Why are GT500 Rods Weaker? What is with all of the BS Posting?

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
I keep reading in posts in various threads where people state that "the rods are weak", "motors have had rod failures", "they put the week L-rods in these motors", "Ford made the motors weaker to prevent modding", one guy stated "he will upgrade to H-Beam rods in th future", "will not put on blower pulley because of rod failure fear" and my favorite is the Terminator guys down playing these motors stating Ford cut corners from the GT 5.4 H-Beam motor.

OK here is what I see:

4340 Forged Steel I-Beam Cracked Cap Rods. I'm not a rocket scientist, but doesn't that mean that the rod is forged as on piece with the molecular structure of the steel lined up and then the cap is seperated. This process makes for a stronger part.

Manley 4340 I-beam Rods are rated for 750hp to 8500rpms. And they cost $1315

Manley 4340 H-beam Rods (like the ones found in 03-04 Cobras) are rated for 700hp to 8000rpms. And they cost $579

How did Ford cut corners when the rods cost twice as much? Am I missing Something?

Straight from Manley

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i am not sure about the exact rods, but many have been saying cracked forged i beams. they are not as strong as the 03/04 mustang svt rods. they are stronger than the lightning rods.
these rods were holding up until 650 rwhp in thousands of test run by ford. will they last forever at 638rwhp? i would say no. keep at 600 or below for a long life without changing rods.

as for the ford not building these cars to mod, ford found out the hard way with the mustang svt's and lightnings. people are not honest. people will mod the hell out of these cars then when things break they expect ford to pay for it.:bash: i believe thats fraud. ford is protecting itself as best as possible.

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
I just am curious.

SNAKEMAN101 said:
x2 thats why the thread starter's info is incorrect :read:

I am not stating that the rods are Manley. I am not sure who makes them. I was just using the Manley products as reference, with both rods made from 4340, Manley's H-beams are rated lower and cost half of their I-beam counterparts. My friend put forged I-beams in his new long rod 347 stroker motor after his respected machine shop told him they would be better than H-beams(also at an added expense).

The only thing I have seen stated is "Cracked forged steel I-beams" and in my owners manual its says "4340 cracked forged steel I-beam rods"

Where are you guys getting your info? Who makes them? Where are these tests and results?

Only thing I could find close about Mahle Rods and It does not state 4340 or any references to Ford.

I am just interested in this subject and I am looking for some Facts, not hearsay! Can anyone deliver?

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Old topic! I posted that info over a year ago. I'm not going to tell my source because I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I don't want the source to get mad and cut me off! Do a search using my name. I've posted a lot about it. If you think the info is wrong then mod away, but I'm not the only one who got this information.
Cliff notes version: Fairly safe to 600-650 RWHP over that your driving a ticking time bomb.

Tim

1bad04cobra

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Old topic! I posted that info over a year ago. I'm not going to tell my source because I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I don't want the source to get mad and cut me off! Do a search using my name. I've posted a lot about it. If you think the info is wrong then mod away, but I'm not the only one who got this information.
Cliff notes version: Fairly safe to 600-650 RWHP over that your driving a ticking time bomb.

Tim
Someone said 03-04 cobra was good to 650 as well and there are many running well over that.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
As others have said, the GT500 has Mahle, not Manley rods.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
1bad04cobra said:
Someone said 03-04 cobra was good to 650 as well and there are many running well over that.

the 03/04 engines are good up to 600rwhp because of the pistons. meaning the piston will last a long life at power levels below 600. above that number who knows how long they will last? 1k miles? 10k miles?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
the 03/04 engines are good up to 600rwhp because of the pistons. meaning the piston will last a long life at power levels below 600. above that number who knows how long they will last? 1k miles? 10k miles?

+1

1bad04cobra

Established Member
If the shelby does 10.4 in the quarter with stock blower, under 600 whp i think the rods are going to be a non issue.Maybe people should start talking about why this car has a better platform than complaining about the rods:idea:

Mustang Joe

Established Member
Getting back to WildThang's original post...

We've pretty much determined that the GT500 comes with forged cracked Mahle rods. There's an old article in M&SF where Ford engineers claim that the rods in the GT500 are equal in strength to the rods in the Terminators.

So where's the information that disputes this claim? Do we even know the model number of the Mahle rods? Has anyone seen an official rating for them? Going back through previous posts on this subject you see a lot of speculation but no real, hard facts.

marc@kentucky

Established Member
Mustang Joe said:
Getting back to WildThang's original post...

We've pretty much determined that the GT500 comes with forged cracked Mahle rods. There's an old article in M&SF where Ford engineers claim that the rods in the GT500 are equal in strength to the rods in the Terminators.

So where's the information that disputes this claim? Do we even know the model number of the Mahle rods? Has anyone seen an official rating for them? Going back through previous posts on this subject you see a lot of speculation but no real, hard facts.

+1 Facts would be nice, not just "I think they look weaker.."

Fourcam330

Established Member
They are Mahle forged I beams. They are not 4340 and are nothing like the old Manley forged 4340 I beams; which were phased out because they brought 4340 forged Hs out.

eci

Banned
The 1st thing you're missing is the GT500 doesn't use Manley rods at all, it uses Mahle rods and they are not 4340.

Mustang Joe

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
They are not 4340 and are nothing like the old Manley forged 4340 I beams.

Where did you get this information? I'm not saying you're wrong - just wondering where the information can be found.

Users who are viewing this thread