Why buy a 2011 GT 500 over a modded GT?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I wouldn't list resale as a pro on the GT500. Sure it's going to sell for more than a GT but the cost is 20k more. Gt500 is a superior car to the GT though. If you were looking to sell fairly quick you would probably take less of a hit on the GT, especially now that the 13's are coming out and they have 100hp more.

Resale is a big pro on the 500, you can get a new 11/12 GT500 for 45ish now. I was at a dealer recently and seen a 5.0 coupe with a sticker for 42k. Buy both of these cars and in five years try to sell them. I guarantee you will get considerably more money on the GT500. Maybe the 13 will be 20k more but not the current cars.

[QUOTE The 5.0 makes a ported TVS GT500 look silly off the line... But as soon as you hit third gear he will fly by like you are standing still.

[/QUOTE]

I find this comment funny, maybe if the 500 driver doesn't know what he is doing. I've raced more 5.0s than probably any other car including full bolt-on ones. They lose badly from a dig or a roll, a blown 5.0 is a different story though. I like the idea of a blown auto 5.0 for a sleeper, not many people are game once they see the cobra badge.

boneblower

Established Member
Guys, all great responses.

Andrew- I may take you up on the pm offer as I get closer to buying a car.

Truth be told I've always loved the GT 500 since I first saw the original when I was a wee one. (late 1960's) I'm 50 now.

But the 5.0 GT is alotta car for 25 grand........so its really a 20,000 difference that I must decide on

Grabber07'

Established Member
GT will always be just that, a GT. The 5.0 is a great car with a great motor and the 5.0 packs a great punch (412hp) out of the box....BUT a Shelby GT500 is on another level IMHO. 550hp out of the box and for a mear $700 in mod money you can up that HP to 540rwhp (630 flywheel HP) give or take.

To do that with a GT, you are going to need to purchase a blower ($5,000 to $7,000) and you are still limited by the internals where the GT500 isnt. To forge the motor you are looking at another $4,000 give or take depending on who does the work.

So now you have invested $9,000 to $11,000 to upgrade the GT....that $ gap just closed on the Shelby. You can get '10 and '11 GT500s for low 40's, you can get an '07 to '09 with little to no miles for $30k to $35k.

If your plan is to just have a nice car with some power, then get the 5.0. There are a lot running around here, I assume the same for your area. If your looking for "MORE" get the Shelby....not too many running around town.

Svt-Rich

V
Established Member
Resale is a big pro on the 500, you can get a new 11/12 GT500 for 45ish now. I was at a dealer recently and seen a 5.0 coupe with a sticker for 42k. Buy both of these cars and in five years try to sell them. I guarantee you will get considerably more money on the GT500.

Your comparing x plan pricing to a fully loaded GT sticker price, who pays sticker? I bought my brembo premium package 5.0 for 33k OTD in the beginning of 2011 before all of the rebates were available. You can get a way better deal now. Resale value is not high on a GT500.

Or have both..
2005 GT and 2007 GT500, bought used this month, with only 12k miles, showroom stock, and well under $30 tax, title and lic.

This just proves my point. GT500 is a great car but resale isn't as great as some of you guys are making it out to be

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I'm saying resale on a GT500 is better than a highly modified GT (blower, suspension, etc). Not a stock 5.0 vs GT500. Of course resale is worse, a more expensive car always looses more money on depreciation.

Having said that, the 5.0 I had on order was $41,000 for 5.0 with a lot of options, I think I had the price down to around $35,000. I decided to get a GT500 with Nav which was $56,500 MSRP and paid $53,500, which was good for the time. I was going to spend $10,000 for a blower, suspension, exhaust, etc anyways, so the upgrade to the GT500 wasn't that much. And I won't loose as much when i sell vs a supercharged 5.0.

sharke

Established Member
I find this comment funny, maybe if the 500 driver doesn't know what he is doing. I've raced more 5.0s than probably any other car including full bolt-on ones. They lose badly from a dig or a roll, a blown 5.0 is a different story though. I like the idea of a blown auto 5.0 for a sleeper, not many people are game once they see the cobra badge.

How is that possible? From a dig it doesn't matter which car has more power. In fact, more power is usually bad. I'm pretty sure any car with 350whp can pull a 1.5 60'. It is just a question of who has their suspension better tuned. Combine that with a lighter car being the 5.0 I would probably give it the edge with similar 1/4 mile times.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
How is that possible? From a dig it doesn't matter which car has more power. In fact, more power is usually bad. I'm pretty sure any car with 350whp can pull a 1.5 60'. It is just a question of who has their suspension better tuned. Combine that with a lighter car being the 5.0 I would probably give it the edge with similar 1/4 mile times.

Since you seem so skeptical I dug up a vid from last summer. At the time I had a tune/filter only against his tune/CAI exhaust I believe so I had about 100 whp advantage give or take. I ran two deep everytime to have a camera man so he had even more of a weight advantage. No matter how we ran it I put a couple car lengths on him up to about 110, in the first clip I even missed third gear bad. Every bolt-on 5.0 I've raced the outcome is always the same. Never had a chance to run a blown 5.0 though, that would be interesting.

Race Day :: vs50.mp4 video by NightRide - Photobucket

klastinger

Established Member
I figgur the 2011 GT 500 on a private party sale is about 45k right now. Prolly gonna drop a bit when the 2013 presents itself.

I figgure a modded (supercharger,tune,suspension upgrades) GT is goona cost me $10,000 less than that. (approx)

Question- Why should I spend the extra 10 grand on the GT 500?
I traded a 2011 GT in for my 2012 Shelby. Like many have said, it is the ultimate Mustang in my book. Just a different car. The new GT's are refined, compared to the Shelby, which drives like a muscle car.

I look at the Shelby in a different light than I ever did my 11 GT, and it was modded pretty nicely itself.

I would chose the Shelby anyday.

Users who are viewing this thread