Wideband question

toomanytoys

Established Member
How do you know when a wideband sensor has gone bad? I hadn't driven the car for about a month and the battery went dead. When the battery refused to take a charge I put in a new one. After I started the car I noticed the wideband reading lean (16:1)afr. I drove the car around a little and the gauge is staying toward the lean side (I didn't beat on it. Just light throttle). I checked the car for vacuum leaks and can't find any. The aeroforce is showing 19.5 inches of vacuum at idle which it has always been at. Could the o2 sensor be bad ?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
As stated above, it is most likely the sensor or it needs calibration. My engine pulls a consistent 22.5" of vacuum and my wide band is rock steady at 14.7.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen a few different methods, whoever made your wideband should have instructions

cj428mach

Established Member
You'll have to google your model to see if it requires calibration. I had an AEM UEGO with the separate controller and there was no calibration required for it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
When my wideband sensors go bad there are a couple symptoms I've had. One is a very noticeable delay. My stoich is always 14.3-14.7, so if it's staying in the 13's or 15's I know it's bad. Other times it will just be stuck at 10.00 or 19.99. It seems I go through a sensor every 12-18 months.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
When my wideband sensors go bad there are a couple symptoms I've had. One is a very noticeable delay. My stoich is always 14.3-14.7, so if it's staying in the 13's or 15's I know it's bad. Other times it will just be stuck at 10.00 or 19.99. It seems I go through a sensor every 12-18 months.
My DJ is 8 years old, but I don't run the power you guys do. Not why that would make a difference though.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I wonder if Bdubbs running E85 has an affect on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure but I believe Jeff changes his yearly. I use the good Bosch lsu 4.9 sensor too.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
AEM UEGO widebands don't need calibration. Usually when the sensor goes bad it will be stuck in the 14.7 range. Check again for leaks. Check your ground. I went through this headache myself a few months ago except my gauge was reading full rich. I changed the sensor, moved the ground, checked for leaks and it ended up being the gauge itself was bad.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have an LC1 with Bosch sensor, it's a minimum of 8 years old. It works great to this day, tight 14.5-14.9 idle sweep and immediate reaction to throttle inputs. It has a calibration button mounted under the dash and is intended for "free air" calibration (i.e. unscrew the sensor from the bung and let it hang out). I've never done that lol. I just let the car sit a few days and hit the calibrate button once every few months before firing the motor.

All good.

Users who are viewing this thread