Why buy a 2011 GT 500 over a modded GT?

boneblower

Established Member
I figgur the 2011 GT 500 on a private party sale is about 45k right now. Prolly gonna drop a bit when the 2013 presents itself.

I figgure a modded (supercharger,tune,suspension upgrades) GT is goona cost me $10,000 less than that. (approx)

Question- Why should I spend the extra 10 grand on the GT 500?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well perhaps I can help with this. I just purchase my GT500 on F3b 14 2012. Before that I had a modded 08 GT.

The mods on the 08 included FR3 suspension, LCA's UCA's from B&M, BaP, Magnaflow Side Exhaust w/XChamber, Saleen Stoptechs w/slotted rotors, and a Saleen SuperShaker S/C. Also had a Kenwood Nav/Bluetooth/Ipod system. The car was very unique looking and I had many compliments on it.
pic
The%2BWolf2.JPG

It also ran 12.5/12.6 on street tires all day long and was a blast to drive.

After saying all this, the one thing it was not, it was not a Shelby. My car was nearly maxed out if you wanted to be safe and not risk going boom. I was at the point where I needed to start replacing certain parts if I wanted to go further. I do not have that issue in my new SHelby. Also at the end of the day, no matter how much I did to my car, it was still a modded GT. At the end of the day your Shelby will be a Shelby, thus it will retain its value a lot more.

I guess it comes down to why you want the car. Do you want to go fast ? Do you want a piece of perhaps automotive history ? For me, the answer was the both. I wanted to have a nice performance Mustang, but I also wanted a piece of what is sure to be automotive history. So when my Shelby presented itself to me, at the deal I wanted, I pulled the trigger. Now for truth the new 5.0 is not the 08 Mustangs. They can truly hold there own with some mods. But again, in the end, it is still a GT.

So it still comes down to the one question. Go fast GT ? save some money ? Go fast GT500. Own a piece of history. For me, well lol look at my sig. That was my choice, and I could not be happier with the decision.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Or get a '07-09 GT500 :pepper:

Imatk

Established Member
I would suggest you ride in a GT500 if you haven't.

I, like the above poster, had a modded '06 with blower, etc. And I now have the '06 with a GT500 drivetrain. There is no comparison to the amount of power that 4 valve delivers compared to the 4.6.

I enjoyed my car with the Saleen blower, but I LOVE my car with the GT500 motor.

So if you can get a GT with the GT500 drivetrain for less then I'd say go for it, but otherwise you'll not get the same performance out of the 3 valve.

Not sure about the new 5.0 though... never drove one of those. I did beat one pretty badly in my '06 a while back though if that helps ;)

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
^ what they said, I just traded a modded 11 5.0 running 11.77 in on a new 2011 SVTPP and I now have a Shelby!

boneblower

Established Member
Truth be told I like the Shel better.

Great answers fellas. Especially from the guys who have been down the road ahead of me.

I have driven a few 07's GT 500's. I like the 2011-2012's much better.

I'd have to go stripe delete on mine. Lava red or kona blue for me.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
They say if you need someone else to tell you what car to get then maybe you just don't need it. That's what I was told when buying my first Z. You'll never enjoy a car more than when you feel like it was your decision and not that of everyone else.

Svt-Rich

V
Established Member
Resale
Warranty
Exclusivity

I wouldn't list resale as a pro on the GT500. Sure it's going to sell for more than a GT but the cost is 20k more. Gt500 is a superior car to the GT though. If you were looking to sell fairly quick you would probably take less of a hit on the GT, especially now that the 13's are coming out and they have 100hp more.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Not on a stock gt. but after you spend $10k on blower and suspension- you won't get that back. I wouldn't buy a used GT with a supercharger.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Not on a stock gt. but after you spend $10k on blower and suspension- you won't get that back. I wouldn't buy a used GT with a supercharger.

This as well. When I wanted to do my trade, the FIRST thing they started talking about is that they could not give me the extra money for mods. Of course though when they sell it, the mods will be included in their pricing....

a_gorman

Established Member
I currently own a 2009 GT500 as well as a 2011 GT, both modded but the GT remains N/A. I love both my cars to death. After putting a 2.8L LC Kenne Bell on the GT500 I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy the 5.0, not was I wrong! The cars are both ridiculous in their own ways. The 5.0 makes a ported TVS GT500 look silly off the line... But as soon as you hit third gear he will fly by like you are standing still.

The GT is quick and nimble on her feet, where as the GT500 is a bruiser! It all depends what you want to do with the car, either way you can't go wrong.

feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I may not have touched on here.

Andrew
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

acobra03

Established Member
with a user name like BoneBlower...can this post be for real? You can spend 50k modding a GT, but it's still a GT.

Users who are viewing this thread