Why is the GT so heavy?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
satx said:
I used to think the same way but changed my mind. I really don't think the extra 100 lbs. is an issue for a street car and the GT's 5.4 already makes 600 HP. One thing the V10 can't do is 700rwhp with bolt-ons. Once you do a little reading on that Aluminum 5.4 block you find out just how trick that motor is.

I think the big reason a N/A motor would have been better is mainly perception. A s/c motor to some is just not viewed as a truly great sports car engine, rather an easy way to achieve power and not idealy suited for road coursing. That's why you don't really see them on sports cars. Also, sports cars are not really meant for the mega modding war like mustangs and fbodies, rather more balanced performance. For road racing, you can have too much power, trust me.

I can't blame ford for going with what they knew and had available

TRXboy

Established Member
Although I Agree, there have been several Supercars/Exotics that have used some form of FI in the past, Although normaly turbo, look at cars like the F40-S7-Veyron-Mc SLR. I think the supercharger just makes it more "American". Not to mention AMG does not do that bad with there Super charged V8's....

P.S. I Know the SLR is SCed Not Turbo, Just saying.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
im glad that ford used the s'charged 5.4 instead of the aston martin sourced engine like speculation was saying, otherwise the media would probably just know it as the aston martin with the ford badge or something. if im not mistaken it uses a modified aston martin frame, right? heard that a couple times although wasnt to sure.

satx

Banned
Ry_Trapp0 said:
if im not mistaken it uses a modified aston martin frame, right? heard that a couple times although wasnt to sure.

similiar manufacturing techniques are used for both frames but each frame is unique to itself.

TRXboy

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
im glad that ford used the s'charged 5.4 instead of the aston martin sourced engine like speculation was saying, otherwise the media would probably just know it as the aston martin with the ford badge or something.

Yeah, Instead it's known as the 150,000 Dollar car with a Pickup engine in it :D

But oh what an engine.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
LOL, good point. either way i still think it gives ford a little more credibility since its their own engine of their own design instead of a borrowed engine.
satx said:
similiar manufacturing techniques are used for both frames but each frame is unique to itself.
ooOOoo, i see. thanks.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
they say the 5.4 GT motor is not the same as the Lightning 5.4 motor. different style heads, internals etc. similar displacement is all they share. i think 50 BMG said this

doesnt really matter tho... any of fords forged internal blown motors are capable of supporting insane power.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
no, its not a truck engine at all. it just shares the same basics with it(bore and stroke, and probably close to the same dimensions).

Users who are viewing this thread