. This conversation seems to be U.S focused. You can own a gun but again the use is what is at issue.

What if they outlaw guns? Does that then change the nature of any accidental shooting into a murder?
Well it be would presumable that you would be charge with an unlawful weapons charge. But that's not what we are talking about. It would not change the accidental nature of the act. It would not turn it into murder.
If you make the statement that anything illegal is "wrong" you are allowing government to set morality. I can't think of a worse path to take.

o2gt

Established Member
Something being illegal or not has zero to do with it being right or wrong.
I will agree that it's not always the case. But say that legality and morality of certain actions have nothing in common is a silly statement. There is often a correlation to actions that are deemed right or wrong (morality) and a legal stance that is taken.
It's illegal to own a gun in certian countries...Does that mean any ownership or gun use on those countries is immoral?
No it does not. But street racing is an act not an object. This conversation seems to be U.S focused. You can own a gun but again the use is what is at issue.

What if they outlaw guns? Does that then change the nature of any accidental shooting into a murder?
Well it be would presumable that you would be charge with an unlawful weapons charge. But that's not what we are talking about. It would not change the accidental nature of the act. It would not turn it into murder.
If you make the statement that anything illegal is "wrong" you are allowing government to set morality. I can't think of a worse path to take.

Machdup1

Established Member
This is interesting thread. It clearly demonstrates how a person can justify anything based on nothing more than "I want to do it, therefore it should be allowed".

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
This is interesting thread. It clearly demonstrates how a person can justify anything based on nothing more than "I want to do it, therefore it should be allowed".

But isn't that almost everything ever?

Look at all the macro issues, drugs, abortion, guns, illegal immigration, gay marriage...

The arguments of greater good is totally based around ones own personal interest.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Drunk driving is 100% avoidable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And there are equally heavy consequences for it. Deaths from street racing are 100% avoidable and easily enforceable. Out of all the dofferent traffic related incidents they are probably the easiest to spot as well. By all means race if you want to but you cannot complain about the consequences when you are caught or hurt someone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm still anxiously awaiting for the response to the question of "Why do you have a 390/412/505/etc. horsepower car if you NEVER open it up? And if you do open it up, no matter how briefly, why can you claim to be holier than thou compared to someone who does the same thing, albeit with another willing participant alongside in another car?"

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
And there are equally heavy consequences for it. Deaths from street racing are 100% avoidable and easily enforceable. Out of all the dofferent traffic related incidents they are probably the easiest to spot as well. By all means race if you want to but you cannot complain about the consequences when you are caught or hurt someone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Actually drunk driving should be.

Sit outside bar, pull over everyone leaving and test.

Unfortunately, that is illegal.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
it is a stupid question. When you are street racing your attention is NOT on your car and what is around you, it is on your speedometer and the car next to you and how far ahead / behind him you are. There is a track for that kind of shit. you may not want to drive to it because of distance or fear of failure but tracks is where you go to race others.

Opening your car up on a highway when there is no traffic, your attention is on the car and the road ahead. and every participant in a street race is not a willing participant. you have TWO willing participants, the drivers. but everyone on the road or sidewalk is also a participant and they are not "willing".

I'm still anxiously awaiting for the response to the question of "Why do you have a 390/412/505/etc. horsepower car if you NEVER open it up? And if you do open it up, no matter how briefly, why can you claim to be holier than thou compared to someone who does the same thing, albeit with another willing participant alongside in another car?"

o2gt

Established Member
Actually drunk driving should be.

Sit outside bar, pull over everyone leaving and test.

Unfortunately, that is illegal.
Beyond the constitutional issues with that, its not logistically possible. Drunk driving is a horrible thing that we should do our best to stop. You might be surprised how hard it can be to convict someone of it. lots of juries have a hard time conceiving people of it, its a crime many have done. having a good breath or blood test does not make it a slam-dunk. this does not even factor in the non alcohol related DWI cases.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
it is a stupid question. When you are street racing your attention is NOT on your car and what is around you, it is on your speedometer and the car next to you and how far ahead / behind him you are. There is a track for that kind of shit. you may not want to drive to it because of distance or fear of failure but tracks is where you go to race others.

Opening your car up on a highway when there is no traffic, your attention is on the car and the road ahead. and every participant in a street race is not a willing participant. you have TWO willing participants, the drivers. but everyone on the road or sidewalk is also a participant and they are not "willing".

Uh what?!

Also, have you ever raced on the track?

I'm being serious. I see people all the time go "keep it on the track" but I question if they've ever been to a drag strip.

1. Only certain nights/times are "test and tune" for any old street car.

2. Those nights are often packed. It's hard to get runs in!!!

At US131 I got three passes in at last years Midnight Madness. That is after driving over an hour there, arriving at 8pm and leaving at midnight to drive an hour back. So 1 run for every 2 hours plus my $20 entrance fee.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
No issue with street racing but have an issue when uninvolved parties are involved.

I think of you want to go to an area not populated and make a hit have at it. But do it around my family and not cool.

I couldn't imagine killing a child or family because of street racing.

I agree though, cell phones are far more dangerous than hotrods

Kiohtee

Established Member

How did I know your argument would assume the exact factors that everybody here agrees is retarded and utterly dangerous? None of us condone street racing around otherwise innocent bystanders. Period. That's the whole argument of time and place. If a mistake is made and a life other than one of the street racers is taken, you were doing it wrong in the first place and should have the book thrown at you. No excuses, no sympathy, except for the loss of innocent life.

The basic rules to street racing to eliminate the possibilities of external casualties is as follows: clear line of sight; no on ramps between start and finish; night time setting; warm(er) weather.

• If you are street racing and come up on a blind curve, you're doing it wrong.
  • If you are street racing and come up on another car, you're doing it wrong.
  • If you are street racing and it is the middle of day, regardless of traffic, you're doing it wrong.
  • If you are street racing and it is 40 degrees out, you're doing it wrong. Unless you drive a bolt-on Civic or something.
Maybe I'm a loner here, but when I was doing such activities, my eyes weren't anywhere but the road ahead and an occasional glance to the side to get an idea where my opponent was. It doesn't take a great deal of time or movement to do this, and could save you from being side swiped by a non-driving idiot. But again, you were doing it wrong if that were the case.

I'd also like to add that speeds in excess of 150MPH is just ridiculous and altogether pointless. I've always capped my races at what my car(s) traps at the track. If it's too close to call it's too close to call and I'll gladly take the loss. But my car was a mid 130MPH car in the 1/4, so it took less than 10 seconds to race from start to shutdown, assuming a 40-60MPH start.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Uh what?!

I'm being serious. I see people all the time go "keep it on the track" but I question if they've ever been to a drag strip.

At US131 I got three passes in at last years Midnight Madness. That is after driving over an hour there, arriving at 8pm and leaving at midnight to drive an hour back. So 1 run for every 2 hours plus my $20 entrance fee.

I honestly don't think RDJ has ever been to a dragstrip as a participant. If so, he'd know just how un-enjoyable it really is for a true street car. Meaning suspension that doesn't throw you around or pound your head on the roof, tires you won't have to pull off to the side of the road in the instance of an unexpected shower, etc.

My 2011 GT was built for the track. One piece aluminum driveshaft, built rear, spool, drag radials, etc. I still found myself making more street passes than track passes, just because of distance, track crowd, etc.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I think what I wrote was pretty clear. and yes I have been to both drag and road course tracks. yes they are crowded but that is where racing belongs. no shits given otherwise.

Uh what?!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Makes you the ignorant one I guess then. my 95 had just the basic mods that everyone does to their Cobra, when I had the suspension done I had them set it up for street/track use. easy to do while you are doing other shit to the car. It's call planning. you people should try it sometime.

I honestly don't think RDJ has ever been to a dragstrip as a participant. If so, he'd know just how un-enjoyable it really is for a true street car. Meaning suspension that doesn't throw you around or pound your head on the roof, tires you won't have to pull off to the side of the road in the instance of an unexpected shower, etc.

My 2011 GT was built for the track. One piece aluminum driveshaft, built rear, spool, drag radials, etc. I still found myself making more street passes than track passes, just because of distance, track crowd, etc.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Makes you the ignorant one I guess then. my 95 had just the basic mods that everyone does to their Cobra, when I had the suspension done I had them set it up for street/track use. easy to do while you are doing other shit to the car. It's call planning. you people should try it sometime.

Just so you're aware, a "basic mod" '95 (GT/Cobra since they're essentially the same) is much easier to plant power with opposed to a 600rwhp 5.0. Lmao

Try going to the track with some power next time, on a stock suspension, and see how close you come to losing your shit.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have said for years that anyone who adds that kind of power on a stock suspension is just ****ing stupid. adding power is a bullshit waste of money if you can't put it to the ground and actually use it. so IF you "went to a track with some power, and a stock suspension" your ignorance in this thread is proven complete. There is nothing dumber. But then in general, mustang owners are pretty dumb because they do this kind of shit all the damn time.

Just so you're aware, a "basic mod" '95 (GT/Cobra since they're essentially the same) is much easier to plant power with opposed to a 600rwhp 5.0. Lmao

Try going to the track with some power next time, on a stock suspension, and see how close you come to losing your shit.

Users who are viewing this thread