Why not prep the car for E85?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
In road racing, I could see how the sheer volume needed would be a pain. For daily driving though, it's no big deal. I went from about 20-23MPG on E10 93 octane to 17-20MPG on E70. If it was available at half of the gas stations, it wouldn't be an inconvenience at all to me.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
For aftermarket tuning, all you need are 47# injectors and a tune. I'm sure that the GT350 will be similar. Larger injectors + tune. I'll let you know as soon as I take delivery of mine.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
For aftermarket tuning, all you need are 47# injectors and a tune. I'm sure that the GT350 will be similar. Larger injectors + tune. I'll let you know as soon as I take delivery of mine.

thank you appreciate it. Just an increase in injectors and a tune, sounds simple enough. What size are the stock fuel injectors?
Also, with E85, the tuner can increase timing correct? Which makes the engine more aggressive?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
thank you appreciate it. Just an increase in injectors and a tune, sounds simple enough. What size are the stock fuel injectors?
Also, with E85, the tuner can increase timing correct? Which makes the engine more aggressive?

24#

More timing and cooler fuel charge. On an NA 5.0, expect 5-12whp gain, but the car will never have overheating issues. It will run the same way, hot or cold, over and over.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The 5.0 from 11-14 at least is all ethanol safe. I don't know about the 15+, but I assume it's the same. I haven't seen any info to suggest otherwise.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I wonder how much these kits cost and is it better to do it individual as needed.
I didn't look at a lot of kits, but the ones I did look at didn't come with what I'd call a massive amount of mark-up, and I'd much rather have had someone do all the engineering up front. All depends on what your time is worth I suppose.

I certainly wouldn't assume anything about the GT350 fuel system - I'd rather replace the pieces known to be a potential problem than be wrong and saved $50 and have my hot engine get hosed with fuel when a line or seal gives up the ghost..... But it's your car :)

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Quality wise E85 as other issues to. The inconsistency is one. Being a dirty fuel is another. Be sure to change fuel filters regularly. You will need 33% more fuel system to support the same HP. E85 evaporates quickly leaving behind the water absorbed in the fuel.

The advantage to E85 is renewable resource, lower emissions, cooling effect of the air temp, advanced timing due to being harder to burn with less chance of detonation.

It's not perfect(nothing is) but it's a good fit for some.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
If left idle, won't E85 corrode the rubber fuel delivery parts if, god forbid, it takes me 2 months to go though a tank of gas? If true the factory parts would be easy enough to switch over to stainless which is what OP is referring to I think. This is the one issue that's holding me back from making the switch in my GT500.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
As long as you run the car once every couple of weeks so that the fuel moves through there, you're safe. That's on the 2011-2014 which I've researched. Not sure about the GT500. People have let it sit for longer than that and not had any issues though.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If left idle, won't E85 corrode the rubber fuel delivery parts if, god forbid, it takes me 2 months to go though a tank of gas? If true the factory parts would be easy enough to switch over to stainless which is what OP is referring to I think. This is the one issue that's holding me back from making the switch in my GT500.

Take the car on a joy ride with some tank slapping broadies and 90mph donuts, or if too lazy, lend it to a valet once a week. That gas will be as likely to ruin rubber as a blind man is likely to see again.

Could it happen one day in 30 years? Sure, tomorrow or by 2020? No, and sadly no for the blind man either.

Something's, like Scotch and brandy, take a long time. E85 corrosion is one of them. You'd need to park the car for about a year.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm blind you a-hole! kidding. I'll have to make the switch then. especially since a Sunoco just opened by my house with E85.

Users who are viewing this thread