Why are Sony and Microsoft against adding backward capability to their new consoles

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The truth is that they just want you the customer to buy more products. It wouldn't be in their best interest to let their customers continue to enjoy old games, because they would lose money.

this

Thehubster

Established Member
The truth is that they just want you the customer to buy more products. It wouldn't be in their best interest to let their customers continue to enjoy old games, because they would lose money.

This. If they make it backward compatible then customers wouldn't have a reason to get the new one and they would just buy the 360 or ps3 version of the game because it is just cheaper.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

You are on top of capitalism. Young guys seem attracted to the newest electronic gizmo out there. The market hooks them and then directs them to buy into the new systems. It is like a drug and the market is for the fastest and newer product. It also keeps new careers alive. programmers and designers that can deliver, expand production opportunities as well as everything from the guy who makes the commercials to the guy who boxes up the assembly line toys win the day!

Last edited by a moderator:

McRat

Established Member
Shiit, don't get into the software industry.

Porting software between platforms is actually harder than writing from scratch.

The XBone and PS4 are not the same CPU and GPU's. Programs must be "ported" to run on dissimilar chips.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I can't recall the last time I wanted to play a ps2 game. Honestly for me the only time I ever want backwards compatibility is when I am transitioning into a new system and I don't have many games yet.

You obviously don't know good games.

How about ps1?

Find me an RPG made that is as good as Final Fantasy 7

flS/R

Established Member
as long as my copy of soul caliber 2 still works, I am good. It would be nice to have soul caliber 1 as well but i dont have dreamcast :(

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
Why?

Most will keep their old consoles and just hook them up if necessary. Most households will keep a 360/ps3 hooked up In another bedroom whole the next consoles take center stage. My parents house still has my original xbox and ps2 hooked up in the spare bedroom.

You're not gonna get jack shit for a ps3/360 at this point so selling it would be stupid. Just keep them and do the above like most and you can still play your huge library.

I still have my old consoles, both of my ps2s wont read discs,and my original xbox one day just decided to no longer power up.

now yes the ps2's lens can be cleaned with a cotton swap and my xbox could be repaired, OR I could just buy two used consoles for a 100 and have the same thing happen to them month or two later. They are getting old and from my experience not reliable.

Id personally would rather have 1 system for all my ps stuff and 1 microsoft console for all the xbox material. less clutter less wires less stuff sitting around, and I would be willing to pay the extra 100 on both consoles to do so.

Thats just me dreaming. Like stated above, it wont happen most likely

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
I am not an avid gamer, I really only have about 3 games I play consistently, Rock Band with my wife, Forza 4 for about 5 minutes before I get bored again, and Fallout 3. I play Fallout every few months all the way through, and am getting ready to do so again as a "bad" guy, nuking Megaton and all! So I don't really care about backwards compatibility, as I won't pop for a new system until, or IF, Fallout 4 ever comes out. This round I may choose Sony, as it seems to be a more game oriented console, and not a media center.

Users who are viewing this thread