Why does my tranny get harder to shift

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
After some quick shifting? I have to pull up on the clutch pedal to reset the cable after a couple of fast shifts... What is the problem?

I had a UPR firewall adj/ Clutch Quadrant on my Mach 1 and I hated it. I'm nervous to try one on my Cobra as I'm comfortable in the engagement point right now.

The car only has 20000 miles, but it does have chatter on hills and a chirping TOB! :cuss:

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Your stock plastic clutch quadrant is stripped. You have to replace it. Sounds like you need to replace TOB, too, and maybe clutch, too!

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
Hmm, how could it become stripped?

Can I just install the quadrant w/o a firewall adjuster? If I do install these, can I keep the stock clutch cable in? I swapped out the one in my Mach, and it wasn't worth it.

I think I'll try Fiore this time.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
I don't know about the UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster but I have a fiore w/the stock cable and it is great. Solved all my clutch issues.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I'm noticing the same thing. I've had the TOB chirp for maybe a couple months now, and I've been noticing the shifter is a little tighter/notchier feeling when moving from gear to gear.
I was planning on taking the car to the dealership to get them to replace the TOB and sleeve with the "improved" parts I've heard about (since a lot of owners have had similar issues). Then I plan to get a quadrant/firewall adjuster and that LDC spring. Should that do the trick?

1fastsrt-4

Established Member
I have a UPR Clutch quadrant and a BBK clutch quandrant for sale. Also have adjustable clutch cables steeda and BBK....

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I've got an adjustable quadrant, and have had my TOB changed. It did not fix this issue. My shifting is fine when the car is cold in the morning, but by afternoon when it's hot, it shifts very poorly.

jking32

Established Member
My car would not shift worth a crap once the rev's were up. I had the stock plastic quadrant with a Pro 5.0 shifter. I bought the Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster and it solved the problem immediatly. I liked it so much I got rid of the cable eating UPR triple hook quadrant in my wife's 5.0 and put the same setup and her's and no more problems on her's either.

jking32

Established Member
You can just get the quadrant if you like, but trust me the firewall adjuster is worth every cent and then some. I adjusted mine, thought I had it where I wanted it, went for a drive, did not like it, popped the hood, made a couple of turns and I was done. The Fiore Quadrant and adjuster are very high quality pieces.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
jking32 said:
You can just get the quadrant if you like, but trust me the firewall adjuster is worth every cent and then some. I adjusted mine, thought I had it where I wanted it, went for a drive, did not like it, popped the hood, made a couple of turns and I was done. The Fiore Quadrant and adjuster are very high quality pieces.

okay, thanks

04torchred

Established Member
I just did the Fiore full setup and it is nice. My pedal use to go mushy and release really low after powershifts or just quick speed shifts. It doesn't do that anymore. Another big plus is with an aftermarket setup you get the TOB of the fork.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
AngelOreo said:
Could it be something as simple at adding tranny fluid? Could it be low? I had a similiar problem but I needed a clutch.

One way to find out, check your fluid level. The stock quadrant is junk, svt should be ashamed to put that plastic pos in our cars. Seriously guys, do yourself a favor and look at the fiore adjuster/ quadrant, and ldc spring. I have not had a single issue since installing these, car shifts smooth as silk.

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
I just changed my fluid to Royal Purple 1 month or 50 miles ago..

I'm about to order the Fiore quadrant and see how that goes.

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
Quadrant came in today so I'll install it today or tomorrow.. That Fiore unit is much bigger than the UPR model.. Looks and feels like a quality piece too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're going to be very happy with it! This is one mod I believe should be on everyone's mod short list. Let me know you like it and whether or not it solved your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread