Why do people like Skylines so much?

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
The engine can handle nearly 1000bhp stock, it has a getrag 6 speed transmission, brembo calipers all around, AWD system that's only rivaled by Porsche and Lamborghini, and all wheel steering. All in a package that weighs around 3400lbs.

I don't remember the sanctioning body that ran it, but in Japan there was a racing series that had everything from Skyline's, Supra's, to Ferrari's on up, and the Skyline so thoroughly dominated the race that the sanctioning body created a class just for them.

I don't know if it's worth $80K in a "value" sense as you could certainly buy a faster car for the same amount - namely the Z06. But much of that money is spent on importing fee's, federalizing fee's, and conversions to U.S. specs. To that end, you get more exclusivity than any Z06 will buy you. And I don't give a damn if the soccer mom in the minivan in the next lane doesn't recognize it.

It would be a tough choice for me between similar cars in that price range (although the only time you'll ever see it that high is for an R34 GT-R V-Spec). You're guaranteed to run into other Z06's on the road and that won't happen in the Skyline. Stock for stock it'd get whooped, but you'd have a racing legend in your hands with the Skyline that no one else would have.

pipe

*pee* ~pay~
Established Member
are corvettes and cobras for sale in japan?

It is just the rarity factor that makes them so hot. i've seen a handful of ferraris, a lambo, but i have yet to see a skyline.

caseypayne69

Banned
Why all the talk of z06. Don't get me wrong I love the new z06, in an article it barely pulls the new viper. Yet the viper still out handles the z06. This is apples to orangles talk. A skyline is a nice car (overpriced) thats competely ready to mod to that high roof of 1000. The Corvette is Bored, strocked, Shet GM is using every trick in the book on that car. 3.45 or so gear, 12.1 or 11.1 compression and redlines extremely high. Basicly not pulling any punches, while the Viper ran with less heart ache. The Viper while barely slower then a z06 has 3.08 gears, 9.1 compression, and still old school technology. I say screw both, buy a viper, throw in 3.55, raise the compression to 12, meaner cam, raise the redline, bore and stroke the viper. All i'm saying if you put all the z06's tricks in the viper, it would damn near be un touchable to any other NA car. Now you have a beast. Sure its 100k now but hey, Its king.

back to the skyline. Overrated, All that I see thats so grand is its awe wheel drive system. Thats seams so advanced that when the come out again with it, the awe system is staying the same.

Last edited:

rrich1

Established Member
lets think about this you are comparing a car that was discontinued in 2002 to a car that just came out in 2006. but yet are still pricing them out the same. like they said earlier. over half the cost of the skyline is importing and document fees. the rarity of the skyline is what would make it great. zo6 doesnt have awd like the skyline. they are in different markets altogether. they are different cars adn shoudlnt be treated like they are in the same class.

Banned
I love the way they look.. Love the awd performance.. That is why I like them.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
pipe said:
are corvettes and cobras for sale in japan?

It is just the rarity factor that makes them so hot. i've seen a handful of ferraris, a lambo, but i have yet to see a skyline.
im stationed in yokouska japan right now and i have seen a few vettes and 1 black convertable 03/04 cobra driven around by a guy who looked american in yokohama. the GTRs are pretty badass cars and they sell for about 50k for the used 98-02 models. and the 90 to 97 fetch anywhere from 5k to 20k depending on the year. the skyline is a pretty versiatle (sp) platform the have 2 door/4 door turbo none GTR, N/A 2 and 4 doors as well. the infinti G35s in the states are Skylines here in japan, no difference except price really

Banned

opticshadow123

Go Gators
Established Member
What's funny is the skyline is worshipped over here because of the fact that it isn't available here. In Japan, however, they do highway racing (called wangen) and currently it is dominated by an A4 Corvette, oh and they absolutely LOVE Stangs over there. I'm dead serious.

epyon

Established Member
I hear the FALCON is coming from down under , and it can eat a Skyline R34 in nothing flat. But , it is Japans flagship car like the VIPER is here .

GH1086

Established Member
caseypayne69 said:
Why all the talk of z06. Don't get me wrong I love the new z06, in an article it barely pulls the new viper. Yet the viper still out handles the z06. This is apples to orangles talk. A skyline is a nice car (overpriced) thats competely ready to mod to that high roof of 1000. The Corvette is Bored, strocked, Shet GM is using every trick in the book on that car. 3.45 or so gear, 12.1 or 11.1 compression and redlines extremely high. Basicly not pulling any punches, while the Viper ran with less heart ache. The Viper while barely slower then a z06 has 3.08 gears, 9.1 compression, and still old school technology. I say screw both, buy a viper, throw in 3.55, raise the compression to 12, meaner cam, raise the redline, bore and stroke the viper. All i'm saying if you put all the z06's tricks in the viper, it would damn near be un touchable to any other NA car. Now you have a beast. Sure its 100k now but hey, Its king.

back to the skyline. Overrated, All that I see thats so grand is its awe wheel drive system. Thats seams so advanced that when the come out again with it, the awe system is staying the same.
Please get back on the short bus.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Its a sedan. With AWD. Turbos. And the ability to be modded to high hell.

Whats NOT to like? If it was the Ford Skyline (*cough ford falcon XR-6), you all would have jizzed on the screen several thousand times over.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
They would be one of my last choices for a sports car. Hell I'd take a vette over one any day of the week. I never understood the hype, and think they look like ass. But they are very respectable cars, just not the best to me.

deathdealer

Established Member
Skylines are one of the few imports I wouldn't mind driving. I've always had a thing for them.

Nis_Skyline_r34.jpg

BANZAI DANIEL-SAN, BANZAI!!!

northsider

Established Member
I am probably the only one here who has driven one (1997 GT-R R33). It handles like a dream. It doesn't have a lot of power but it's enough to snap your head back. The engine sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. However, left hand driving sucks. I kept missing gears. Not used to shifting with my left arm. They are loud on the inside too. Suspension is really stiff. The GT-R's are pretty much race cars for the street. Turn up the boost and you got a good performer. But for the price of importing one and legalizing it you can get a better car. The guy who let me drive his at a autocross meet told me he ended up paying 62,000 when it was all said and done. At the meet there was a Porsche 911, RX-7 and a C5 Vette that were running way better times then the GT-R though. For the money you can do alot better.

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
skylines IMO are one of my favorite imports without a doubt. i dunno if i would have the same opinion of them if they were common here in the states but the rarity of them is part of why i like them so much, i have yet to see a R34 in person, there was some guy who lived not far from me who had an R33 but i havent seen it in a long time i think he sold it. plus i think the R33s and R34s are gorgeous, and also they have really stout engines right from the factory capable of serious performance. i would love to be able to own a skyline, really badass car.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
deathdealer said:
Skylines are one of the few imports I wouldn't mind driving. I've always had a thing for them.

Nis_Skyline_r34.jpg

BANZAI DANIEL-SAN, BANZAI!!!

Perhaps Some Rice in your Veins?

Users who are viewing this thread