Why event planning blows....

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
No offense bud, but there are companies with budgets out there and names that mean something in the industry that do what you were trying to accomplish.

I think your last paragraph sums it up. You're only an 18 yr old kid with an 03 cobra. You can only do so much.

I respect what you tried to do. When I first saw who you "had" on board i was impressed. Shit happens.

Planning shit like that is what some people make a living out of. Don't take it personal. Enjoy your teens while you can!

Good Luck.

Last edited:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Sounds like a major pain in the ***, like planning a wedding or something:p :-D

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Originally posted by Wilson & Co
No offense bud, but there are companies with budgets out there and names that mean something in the industry that do what you were trying to accomplish.

I think your last paragraph sums it up. You're only an 18 yr old kid with an 03 cobra. You can only do so much.

I respect what you tried to do. When I first saw who you "had" on board i was impressed. Shit happens.

Planning shit like that is what some people make a living out of. Don't take it personal. Enjoy your teens while you can!

Good Luck.

In the beginning, we were promised by individuals that had a lot of pull and they said they would help us out no problem. We even let them put their name behind our event. We talked for a few weeks and got pretty much nowhere. Only gains we made were getting our names in with TWO companies, who are nearly impossible to get a hold of.

If we have the will do to this, it shouldnt be hard. Whats making it harder is some companies telling us 'yea, we want title sponsor, just get more people and coverage'. OK, we have 50+ racers AND have been promised some sort of coverage, depending on how the event pans out closer to the date. As of right now, without sponsors, then no coverage. Its all politics, such bullshit. Whatever happpened to loving racing? One of the main reasons we did this was because most of the cars coming to our event cant run anywhere but 1/8 mile tracks since they daily driver fast-ass street cars that dont want cages. We cant run anywhere else but US41 w/o a cage.

Last edited:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Try this. :??: Have Dave donate his time and give a speech, Gene can stand next to him and return phone calls, while the other suppliers all play hide and seek. Sell tickets for this and that may pay for the sponsorship you need!

:dw: :shrug:

Brian@SCT

Established Member
Now this is awkward. We've been talking to Brian for probably 3months now...a few weeks back he said he wanted to be the title sponsor. Cool beans we thought, its starting to come around finally. So we talk to Brain for a while working out details...then one day....Bam!!! "Hello this is Gene" WTF? Who's Gene? Well, turns out the new owner of Apten was interested too. Cool we thought. So we've been playing phone tag for the past couple weeks. Now today, after sending them all of the info about what it costs to sponsor, and what you get for each level...we get a reply saying they'll do a $500 payout for the 03/04 class. All they want is for it to be 03/04 Cobra class presented by Apten. Well, thats fine and dandy, except, thats NOT one of the options, and DOESNT pay for ANY part of the event. So we are still ****ed. This really got me stirring today. Do you go to Burger King and order a 42oz Porterhouse? NO, you get something off the menu, and you pay what THEY tell you, you dont make up your own shit.

Never at any point did I or anyone at apten say we would to be a title sponsor. You sent me the info and I considered it. Instead of being a sponsor I said we would make a representation. Every time something like this comes up you get to the event and there are like 10 people there. No offense to you or your planning, but you have no commitment from any publication to be there, this is not a sanctioned event, and just a list of people that say they are going to come. I've seen a lot of these, and when it comes down to it people that say they are going to come usually don't. I'm sorry that you felt that we would sponsor the event, but I never agreed to that on the phone or in writing. I actually had some ideas to help you for this event after my splitting from Apten, but after seeing how you are digging on people that gave enough effort to try, I am reconsidering.

If that's not enough, you are pretty much bashing every sponsor that you contacted or that took intrest in trying to help with your event. It sounds like some were trying but couldn't pull it off. Sponsoring events is not somthing that's easy for any vendor, you would be suprised how many letters and emails all of us get from individuals and groups wanting things sponsored. How many vendors after reading this post do you think will want to get within 10 feet of this issue.

Brian Herron

Last edited:

Bill Reid

Established Member
hj16,

Couple of thoughts here...

First off, David Smilovic, aka Davidmax, owns Xtreme Motorsports. He is an outspoken member of this forum... whether you like it, laugh at it, learn from it, or ignore it. I am the general manager of his business... in short I run the show. I seem to remember a brief conversation between you and I regarding this upcoming event. Did I commit to you we would be there? Didn't I say we would try and make it? What happened to our conversation between then and now? If you have a beef with Xtreme couldn't you have discussed it with me first? Dave can say whatever he wants about his own personal schedule... about whether or not he and/or his ride will be at any given event. But he does not run his business... I do. Dave's Cobra can no longer be driven on the street with exception to short trips in and near the business. But that doesn't mean it cannot show up at a drag racing event... assuming I can afford to pay the personel, including expenses, to be there. Ever driven a manual valve body C4 with a 5000 stall and 4.10 gears on the street? I DID say that NMRA Outlaw was in our future... but you know we are already into the 04 racing season. I NEVER told you or anybody else it would be this year. Do you know how long it takes to build an NMRA Outlaw car? Do you know how much?

Second, we are a small business that concentrates on internet parts sales, local installation, service, and tuning. We have a staff of 5, let me repeat, FIVE people. Chad runs the shop with 2 other techs. Thats leaves me with myself and Mike, our tuner and resident engineer, who run the office and answer phones. Chad comes into the office when he can to help. But that means when Mike has a car to tune I run the 4 phone lines BY MYSELF! Dave, on occasion comes to help man the phones. Thats right... you call us and you speak to me or Mike... and occasionally Dave himself. Sometimes are phones ring off the hook and we get hammered on the forums because we are not attentive to our phones. But you know what? I can't hire a secretary because I cannot afford one. I'm too busy trying to compete with partswhore.com selling parts at cost + 2-5% shipped FREE while they stay in their bunny slippers slapping stickes on incoming boxes in their garage. I MUST compete with these guys... internet sales are an important part of ANY legit store front business.

Bill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread