Why pay over MSRP for a GT500?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
A lot... The price will drastically effect how many people even consider buying this car.
I disagree. There is such a high demand for this car that I would be surprised if there will be any sitting on dealer lots for very long.

I was speaking with some guy a few days ago and all he kept saying was 500hp...500hp, etc. lol There isn't another car for $25K more that can touch 500HP and have a full factory warranty.

Now to me that sounds silly cause I know that 500 hp is attached to 3900# and I can take my cobra and throw on $1000 worth of mods and make more power, but my warranty is trash and I am not driving the new toy on the block.

When I get my shelby it's going on a diet...3600# is the goal...and man that 3.3L whipple is looking mighty tempting. hmm...full long tube exhaust, cai, tune, 3.3 @ 15psi, 3600#...630rwhp 10.XX's all day.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I don't feel that a 500hp, 3900#, 9000 units/yr, price inflated Mustang isn't going to maintain demand for very long. Everyone said the same thing about the new Mustang GT, but we had surplus sitting on local lots not long after they were released.

Your remarks about 500hp being attached to 3900# make more sense to me. That puts it in C6 power-to-weight territory. If you're not going to modify either car (in the interest of warranty), I would prefer the light and better-balanced car. Then again, the Shelby gets you a famous name a little exclusivity. It's all just different strokes for different folks. Either way, demand will fall off.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I don't feel that a 500hp, 3900#, 9000 units/yr, price inflated Mustang isn't going to maintain demand for very long. Everyone said the same thing about the new Mustang GT, but we had surplus sitting on local lots not long after they were released.

Your remarks about 500hp being attached to 3900# make more sense to me. That puts it in C6 power-to-weight territory. If you're not going to modify either car (in the interest of warranty), I would prefer the light and better-balanced car. Then again, the Shelby gets you a famous name a little exclusivity. It's all just different strokes for different folks. Either way, demand will fall off.
we'll see...there is a lot of hype attached to this ride. I don't really care...I am getting it to drive. Maybe when I am 60 I'll get a C6...now a Z06 on the other hand. It's randy baby.
austin_powers.gif

WDW MKR

Established Member
Good deal. It seems that buyers of this car actually using it as intended will be few and far between, until the hype dies down and they become affordable/available. I'm not a Vette man by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd give my left nut for a C6Z in black.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Good deal. It seems that buyers of this car actually using it as intended will be few and far between, until the hype dies down and they become affordable/available. I'm not a Vette man by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd give my left nut for a C6Z in black.
agreed. :lol:

(DK)

Established Member
$50,000 is a poker hand in Las Vegas to some people. Just because you guys can't afford to pay a couple of bucks over sticker, doesn't mean that other people can't.

gonein60

Banned
drmustang said:
Definitely the right money for this car and you will see them sold in that range eventually.
I hope for my sake you're right. Heck I only make a measly 80k a year, and I'm gonna be lucky if I can afford one. Some guys on here probably make ten times that.

Last edited:

GTWill

Established Member
(DK) said:
$50,000 is a poker hand in Las Vegas to some people. Just because you guys can't afford to pay a couple of bucks over sticker, doesn't mean that other people can't.
At least you get the thrill of betting on your hand. They probably won't pay the extra 10k to take it in the a$$,

broeli

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
When I get my shelby it's going on a diet...3600# is the goal...and man that 3.3L whipple is looking mighty tempting. hmm...full long tube exhaust, cai, tune, 3.3 @ 15psi, 3600#...630rwhp 10.XX's all day.
Don't forget to throw RODS into that list of upgrades...

MyLEEN00

Established Member
I just talked to a friend of mine last night who owns a local used car dealership, he told me that he was next on the list to order a shelby and the guy before him backed out. So he went through all of the details and they told him that it would be 5-10k over msrp. He is expecting to get it for around the 50-55k mark. He said he might keep it a few weeks and then put it up for sale on ebay or something.

I wish I had the cash to get it b/c i know he would cut me a deal......

broeli

Established Member
MyLEEN00 said:
I just talked to a friend of mine last night who owns a local used car dealership, he told me that he was next on the list to order a shelby and the guy before him backed out. So he went through all of the details and they told him that it would be 5-10k over msrp. He is expecting to get it for around the 50-55k mark. He said he might keep it a few weeks and then put it up for sale on ebay or something.

I wish I had the cash to get it b/c i know he would cut me a deal......
Cut you a deal?! If he's paying 5-10k over how much of a deal would you really get? He's not going to take a loss. Anything over msrp is just crazy. IMO, the Shelby isn't even worth msrp...maybe invoice (around 35k) :)

TO_04Cobra

Established Member
paying over msrp is for posers/braggarts (undisciplined fools really); children need to be the first at school with the new Ipod/other gizmo, so they can say, "look at me...!"

in Toronto, Z06's were advertised at 10-15K over msrp months ago (or not available at all per salesmen). now there are > 12 advertised/available at/near msrp; 6 mnths from now they will be giving them away.

be a kid and buy your shelby now; be wise, show a little discipline (which will help you later in life) and pay msrp and below after 3-9 months post availability...

basic principles of economics and human irrational behavior are essentially carved in stone... chose which side of the "irrational behavior" ledger by your purchase decision.

broeli

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
They will be fine till ~700 + whp/tq if not more.
Where have you been? It has been discussed that they are the weak link, similar to the situation with the 03/04's pistons, and most definitely will not handle that type of power. They aren't the same rods as are found in the GT's 5.4
To help you get up to date on what they're said to handle...600hp.

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
broeli said:
Where have you been? It has been discussed that they are the weak link, similar to the situation with the 03/04's pistons, and most definitely will not handle that type of power. They aren't the same rods as are found in the GT's 5.4
There are lots of 03-04 Cobras that lived well beyond 800rwhp...so I don't see your point? My 04 motor has been living for 22K miles...and the only problem I ever had was a top end issue. PS 10K miles was with 570-620rwhp from a 2.2KB.

The pistons are fine if the car is fed good fuel and tune properly. Just like the rods in the shelby will be fine when the car is set up properly.

broeli

Established Member
Not going to argue with you. I'm telling you what they are said to SAFELY handle. If you want to risk your motor by breaking a rod with more hp than they're made to handle...go for it...it's your car and your money. Makes no difference to me :D

Last edited:

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
broeli said:
Not going to argue with you. I'm telling you what they are said to SAFELY handle. If you want to risk your motor by breaking a rod with more hp than they're made to handle...go for it...it's your car and your money. Makes no difference to me :D

All these "must have a Shelby now no matter the cost" fools can be our test mules. No one knows for sure how must boost these engines can take. The 03/04 Cobras have already proved what they can do; the Shelby's have not. It would not surprise me in the least if Ford has designed these engines to kaboom beyond a certain boost level.

apache driver

Established Member
(DK) said:

Some of us drive a mustang by choice, not because we can't afford a vette. So don't assume so much. People are just saying the car isn't worth a couple bucks (5-10 grand over msrp). Let me give you an analogy so you can see how a mustang guy thinks. Why would I pay $100 for a Bl*w job from a hot chick when your mom will give me one for free. See what I mean?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread