Why should I get a 2003 Cobra?

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Hey, I know all too wel about the hemi QC ram - ben there, done that. I had swapped from a 98 cummins ram to the hemi. I hated the gas mileage, and i hated the lack of low end torque (having a diesel will spoil you). I ended up trading it in after only 3 months to get the new Cummins 600 ram.
The cobra will net you around 18-20ish if you keep your foot out of it

peace

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
redstaf426 said:
Yeah,please don't get the GTO,tis ugly and slow :xpl:

I know the new ones are faster and modded with some rice accessories,but still....
I agree. I'm not a fan of the new GTO but the '05 plays the part much better than the '04. 400 hp, hood scoops, dual exhaust tips (on each side like they should have been), etc.

dougwg

Established Member
How ironic it is, that CobraBob is in a thread titled "Why should I get a 2003 Cobra?" :poke: :)

Fleck 5

Established Member
Gas mileage is important to me said:
The gas mileage for these cars varies a lot. Do a search because it has been discussed a lot and there are even a couple polls. This is the worst MPG mustang I have owned. I get 14.5 MPG around town. I have gotten 19.5 MPG as my best mileage. I have not taken the car on any long trips but my commute used to be 90% highway miles. From what I have read, I am gettting worse gas mileage than most Cobras. I don't know if it is my driving or the car. From what I understand, these cars run rich and a tune can help the gas mileage.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Give me a break!

StngStr said:
If you have to ask, then it's not for you.

Havent you ever heard that there is no such thing as a stupid question...lol. I have asked on both sides, the only reason I was leaning more towards the WS6 is because I have driven my friends a couple of times. I have already said that I need to test drive the Cobra..so its settled. The answers I have recieved on the WS6 side is mainly on appearance. The WS6 looks meaner than the Cobra IMO, mainly because of the ram air hood with the two huge nostrils. I have learned so far....WS6=lower price, mean look, better gas mileage, lighter than the Cobra, not so easy $$$ to mod. Cobra=more pricey, meaner look than Camaro, much faster, easy $$$ to mod, a little heavier. Solution..drive Cobra......hypothesis ??????
But I will continue to :read:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
My mileage went from 20.2 to 23.1 after the pulley change (Stock -> 2.8 with tune) and I think part of that is that I'm in the gas for shorter periods of time due to the HP increase. It simply takes less time to get there. However, when I'm playing hard, the mileage is 1 - 2 worse. That MPG above is 80% HWY 20% City.

Screamin04Cobra

Established Member
I get awesome MPG on the highway. Taken two long trips and average 25mpg with average speed 75. But around town not to good15 to 16 mpg but there again the only way to get good gas mileage with these cars is put a brick under the pedal. Come on , we bought these cars for what they were made for, not for MPG. If you did, you screwed up!!!! Who can honestly say they were or are concerned about MPG , we care about badass cars that can't be touched!!!

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
damn im gettin like 14, 15 at the best... and i think i drive good i shift at like 2500 rpms usually, lately like 3000 lol

Pyro

Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
My mileage went from 20.2 to 23.1 after the pulley change (Stock -> 2.8 with tune) and I think part of that is that I'm in the gas for shorter periods of time due to the HP increase. It simply takes less time to get there. However, when I'm playing hard, the mileage is 1 - 2 worse. That MPG above is 80% HWY 20% City.

I agree 100%. After my pulley and tune, I reached a best of 23 mpg but that was limited to 60 mph comutes due to the Highway Patrol and no traffic.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Yes I agree of having the bad a$$ car, but I would like the best of both worlds. And no, Im not gonna rice out a Honda. 22 mpg is pretty good considering you have a pulley, etc.

Fleck 5

Established Member
Wings65288 said:
damn im gettin like 14, 15 at the best... and i think i drive good i shift at like 2500 rpms usually, lately like 3000 lol

This is the way I drive with the same crappy mileage. I guess it is our particular cars.

redstaf426

Established Member
Lloyd Xmas said:
Yes I agree of having the bad a$$ car, but I would like the best of both worlds. And no, Im not gonna rice out a Honda. 22 mpg is pretty good considering you have a pulley, etc.

What's wrong with a riced out Honda??My Honda was faster then my Cobra...Not no more though :-D

Fleck 5

Established Member
Lloyd Xmas

You are right on about the comparison of the three cars. You are missing a couple things though. These cars are built on a 20 + year old platform. Consequently, the IRS wasn't meant to be in these cars and there are issues with the rear end creaking and real bad wheel hop. There are several mods out there that can solve this problem including better tires and sub frame connectors. Ford didn't exceed their quality budget on these cars. The list of minor (and some times major) problems on these cars is endless. If you surf through the forums, you will see what I am talking about. Fortunately, Ford spent the money on the most important parts of these cars, the motor and the tranny. They are both tough and will take a beating but realize that it is built on a dying platform that Ford has milked its last dollar out of. To sum it up, The possibilities of the 03' - 04 Cobras is endless, just don't have real high standards for quality as you will be dissappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread