Why pay over MSRP for a GT500?

FASN8N

Established Member
Please help me understand this.

Ford is supposed to build around 9,000 of these cars last time I checked.

I realize that people had to have the 03 Cobra when it came out too and paid up for the right to have that car, but after only 2-3 years on the market you can get an 03 Cobra for 60-70% of MSRP.

Let’s assume the GT 500 is $45k MSRP. Why would you pay $60k+ for a car you will be able to sell for $31k two years later?

9,000 cars produced doesn’t really qualify as a “rare” car

Maybe people just like throwing away money?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Irresponsible spending is a subjective term. If someone has enough to lose an extra twenty grand and not blink then more power to 'em. :shrug: I'm just going to hate seeing some of these cars going to the "flavor of the month" crowd. I really hope the majority end up in enthusiast hands.

Last edited:

Jay G

Established Member
Some people have more money than sense, that along with no patience equals why these so called "rare cars" are going to sale for over msrp plain and simple.

chuckstang

Established Member
I would feel comfortable paying $35k for the gt500
I wonder what the invoice on it will be :)

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Invoice wil probably be around 36-37, which is what I would shoot for.

98slowbra

Established Member
I am hearing the Steelerships are asking up to $40k over msrp, so you will be paying 80k for a at most 40k car, no way in hell I would pay that, you can go buy a faster, better handling, way more HP car for that kind of money.

Cobraing

Trumpet of Torque
Established Member
I'll stick with my 03, the more I read about the GT500 the more I become completly uninterested in it.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
We all want what we can't have. This is the most hyped car I have seen in a while and lots of folks are falling for it. Remember that people paid over sticker for the new VW Bug and worse yet the PT Snoozer. So give it time, I would be surprised to see the hype outlive the supply of this car over the next two years. The other thing in our favor is that people get board quick when something new comes along or once the new car smell wears off.....Steve

pvteye

Established Member
people pay the ADM because they can, simple as that, If you gotta have the first on the block, you gotta pay the price. I never warmed up to the body style change, so I sold my option for 12K and will keep my 04, especially in light of the numbers the 07 has put down so far. I almost bought a yellow 03 vert, when they first came out, ADM was 5K and I balked, I did not want it that bad.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I think the people that are paying that much over are expecting this car to be a collectors item in 20 years from now. And if enough people out there think that, then it will become a reality. In the long run all collector items with earlier serial numbers or VIN's are usually more valueable.

I, for one am buying the car to drive. A 67 Shelby with 100K miles on it still goes for 150K+.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
By this time next year if they arent below MSRP, I will be putting in a 302 stroker with Crower Stage II cams and a KB.

FASN8N

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
I think the people that are paying that much over are expecting this car to be a collectors item in 20 years from now. And if enough people out there think that, then it will become a reality. In the long run all collector items with earlier serial numbers or VIN's are usually more valueable.

I, for one am buying the car to drive. A 67 Shelby with 100K miles on it still goes for 150K+.

A car with a production run of 9,000 is not a collector car! A 93R model, S351 Saleen or Saleen Cobra are much more rare.

Last edited:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
FASN8N said:
I car with a production run of 9,000 is not a collector car! A 93R model, S351 Saleen or Saleen Cobra are much more rare.
? So all the original stangs,vettes,GTO's etc. ad nausem are not collectors cars? A collector anything needs someone to desire it that can't immediatly fulfill that desire. And at least the first years GT 500 production, they can't.

FASN8N

Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
? So all the original stangs,vettes,GTO's etc. ad nausem are not collectors cars? A collector anything needs someone to desire it that can't immediatly fulfill that desire. And at least the first years GT 500 production, they can't.

You are correct. My point is that it would seem that a car with a production run of 9k cars would not seem like a great investment (few cars are great long term investments anyway) over the long haul due to too much supply.

Users who are viewing this thread