Why doesnt my drivers side rear tire spin when I do a burnout?

silvercoffin

Established Member
When I dont go through the water my tires spin great. I have line locks so it has nothing to do with the brakes. When I go through the water most of the time I only spin the passenger side.

I watched I think his name is Harvey in a mineral grey 03 cobra today at etown and he didnt do a very long burnout but I noticed that mostly just his passenger side spun...

There's another guy in CJMF the club im in has the same thing happen according to another club member i talked to today.

SO that makes three 03 cobras doin this. Whats the deal?? IS this just a normal thing because of the way the rear is designed?

I tried to avoid the water box but didnt launch as well i thought doing a dry burnout...cant be helping all that much if only one tire is spinning though. My passenger side is almost bald and I have some tread left on the driver side!

HELP!!!!:fm: :gt:

03DOHC

Established Member
Sounds like your trac-lok is getting worn. The clutches in the diff have to be replaced after a while.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
You can repack them tighter and clutches/discs in a different configuration so it locks better and longer. There's a page on the net somewhere with all the info. The trade off is more commotion from the rear in tight corners. That's why Ford packs them loose I'd guess.

To prolong them, make sure you either spin both or don't spin either going around corners. Once it breaks loose, it's locked up. If neither is spinning, it slips to allow the turn. But if you spin only one tire, maybe one that got wet in a puddle then take off around a corner, the clutches get worn very quickly that way.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Jonas told me he saw that happen to me last night.

Noticed that the car gets side ways if i did the burn out at 4K.
Either the car would go to the left or the right.

So what i learned last night was not to start at such a high RPM. Do the Burn Out @ 3500RPM & bring it to 4000RPM.

Hold straight & can see both sides smoking.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
This doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but I was always told not to burnout in the waterbox with DR's? Just dry burnouts. The waterbox should be used with Slicks, is this not true?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
One Wheel Peel is a Mustang phenomenon after we got decent power levels in a Fairmont deriviative chassis...I've seen this happen since about 1984. I'd say it's a complex interaction of engine torque and chassis dynamics.

Others have already mentioned great solutions (repacking the diff) but the best would be a non-clutch type differential, so it will never wear out...unless you are only drag racing and very little street. Then a detroit locker would make sense. They are very noisy however. :bored:

jrh99

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
This doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but I was always told not to burnout in the waterbox with DR's? Just dry burnouts. The waterbox should be used with Slicks, is this not true?

I've heard the same, but don't know the truth.

silvercoffin

Established Member
Water Box

WITH NITTO DRs

I tried dry burnouts since both wheels spin that way, but after 6 runs with 2.0 or worse 60 ft times I decided to go through the water again and then I ran 1.85 60 ft times again.

I have been told by many people that going throught the water helps get the tires spinning faster and produces more heat???

I'd have to agree because once I started to go through the water again and even when I only get one tire spinning, I always run under 1.99 60 ft times.

I think I am about to order some BFG Drag Radials now.

silvercoffin

Established Member
???????

So what i learned last night was not to start at such a high RPM. Do the Burn Out @ 3500RPM & bring it to 4000RPM

DOES EVERYONE AGREE WITH THIS?

I have been thinking the opposite is true and I reved my car up to 5500 and popped the clutch last run last night and got both spinning that way.

Thanks for the advice. :burnout:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Re: ???????

Originally posted by silvercoffin
DOES EVERYONE AGREE WITH THIS?

I have been thinking the opposite is true and I reved my car up to 5500 and popped the clutch last run last night and got both spinning that way.

Thanks for the advice. :burnout:

That is just my exp. thus far. It works for me :shrug: . When Jonas told me that i was only spinning 1 tire car was getting totally side ways.

When both tires were spinning, the feeling was great. The burn out continued out from the water box to the tree & it was all in a straight line.

5000RPM i heard off & tried that as well but with the same result going side ways....but not sure if its cause i have the 18x10.5 rims or not?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The reason you only go into the water box with slicks is b/c treaded tires will carry water in the tread up to the line. Slicks won't.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmm

Well I stopped going in the water box for about 5 runs and my 60ft times were all 2.0 or worse that way. Then right before brackets I figured that was the only thing I changed so I went through the water and even spun my Nitto DRs in the water and my 60 ft for the next two runs was 1.8s, so not much water must be left once you do a burnout. Of course Drag Radials have very little tread in them.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hey

I wonder if the problem is more pronounced now because my driver side tire (the one that isnt always spinning) still has some tread while the passenger tire is almost bald making it spin more easily when its cold.?????????:shrug:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
arb air locker?

has anybody tried or thought of trying the arb air locker (arb website)? it's an air activated locker. when it's not on the diff is basically open but when you activate the pump it turns into a locker. i know it works great in the 4wd world - just wondering if it might be a good compromise for the person that wants the locker-type diff on demand but no noise/uneven tire wear taking turns around town.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
The reason you only go into the water box with slicks is b/c treaded tires will carry water in the tread up to the line. Slicks won't.

Yup. And even slicks cars should drive around and back into it.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmm

You aren't allowed to do that at Englishtown. They have even come over the PA and announced it.

Anyway thats not my problem. I realized yesterday that my right rear tire has one tread left on the outside and inside it's a slick. Thats probably why this problem has become more pronounced lately. Im sure its easier to get the side with no tread spinning so the side with tread left just sits there. I ordered some BFG Drag Radials to try out next.

Still would be nice to not have to worry about wasting one tire more than the other though. I guess Ill have to bring my car into the shop yet again for something Ford should have done right form the start.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake

Most tracks will not let you do a dry burnout. The reason being that you'll chunk the track. The waterbox relives the stress on your diff and clutch by allowing the tires to spin easier. The length of the burnout is dictated by the tire composition. BFG's: until you see smoke, Nittos: 3-5 sec of smoke. To avoid the water from your fronts just do a quick "S" and a short clean of the tires before you stage. This has always been good for 1.6-1.7 60" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread